Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Play Nick Fury

Guest Steve Rogers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Animalchandler is right. Comics in the 60s didn't reflect society. The Ultimate-verse in an attempt to add another level of realisim which means increased diversity. If they aren't going to add new characters, this means changing the race of some, like Fury and the Wasp.

Second, it's not really fair comparing that to changing the race of Blade or Black Panther. Their being black is part of the characters' story and identity. Panther is an African Prince and Blade is a from the projects.

Fury's race really has nothing to do with his character. I would say that for some characters, their being white is a part of their story. Iron Man for instance is an elite and privileged society playboy and business mogul. That he is part of the dominant class and race is really a part of his story so changing his race at this point in the development of our society just wouldn't work very well.

The only problem I would really have Jackson is that he's suppose to be really physical, what with the jet pack and martial arts fights against large groups of goons. Jackson may be a little long in the tooth for that kind of roll.

Fury's race really has nothing to do with his character. I would say that for some characters, their being white is a part of their story. Iron Man for instance is an elite and privileged society playboy and business mogul. That he is part of the dominant class and race is really a part of his story so changing his race at this point in the development of our society just wouldn't work very well.

Sure his race is a major part of his character. Nick Fury, if memory serves, is taken from Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos. Although I do not know for sure, he started as a Sgt in World War II. He is suppose to come off as a gritty/crusty John Wayne type war vet. I can't say for fact, but I don't believe there were to many Black Officers in World War II

i want a 616 nick fury before the utimate one

but i would be funny if in the movie sam jackson has a cameo as another nick fury scene time

cherk:mr fury you gave me the wrong change

Nick fury:but i gave you exhact change

cherk:wait...your not him

sam jackson: i think she talkin to me

they look at each other both have on simaer chothes and eye patches the cherk gives sam the money and continue on

Nick fury:huh....that was weird lights up a shogie walks on

End

Joe Quesada addressed the issue of old school 616 fans hating the Ultimate universe at WWC earlier this month. I think he really hit the nail on the head.

His argument was that you've got all these people whining because they think never mucking around with their precious characters and making sure writers pay attention to every little detail in 40+ years of history is more important than being able to tell a good story. He then cited Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns as being arguably the greates comics ever written and pointed out that they're both out of primary universe continuity.

Hes made to be Fury!

All kidding aside, I do think that Sam Jackson would do the Ultimate Fury very well. It would prolly be a very fun and entertaining film, too. I'm just used to the Fury of the regular comics/'toons is all.

Man, I was just thinking about this today.... and I hadn't even read this thread or knew anything about it.

Obviously, I think the role is made for SLJ. The movie could be good or bad. As mentioned I cant see SLJ doing all the action/ fighting etc.

As for all this making white characters black... I was talking with my friend (who is black) and we agreed it was all bs. If Marvel want more black characters, invent some new ones. Don't steal our memories from us like George Lucas did in Star Wars.

Black Kingpin? What a crock of sh!t. Puhlease.

As for all this making white characters black... I was talking with my friend (who is black) and we agreed it was all bs. If Marvel want more black characters, invent some new ones. Don't steal our memories from us like George Lucas did in Star Wars.

Black Kingpin? What a crock of sh!t. Puhlease.

EXACTLY, make new characters, don't screw around with the current ones. theres no reason what so ever the new head of ultimate SHIELD couldn't be a new character entirely, they didn't need to alter Nick

What I don't get is why people can cary hatred for the Ultimate Marvel Universe. If you aren't a fan of what the books have done, just don't pick them up. It's not like they erased the 616 MU to make room for ultimate. It's an alternate universe, skin color could easily be changed in an alternate universe. People who don't like gay Collosus, or Black Fury, you can still read about their WASPY versions in regular books.

Nick Fury isn't a real man, he has no definite skin color, nothing has to change about the character for him to be a different race, if you think it does, then you are a racist. It is reasonable to critisize Colossus being gay, because it changes things, such as the relationship between him and Kitty. But skin color has nothing to do with what's inside.

If they want to make Kingpin black in a movie, good for them. It's not like any of the comic movies are anything like their origin books. In "World Trade Center", they did make a black guy a white guy. So don't pretend it's never happened that way before.

New characters have been made, but hardly any ever get the respect of the classics. The Falcon, Bishop, Blade, Black Panther, all were made, with varying success. But the only high ranking black person in comics as far as being known by the masses is Storm. They don't have the rep that Hulk, Spider-Man, Batman have.

