Hama interview

BrotherShane

I ran across this Larry Hama interview yesterday, and thought I'd pass it along.

THanks, that was interesting.

He seems kind of jaded.

Ther interviewer didn't seem to know jack about GI JOE Declassified, and possibly Joes in general, it showed in Hama's answers.

I mean they asked him "why he chose those 13 Joes in Declassified?", uhm hello, because those were the first 13.

Then They asked him "does JOE DEclassified bridge the gap between Marvel and DevilsDue Joe run?" What the hell, do they even know that this is a prequel, it has nothing to do with bridging the gap between the two series.

My favorite was when they asked him about why and how he stuck with the Marvel Joe run for nearly 15 years and Hama replied.."it was a steady paycheck." @loll@

"I'd rather draw ducks" @smilepunch@

OH, and "what made you come back to write for JOE?"

Hama - "I had nothing to do at the time. IF Barbie called and wanted me to do a Barbie comic, I would be doing a Barbie comic right now.'' what a slap in our JOE face. @smilepunch@

Hes still the best damn writer for JOE comics.

Yeah the interviewer didn't seem to know squat about Joe! :D And I agree nobody beats Hama in Joe comics.

As much as I love his work on Joe, you could just call it a fluke. To be handed a writing assignment that has it own "universe" and has very little imput from the companies is almost a dream come true. But then he really wrote some great wolverine stories for Marvel at a time when Wolvie wasn't really Wolvie. I just don't see why more companies haven't tried getting him to work with them.

THE PULSE: When you were just getting into the writing of the series, which character(s) did you relate to the most? Why?

HAMA: I liked Snake-Eyes, Storm-Shadow, and Scarlett. They are like my Krazy Kat, Ignatz and Offisa Pup. All the other characters are just there to support their story.

just like how I felt when I was a kid, I only wanted to see storm shadow and snake eyes.

Um it says at the end of that the third issue of Declassified is out this month. What happened to the second issue? Did I miss it? WTF?

Phanstar

yeah Hama is the man. Declassified #2 is awesome. I suggest you guys pick it up. The interview was informative. It seems like he is resigned to the fact that he is an "oldschool" writer and that people don't want to read his style of writing anymore. It is unfortunate, as I see the downfall of the marvel series due to hasbro's insistence on making Hama put numerous new characters and vehicles in every later issue. It made it hard to get into the characters. Plus a lot of the later hasbro characters, from 1989 to 1994 were crap in my opinion.

As much as I love his work on Joe, you could just call it a fluke. To be handed a writing assignment that has it own "universe" and has very little imput from the companies is almost a dream come true. But then he really wrote some great wolverine stories for Marvel at a time when Wolvie wasn't really Wolvie. I just don't see why more companies haven't tried getting him to work with them.

"I would go along if it was to my advantage to do so. If something really stuck in my craw or was egregious to the Nth degree, I would ignore it. Or I would threaten to quit."

That could be the answer right there. :)

Guest McBragg
HAMA: I liked Snake-Eyes, Storm-Shadow, and Scarlett. They are like my Krazy Kat, Ignatz and Offisa Pup. All the other characters are just there to support their story.

That's why so many of the later issues mostly sucked IMHO, and these days I have fonder memories of the cartoons. ninjas are cool to a point, then I started wondering what happened to the team. They even called the comic GIJOE STARRING SNAKE EYES. it was a good thing there were different entities for Joe stories, despite what some fans think. Would anyone remember Shipwreck as anything but "that sailor" if it weren't for 80's toons?

HAMA: Josh had called me to let me know. I never expected to be asked to write anything for the book. I am, to most current readers a dinosaur and my work is termed "old school." A very senior editor at Marvel once told me that my work was "old fashioned" because it "made sense and the characters were likeable." I realize now that he was putting me down, but I took it then as a compliment. I understand perfectly where I stand in the scheme of things now. Life is change. Stagnation is death. We all move on. Next question.

Ouch. I like old school comics more, even those later Joe issue I just complained about. @smilepunch@ . He makes some good points. But comics are too pricey to be accessible to anyone outside of the comic scene. Everytime I see one, I think $3!! That's real money.