Heavy Metal replacement mic

Sephiroth

your right, there is nothing i can do about it. i just think its too bad. and for the record, i dont dislike repros, i dislike repros that are being sold to people that might not be joe collectors, but instead people who can get their hands on a very collectible accessory and see it as a marketing opportunity. thats all. oh, and maybe the figures take $600 initially to produce, but i know small accesories and heads dont take any equipment at all, just the mold and the resin.

-saboteur

Resin and silicon mold can be expensive. I know a sample kit is 32 bucks, but not sure how much the rest are. I think for a oil size can of resin(seen some at the hobby shop) is 15. Silicon is I dunno. I think [a very very rough estimate] it should be around 80 bucks if you are making 50 or more mics or whatever. If small parts are really 600, why do the common heads?

Oh well, most ppl who do them do not do much research and runs the risk of heart problems since it is dangerous to do. Me thinks that the transformer repro guy had had a heart problem in the past soley because of repro making.

i've casted things in the past, and a starter kit costing around $25 can get you A LOT of casts and plenty of silicone to make moulds. wih something as small as a mic, it would take hardly any resin, and the mould would be very small as well. pressure moulds would be more pricey, but you dont need them for acc. and heads.

-saboteur

Seph- I don't have much to say, except that you could have gotten the same piece from me for about $5 less. I deliberately leave them in wonky colors so you have to paint it to match.

And for the record, selling repros of vintage out of production parts DOES NOT hurt the company. The effect on the collector market is negligable, at best, since most collectors that will pay that price for a piece will know the difference almost immediately.

My HM Mic auction

I got one from ya at the Con mine is in black! Cool piece.

Well i do agree repo parts should not be very expensive,and should always be labeled cast copys,the casting came about more for customizers and not for resale,those who can not cast or have no access to casting,well they pay for casted items,in the end if you wanna buy a casted mic for 20.00 its your money and if you wanna buy the original for 100.00 again your choice.

Everybody has the right to feel how they do,I think its fine you voiced your feelings,and i think its fine others do also,kinda what makes the spice on the boards sometime,at the end of the day we all have 1 thing in comman and its our love for joes and or toys.

Hmm great topic but I can tell you guys that a Mic will be released in Marauder Series #3. The Marauder version will be ALMOST an exact duplicate, but in BLACK, not brown...and only $2.

Now come on you can't go wrong with a Mic for $2.00. shoot at that price buy 10!

Just think of all of the cool ass customs you can make with all of those mics. and if your not really that anal about having the real mic for your HM, just tose one of MJ's mics on.

i always wondered why heavy metal had a 5 o'clock shadow on his nose :huh:

or is that a tanline/dirtline from his goggles?

-saboteur

Its a dirty line around where the googles sat. :) the mail away doesn't even have it!

i've casted things in the past, and a starter kit costing around $25 can get you A LOT of casts and plenty of silicone to make moulds. wih something as small as a mic, it would take hardly any resin, and the mould would be very small as well. pressure moulds would be more pricey, but you dont need them for acc. and heads.

-saboteur

ah. Thanks. I wanted to do casting years ago but a person on another forum kept saying it is too dangerous and expensive and such despite that other experts told me (and seein that hobby stores do sell homemade resin in cans) it is alright as long as I have proper equipment to protect my lungs(which I do.) Guess that person said so to keep casting to a mimmium since he was doing it to make money.

Hmm great topic but I can tell you guys that a Mic will be released in Marauder Series #3. The Marauder version will be ALMOST an exact duplicate, but in BLACK, not brown...and only $2.

Now come on you can't go wrong with a Mic for $2.00. shoot at that price buy 10!

Just think of all of the cool ass customs you can make with all of those mics. and if your not really that anal about having the real mic for your HM, just tose one of MJ's mics on.

I would be interested.

I've always took it to be a Confederate States of America belt buckle.

well, theres no "A" so it must stand for something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS

What do you think?

I say either Counterstrike or Cybersex. @loll@

-saboteur

ah. Thanks. I wanted to do casting years ago but a person on another forum kept saying it is too dangerous and expensive and such despite that other experts told me (and seein that hobby stores do sell homemade resin in cans) it is alright as long as I have proper equipment to protect my lungs(which I do.) Guess that person said so to keep casting to a mimmium since he was doing it to make money.

yeah, people sometimes say casting is EXtremely expensive *cough* or very dangerous to discourage people from doing it.

-saboteur

I'll have an itemized list for you later on today, Mr. Know-it-all, along with pics of all the tools that you will need to turn out high quality castings instead of your urethane mold Alumilite specials that will be riddled with pinholes and where you'll lose two out of every three parts.

And it is dangerous, if you breath the fumes or vapors for too long, you can do permanent damage to your lungs, and most of the chemicals are caustic. Also, some of the solvents used to clean them are cancer causing agents, and almsot all the chemicals can lead to heart disease and other helth problems if handled improperly.

Oh, and before I forget, Seph, it is cool you scored one. THey make a nice addition, adn really make the figure look much better.

like i said, complete figures maybe do need more equipment, and therefore more money to make, but smaller stuff doesnt. and as for health issues, the chemicals are known carcinogens. however, if you use them in a well ventilated area, and i even use latex gloves when mixing, it really isnt worse than spraypainting or other similar activities where ventilated areas are advised. i've heard of some people getting rashes while using them as well, but this is avoided by using gloves.

-saboteur

Oh, and before I forget, Seph, it is cool you scored one. THey make a nice addition, adn really make the figure look much better.

Thanks, I would have bought one from you had I seen your auction first. I think the light grey color would have made it easier to paint. it makes the figure look like he's actually talking into the mic rather than just grinning.

Guys, guys, guys.

Let's stop all this fussin' and fuedin' and remember what's important.

Making replacement parts for our G.I. Joe toys to the point that we produce a replacement part so great and dangerous that it destroys us all.

Mwahahahahahaaa!

Tom

PS - I'm all for making EXACT duplicates of rare GI Joe items. If I'll never ever know the difference, and it's really only hurting the "HEAVY METAL MIC - BUY IT NOW FOR $100" eBay seller, so... I think I can still sleep at night.

PS - I'm all for making EXACT duplicates of rare GI Joe items. If I'll never ever know the difference, and it's really only hurting the "HEAVY METAL MIC - BUY IT NOW FOR $100" eBay seller, so... I think I can still sleep at night.

this harbors on my point as well. if someone makes a replacement accessory that is absolutely identical to the original, what would be the difference in those two that is somehow detrimental? they are 100% identical, from plastic quality to detail, and nobody can tell the difference. ultimately, they are the same, regardless of whether one was made 20 years ago, so knowing that it was made 20 years later only affects how you think of the part, not what the part is.

I am all for repro parts. and when the caster goes out of his way to differentiate the part from an original so as to not infringe upon the anal retentiveness of collectors, I see absolutley nothing wrong with it.

Guest McBragg

I'm not only for people making exact duplicates of GI JOE items, but I encourage people to taking up castings and not do it safely, so when then keel over dead, i can buy their Joe collections from their uninformed widows and heirs at cheap prices. @firedevil@

I've always took it to be a Confederate States of America belt buckle.

I just remembered.......there would be no way on earth that the "CS" would stand for "confederate states" because Heavy Metal was from Brooklyn, Ny and we all know New York was no way a confederate state!