Bootlegs

heroicnonsense

Hey all,

Lately, bootlegs of G1 Optimus Prime, Beachcomber and Soundwave's cassettes have shown up. These bootlegs are very accurate and are nothing like the Constructicons, Terrorcons, Protectobots Aerialbots and "TechnoStuntibotcons" sets that can be found on eBay.

In fact, the new bootlegs come in realistic packaging and have working rubsigns. An example of bootleg Beachcomber can be found here, while this is a set of bootlegged Buzzsaw and Rumble.

More worrying is the bootlegged Prime which is now also sold in parts (i.e. box/insert or unused stickersheets) on eBay (here and here for example).

Has anybody on here been fooled by these yet? Is there a way to tell them apart from The Real Thing (other than the fact sellers usually have stacks of them in stock for really low prices and stuff like transparent or black versions are freely available from them instead of being show exclusives that is)?

The reason why i'm asking is that I recently purchased a MOSC Seaspray on eBay. Now i'm beginning to wonder if it's a real one or not.

From a picture, it can be hard to tell sometimes, but the plastics on them is much cheaper and terribly brittle. The cardbacks/boxes are the wrong card stock and the paint details are usually pretty sloppy. That said the KO tapes are pretty cool, I have several of them. Something fairly new to the KO world are the KO Binaltechs

TF-RMBTx9-2.jpg

lastyear.gif

I can't believe there are people who haven't seen these yet. They've been around ages, especially the minibots (of which there's more than just Beachcomber. Theres also Seaspray and another one, I forget who).

I've got the Prime and it's pretty damn good. There are ways of telling they're fake though:

* the grey ring around the box window, surrounds Prime completely. On the real one, the line across the top of the trailer isn't there.

* The Ravages on the back of the box are cut off at the top, and from the front the "TRANSFORMERS" writing on the flap sits level with the fold.

* There is a crease on the back of the flap all the way along. Not so far through that it fols, but a clear line is visible.

* The box has a kind of frosty feel to it

It depends on the price of your Seasprey, heroicnonsence. Most MOSC Seaspreys I've seen seem not too pricy so its probably the real deal! :)

lastyear.gif

I can't believe there are people who haven't seen these yet. They've been around ages, especially the minibots (of which there's more than just Beachcomber. Theres also Seaspray and another one, I forget who).

I've got the Prime and it's pretty damn good. There are ways of telling they're fake though:

* the grey ring around the box window, surrounds Prime completely. On the real one, the line across the top of the trailer isn't there.

* The Ravages on the back of the box are cut off at the top, and from the front the "TRANSFORMERS" writing on the flap sits level with the fold.

* There is a crease on the back of the flap all the way along. Not so far through that it fols, but a clear line is visible.

* The box has a kind of frosty feel to it

As for the pic you posted, didn't it already modified by a former adcer since I recall some poster altered it to put his face on it.

Don't now about Prime, but for the tapes, it's easy to tell they're KO's because they're all plastic. Laserbeak/Buzzsaw's top half shoud be metal, while Frenzy/Rumble's toes and round internal shoulder pieces should be metal. Sure Hasbro got cheap in 1986 and released a plastic-toe Frenzy, but that came with gold weapons.

Still, the clear variations are cool. I normally don't get KO's and don't condone them, but the clear blue ones are just too cool to pass up.

I have the clear, the orange "fire crystal", the blue "ice crystal" and the the white set of those.

I generally don't buy knock-offs, but like 3S said, the cassettes are pretty cool

I have the clear, the orange "fire crystal", the blue "ice crystal" and the the white set of those.

I generally don't buy knock-offs, but like 3S said, the cassettes are pretty cool

From a picture, it can be hard to tell sometimes, but the plastics on them is much cheaper and terribly brittle. The cardbacks/boxes are the wrong card stock and the paint details are usually pretty sloppy. That said the KO tapes are pretty cool, I have several of them. Something fairly new to the KO world are the KO Binaltechs

TF-RMBTx9-2.jpg

Some of these are cool, I want a few, how do they compare with the regular alts/bts? how much and where can you get them?.. I most likely won't buy any but its good to know :D

those tape KOs are nice too, I'm surprised someone at takara has not put these out as "stealth" versions or something allready...

lazerbeak is the best! & that bt 05 would make for a great jaz in white

those tape KOs are nice too, I'm surprised someone at takara has not put these out as "stealth" versions or something allready...

clear blue kicks ass, but it would be even cooler to get them (especially Ravage) in clear black.

Then whoever made these made Beachcomber as the next KO, which struck me as kinda odd. Since Has-Tak won't do Ratbat, I was hoping for a clear Ratbat.