The latest Alternators

pesatyel

On Monday, I found Alternator Camshaft at Walmart. I also picked up Alt. Prime and Mirage (found them at Target and Walmart).

Camshaft: I think the Acura mold works MUCH better for Camshaft then it did Prowl. I'm not talking the "Prowl should have used Smokescreen's mold" thing (personally, I think Prowl and Red Alert should have their own mold). Just that the Acura mold doesn't really work too well for a police car (Japanese cars not withstanding), IMO.

I'm glad Camshaft wasn't a straight repaint (as Rollbar, Richochet and Sunstreaker were), even if the change was minor (a spoiler). I just wish they woulda done a CORRECT head instead of just repainting Prowl's head. Swerve got a new head (instead of just repainting Tracks' head) so why not here?

Mirage: Nice. One of my favorites. Unfortunately, the legs were WAY loose (he comes close to doing the splits all the time and he knees are terrible). I intend to replace him with, hopefully, one that can stand on his own.

the mold is nice and intricate with excellent articulation. The guns are a little weird. I think it woulda worked better if the single engine transformed into some kind of rifle instead of two dinky pistols, but it is suitable. And, unlike most of the other Alts., he holds them quite snuggly. The only problem is that, according to the instructions, the hood of the car folds down to form the robot's chest. There are two flaps on the bottom of the car that fold out and just...rest...on the hood. It makes the chest look awkward as it ends up being off-centered. It is better to just leave the flaps under the hood.

Optimus Prime: EASILY THE WORST ALTERNATOR SO FAR. I'm not even talking the "20th Prime should be considered the Alternator Prime" thing, though I won't deny that has a tiny part in it. The mold just flat out sucks compared to the others. Tracks/Ravage/Swerve and Side Swipe/Dead End/Sunstreaker have quite a bit of kibble, but Prime looks like a giant Gobot with an overly simplistic transformation (for an Alt.).

He's also very back heavy. The figure either leans forward to far on his feet or all the way back on the back of the truck. And what's the deal with the leg parts that flip around? It isn't necessary at all. It doesn't help either that mine's legs are VERY loose, like Mirage. Transforming him I'm almost afraid of breaking the legs off at the hips trying to extend them.

The gun is kinda cool, when folded up but the handle just pops off WAY to easily (as do the front fenders of the truck and the doors). I understand that they are "designed to pop-off with excessive force" but Prime is ridiculous.

I'm debating returning Prime, making him the ONLY Alternator I haven't kept (even considering that Rollbar and Ricochet are just straight repaints).

In the end:

Camshaft: If you liked the Prowl mold, Camshaft is a definate pickup.

Mirage: Excellent alt mode and very nice robot. A definate pick up.

Optimus Prime: If you already have 20th/Masterpiece Prime, go ahead and skip this one (unless, of course, your a die-hard Prime collector, heh).

Not liking the fact that Swerve was made into a Corvette instead of a truck, the only thing I can think of that might get me to keep Alt. Prime is to switch his head with Swerve. At least Swerve would have the "correct" body, even if some of the colors are wrong (but then so are Dead End and Rollbar) and since I really don't NEED an actual Alt. Prime (20th), having him as a Corvette makes me think off a weird Hot Rod.

I have yet to find any of those alts. :(

Try this weekend. It is tax-free weekend, which means lots of parents buying for kids. While it doesn't necessarily mean toys, I noticed that Target, for example, reset their shelves.

I was just surprised to find Camshaft.

Yeah, I found Camshaft just a little while ago. So that officially makes me all caught up for the moment. @bounce@

And to think, my store STILL hasn't done our action figure reset yet. I found everything except for Menasor at other stores. You KNOW that we'll get in every figure that I searched high and low for over the past few weeks (to couple of months) in our store on Monday.

I love Mirage and I even think Prime is a lot better than I thought he'd be. I'm not crazy about the fact that on Prime and Mirage that the chest doesn't really lock down to anything and are really floppy but that's the only real issues I've had with them.

The flaps on Mirage's chest are supposed to hold the chest plate in place. The flaps themsleves have an indention on each side, and the chest has tabs on the sides that are supposed to fit into those indentions. Its the only place that I feel could have been designed better on Mirage. Everything else about him is spot on in my book. The problem with the tabs is that they don't hold in place well enough to secure the chest in place.

TKO the OAD

i got camshaft today, i didn't even know he was out i went to target to pick up a new cd and happened to check out the tf ailse and i realize that basic training and ait has taken up so much of my time i don't know what alts are out, coming out and everything else, i also happenend to see the new titanium series optimus prime, and beast wars optimus primal, but i told my wife to get those for me

It's funny, I just got Mirage on Friday (via Ebay, I couldn't find one) and I transformed his chest differently, and I think better, without looking at the instructions. First off, ignore the two "pectoral" or chest flaps. They shouldn't go anywhere. Sad to waste a design feature, but I can't find any use for 'em, and flipping 'em back and forth makes them a little loose so they rattle in car mode. So leave them.

Then, use the stomach or "abs" flaps to brace the chest piece. Don't fold them together like the instructions say, just leave them perpendicular to the underside and then when you bring the chest piece over, you can lock the two flaps to the sides of the chest piece. Works real nice. If you think the chest piece isn't made for that, you can just brace the flaps against it without locking it down, but the stomach flaps have little rails that seem made for the job. You can either leave the chest piece bottom (the car front) unfolded or fold out the front panel for that F1 homage goodness.

And I did cheat just a little and got Mirage a nice rifle weapon - the folding sniper rifle from that old 21st Century "Matilda" figure. Leave off the stock, and Mirage can hold it really well with his finger on the trigger, and it breaks down to store in the passenger compartment pretty nicely. I like the pistols, but this looks much better. There's plenty of room on his leg to store the extra pistol in a sort of "ankle holster" manner as well.

Easily one of the best Alternators. Well worth picking up.

Tim

"toy geek"

Well Optimus Prime is, officially, the ONLY Alternator I'm, currently, not keeping (I haven't picked up Nemesis Prime, so he doesn't count).

The mold is just too...kibbily and prone to fall apart.

I tried switching Prime's head with Swerve's, but the socket in Swerve's head is too big. While I'm sure I could add something to make it smaller, I don't have the customizer skills do it well, besides the fact the mold sucks.