Characters made in the last decade have not done very well for themselves. Any new black characters they would make wouldn't be any more popular than Patriot, Gravity or Rockslide.

Everything said against having a blac Fury has no merrit as far as I'm concerned.

"Sure his race is a major part of his character. Nick Fury, if memory serves, is taken from Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos. Although I do not know for sure, he started as a Sgt in World War II. He is suppose to come off as a gritty/crusty John Wayne type war vet. I can't say for fact, but I don't believe there were to many Black Officers in World War II"

i've known some veterans that would care to differ with you on that one...skott

I don't believe there were to many Black Officers in World War II"

I you watch that movie "Saving Private Ryan", you will see no black soldiers at all! :o

I hope not.. because I definitely prefer the normal Marvel stuff over anything Ultimate... they are just better characters.

but if for some stupid reason, they do decided to make an Ultimates movie, I hope Jackson is Fury.... even though I won't pay to see it.

Nick Fury isn't a real man, he has no definite skin color, nothing has to change about the character for him to be a different race, if you think it does, then you are a racist. It is reasonable to critisize Colossus being gay, because it changes things, such as the relationship between him and Kitty. But skin color has nothing to do with what's inside.

of course, if anybody ever has anything ill to say about a black person (real or not) it's racism. bottom line is we have as much right to criticise as you do to enjoy them.

True.

But I'm guessing that Ultimate Nick Fury will gain as many fans as the old one, and in the same way that 'Sgt Fury' is 'the' Nick Fury for the older readers, the Ultimate Nick Fury will be 'the' Nick Fury for the group of people that pick up the Ultimate universes books.

With regard to Kingpin, I thought it was a sound choice, Michael Clarke Duncan has the build, the look, the presence even for the Kingpin. Why should he not be given the part?

I remember when uber sci fi actor Patrick Stewart Played Othello with an all Black cast (save him of course) no one said anything about that, and Stewart played the part in the fantastic Patrick Stewart-esque way that he's known for.

What I don't get is why people can cary hatred for the Ultimate Marvel Universe. If you aren't a fan of what the books have done, just don't pick them up. It's not like they erased the 616 MU to make room for ultimate. It's an alternate universe, skin color could easily be changed in an alternate universe. People who don't like gay Collosus, or Black Fury, you can still read about their WASPY versions in regular books.

Exactly right. They can ignore the books. But if there is going to be a MOVIE, people have a right to weigh in on which version they prefer.

Nick Fury isn't a real man, he has no definite skin color, nothing has to change about the character for him to be a different race, if you think it does, then you are a racist.

Dumbest leap in "logic" I have ever seen. Congrats.

If they want to make Kingpin black in a movie, good for them. It's not like any of the comic movies are anything like their origin books. In "World Trade Center", they did make a black guy a white guy. So don't pretend it's never happened that way before.

Making gross 'apples to oranges' comparisons is not going to lend any cred to your argument. This was a disucssion about whether a WELL-KNOWN character who has been around for DECADES should be shown on the big screen w/ a significant change to his character. Your comparison deals w/ a movie that depicts a real-life situation and involves someone that 95% of the viewing audience will know nothing about when they step into the theatre to see the movie. Most people don't know if that man was black, white or pink. His friends and family should be pissed that fact was changed, but no one else will care.

Everything said against having a blac Fury has no merrit as far as I'm concerned.

Same goes for your argument because it has more holes than swiss cheese. #US1#

"This was a disucssion about whether a WELL-KNOWN character who has been around for DECADES should be shown on the big screen w/ a significant change to his character."

but we're not talking a significant change to his character...we're talking about a visual detail...he'd still be a gruff, bad-ass, eye-patched veteran turned head of shield...he'd still still be the same guy...if the only difference is that he's black there's really no reason to get your panties in a bunch...it's like the people that hate batman begins because his suit is black and not grey...if the character is right isn't that all that matters?...

"

Nick Fury isn't a real man, he has no definite skin color, nothing has to change about the character for him to be a different race, if you think it does, then you are a racist.

Dumbest leap in "logic" I have ever seen. Congrats."

no it really isn't....if the only difference is skin color and someone's screaming about how they ruined character...it really does sound like "i can't believe they cast that colored boy"...

