C-3PO with Ewok Throne

Whitewolf

Got ol' Goldenrod in the mail today. Opened the package, took him out and examined him. That's about the time my jaw dropped onto the floor...

The phrase "OMFG" was one of the first things that came to mind about this figure. This, to date, is THE definitive C-3PO. I'd even venture to say that this is what the VOTC Threepio should have been 2 years ago. The first thing I noticed about this figure is the color. It's much more yellow than on previous incarnations of Threepio, giving him a truly "golden" luster. The right shin and foot have also finally been corrected, allowing him to sport his trademark Original Trilogy silver leg.

C-3PO001.jpg

C-3PO002.jpg

Threepio has an impressive 10 points of articulation. Ball sockets in the neck, waist and lower hips (more on that in a moment); and standard swivel joints in the arms, upper hips and knees. These new articulation points give this droid the ability to be posed in ways previously impossible. The hips and knees are molded in an opaque yellowish ABS plastic that, at first glance, blends into the rest of his body fairly well. Under the harsh light of my camera flash, it shows up much more than under regular room lighting conditions. The hips are "double-jointed"...well, sort of. The legs attach to the torso with the standard swivel joint, but just below that, the legs have a ball socket joint that allows the leg to rotate from side to side. This allows the figure to sit at a complete 90-degree angle without the hip plating getting in the way and also allows the entire leg to rotate inward or outward. So Threepio can assume stances where he's "pigeon-toed" or anything else you like. The head is not removable like it is on the ROTS version, and has a very limited range of movement, but is on a ball socket nonetheless. The only removable parts on the droid are the arms.

C-3PO004.jpg

Threepio comes with only one accessory, although its partly disassembled when you take it out of the package...so it gives the impression that there's more in there than there really is.

He comes with:

*Ewok Throne

*Display Base

C-3PO003.jpg

C-3PO005.jpg

As mentioned earlier, this sculpt is brand new. This is perhaps the first time that Hasbro has finally stumbled upon the perfect Protocol Droid head sculpt. He doesn't suffer from the "Elmer Fudd" forehead that practically every other Threepio droid has had since 1995. Nor do the "cheeks" or chin look too thin or fish-like. The arms are pretty much in the same pose as the ROTS version, but are completely new sculpts. The missing thumb that the ROTS Threepio suffered from has been fixed and the lines and molding on the entire figure are far cleaner as well. It seems as though a better vac-metalizing process was used in the production of this figure. Now if only they had gone that extra mile and incorporated ball sockets into the elbows...oh well...

Here's a comparison shot of the ROTS Threepio on the left and the new TSC #42 Threepio on the right:

C-3PO008.jpg

This figure is quite possibly the best 3.75" version of C-3PO that Hasbro has ever done. If this final TSC wave is just a taste of some of the newer stuff coming down the line from Hasbro in the coming years, I can't wait to see what else we're in store for! With that, all I can say about this newest C-3PO is, "All systems have been alerted to your presence, sir."

C-3PO006.jpg