"Making gross 'apples to oranges' comparisons is not going to lend any cred to your argument....Your comparison deals w/ a movie that depicts a real-life situation and involves someone that 95% of the viewing audience will know nothing about when they step into the theatre to see the movie."

you're right here...it is apples to oranges...because in world trade center IT'S A REAL PERSON!...sam jackson as nick fury is an effective shorthand to instantly convey bad-ass...much like how john wayne or steve mcqueen would be to previous generations...making the guy in world trade center white is most likely an attempt to placate audiences that wouldn't neccessarily buy a black hero...again you're right...it is apples to oranges...with fury it's a fictional character whose skin color has never been a part of who he is at all...with WTC is not only inaccurate but it's disrespectful...

...skott

but we're not talking a significant change to his character...we're talking about a visual detail...he'd still be a gruff, bad-ass, eye-patched veteran turned head of shield...he'd still still be the same guy...if the only difference is that he's black there's really no reason to get your panties in a bunch...it's like the people that hate batman begins because his suit is black and not grey...if the character is right isn't that all that matters?...

Thats actually a great way to see this change. If Fury's race is an important element to his character and backstory then it shouldn't be altered, but if not, then there should not be a real problem with making him black or white.

I didn't see to many X-Men fans complain when Iceman wasn't depicted as his joking immature character or that Pyro had been Americanized in the X-Films, or when their costumes had been dramatically altered so the same rules should apply to a cosmetic change. And just like you said, the Batman suit was black, but it had no baring on Batman's character.

I don't get all this "his race has nothing to do with his character." What BS. Everyone's racial background is part of the core of their self-image and how they identify with both themselves and others. That's like saying Storm could be turned into a man because if it doesn't change her powers, story or background, it's fine - so let's have an African god-like character that the Africans come to view as divine but he is unsure of who he is, etc. etc. etc. Storm fans would be jumping mad about a change like that. Imagine if I turned a black man into a white man and said "hey, don't worry about it, you're still the same person with the same background." I don't think that would go over very well.

Our racial background isn't just like being blonde or brunette. All races are equal, deserve the same fair treatment, and no one race is better than any other. But to indivudual people (or characters) what race they are is part of who they are. It's not a matter of changing hair color or going bald. Changing a character's ethnic background would change that character fundamentally - how they see themselves, their world-view, on so on.

So like I said, BS - you could change Blade into a white guy then. Being black isn't necessary for the story of a half-vampire who hunts other vampires. So he's from the slums - I know there are also poor white people in bad parts of New York City. So c'mon, let's change Blade into a blonde white man and see how all these people defending Fury's change forget their posts here and go ape-sh*t over the racsists at Marvel for changing a black charcter white.

Give me Earth-616 Nick Fury! How about Dennis Quaid?

One other view on this - I want to clarify that I don't "hate" Ultimates or Ult. Nick Fury. I don't care that they made an alternate universe and in that one Nick Fury is black. Sure, why not, it's all just fiction. In my opinion they're TWO different characters (and they are, 'cause Earth 616 characters often meet their counterparts from other universes). My gripe though is how this may effect the movie. As you can see from my sig and avatar I'm a big Earth-616 Fury fan. Now I hear they're going to make a Nick Fury movie but it may not be the character I like. It'll be the other character, and my chance for a movie version of MY favorite will be lost.

Let's assume that only one version will ever be made for the big screen (yes, Hasselhoff was Fury once, but it was made-for-TV and largely unknown and forgotten about). Now if this movie with Sam Jackson is a flop, Marvel will not sink money into an Earth-616 Nick Fury movie - why would they? But if Sam Jackson's movie is a hit, then all that will follow is Ultimate Nick Fury merchandising, sequels, cartoons, etc. So again, Marvel won't put money into making a competing Nick Fury movie.

I collect Nick Fury memorabilia and merchandise, which is really tough compared to collecting Spider-Man or Captain America stuff (or even Dr. Strange stuff for that matter, since Fury's not quite a super-hero). I see this debate important to me as a fan because which version gets a big-screen movie will be the version that gets all the "stuff." I would love to see Earth-616 Fury backpacks, lunch boxes, keychains, t-shirts, running pants, you name it. As a Fury collector it would be like hitting the gold-mine of all time. And since I see the two versions as DIFFERENT characters, I want the version I'm a fan of to prevail in what movie is made. I don't think that makes me a racist.

Imagine if you heard Marvel was either going to make an Iron Man movie or a War Machine movie - but not both because of the closeness in concepts. Let's say you love War Machine and are a huge fan. You're going to beg Marvel to make the War Machine one while Iron Man fans will say how cool Timothy Dalton would be as Tony Stark. You're not racist, you just want to big break to be for the character you prefer.