Death Star Gunner

Whitewolf

Today, I got the first of the 4 Death Star Gunners I won off of eBay. I have to say that this figure both impresses the hell out of me and makes me cringe all at the same time. Posability is top-notch with 14 points of articulation. Ball-sockets at the head, shoulders and knees, "angle-cut" joints at the elbows, and standard "swivel" joints at the hips, wrists and waist. I know that some will grumble about the figure not having ball-socket hips, but what do you expect out of a naval artillery trooper? They aren't exactly space-ninjas. :rolleyes:

DeathStarGunner004.jpg

DeathStarGunner005.jpg

DeathStarGunner006.jpg

Being the turbolaser wrangler that he is, he comes with several cool accessories:

*Removable Flashback Helmet

*Armored Chest Plate (full front and back)

*E-11 Blaster Rifle

*Display Stand

DeathStarGunner009.jpg

Now onto what made me cringe about this figure. Yep, you guessed it...yet another Jango face underneath the helmet. But this one looks much more like Robocop with a tan. Maybe its because of the lack of eyebrows and the weird skullcap/chinstrap getup. I guess this is the face we're all going to have to get used to from now on for our Original Trilogy army builders. But I digress. @grumpy@

DeathStarGunner007.jpg

DeathStarGunner008.jpg

Overall, this figure is awesome, in spite of being another Jango Fett in insert outfit name here. Great articulation, very clean paint apps on the helmet, face, and belt. I truly wanted to dislike this figure because of the Clone Trooper treatment it received, but I really do like the way Hasbro did this one. The holster actually holds the E-11 better than the VOTC Stormtrooper/TSC Sandtrooper's belt does. For what the character is supposed to do in the movies, he certainly serves his purpose, as shown here...

DeathStarGunner002.jpg

DeathStarGunner001.jpg

DeathStarGunner003.jpg

Man, that's an impressive figure. I was kind of worried about how the helmet would look at first, but seeing your pics, I can see it looks/fits perfect.

I just need to make a little galactic civil war-styled shotgun for him, like the gunners on Battlefront :D

I loved the 90's version of this figure, but this one blows it away.

I too don't care much for the Jango head on ever guy. Though I'll admit as a kid I loved figures with removable helmets. Doesn't matter if it's all the same guy under the helmet, it just added something cool for some reason.

Congrats on getting him early. Thanks for the review/pics.

Yeah, he does look like a great base for a Death Squad Trooper (just add the Death Star Trooper helmet and remove chest-plate). I wonder if this is what we'll get later as an "official" VOTC-type Trooper(but with a different head, or more would be nice). I don't really understand all of the disappointment from people about the Jango head, most will never really need to be displayed without the helmet. I'm surprised that Hasbro actually took the time to make the chest-plate and helmet removable in the first place(unless it was their plan to re-issue this later as a different figure).

nice looking figure, I may have to pick up a few! What base is that though?.. SInce hasbro is more into veichals now I wonder what the odds are of getting a actaully decent looking /in scale death star? .. playset

What base is that though?.. SInce hasbro is more into veichals now I wonder what the odds are of getting a actaully decent looking /in scale death star? .. playset

Synch, either you or I are showing our age there, buddy. @razz@

That is a fully restored vintage 1978 Death Star Space Station playset, complete with the elusive "rope swing" that so many of these are missing nowadays. Four levels of fun...and not one bit of electronic lights or sounds to muck it up. It even still has the bright green dianoga and most of the original foam "trash" in the compactor.

And as far as "in-scale" playsets, the Death Star would be every bit as big as the continent of North America! ;)

I just had a conversation with a buddy of mine the other day about the Death Star playset. When I saw your pictures I had to laugh b/c where your fig was chillin' in that gun seat looked very familiar. I loved that playset. Never had one but I did have two snowspeeders (what I would do for those now.)

...I had to laugh b/c where your fig was chillin' in that gun seat looked very familiar. I loved that playset.

When I look at the gunner's seat at certain angles on the turbolaser, it looks like a La-Z-Boy recliner with the footrest propped up strapped to its side. Man, the Empire sure knew how to treat its troops, didn't it? @loll@ All he needs is a cup holder and a remote and he's set!

Yeah, he does look like a great base for a Death Squad Trooper (just add the Death Star Trooper helmet and remove chest-plate). I wonder if this is what we'll get later as an "official" VOTC-type Trooper(but with a different head, or more would be nice). I don't really understand all of the disappointment from people about the Jango head, most will never really need to be displayed without the helmet. I'm surprised that Hasbro actually took the time to make the chest-plate and helmet removable in the first place(unless it was their plan to re-issue this later as a different figure).

Not sure about that one. From what I've been able to tell about Death Squad Troopers, they wear the same two-piece duty uniform that officers wear (tunic and trousers) instead of the one-piece jumpsuits that bridge crews/scanning crews/AT-ST Drivers wear. In fact, I believe its the very same uniforms that the two officers wore that accompanied Vader aboard the Tantive IV to retrieve the Death Star plans...except that the DSTs wear the big Vaderesque helmets instead of the officer's hats.

Your Death Star brings a tear to my eye for a few reasons. We will never see a playset like that again and I never had one, but a friend did and we played with it until it was in pieces. We had to bury what was left of it in his backyard. That was probably my favorite toy ever and I am glad I had the chance to see it in person. Nice job restoring it. I am surprised to hear the foam has not crumbled.

its actaully a kinda funny thought... the death start is both a "playset" & a "veichal" So I wonder just what the odds are of getting something out... I think some kinda put togeather play set would be sweet... Similar to the "BAF" idea :P you buy a play set with a few clones & what not and then sooner or latter you could build a deathstar :D

Hasbro hates playsets now but loves veichals hmmm!! It is basicly just a big ship, after all it warped it self all the way to alderon & what not

This figure refuses to warm any pegs. I got lucky and found him at a TRU. Seems like everyone is snatching this figure up. Since pretty much the rest of the wave :P

That fig is a lot more interesting than I was expecting, esp, w./ the rem. helmet; I don't get the red eyes though. @hmmm@

where can I see more pictures of the playset though? :D had no idea there was one heh

http://www.rebelscum.com/vintDeathStar.asp

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=d...p;item_id=39640

$17.87!?

:huh:

I still have mine, although, there are a lot of missing/broken pieces. I've thought about using it w/ modern figs, except for that 'control room' level (w/ consoles & 'trap door ). I was really hoping the POTF2 'Detention Block' (which I still use to display my figs ;)) would expand into a modular set :-/ I'd still like to see an ultra/deluxe Death Star Cannon & 'Tractor Beam Console'

off topic:

I also thought about customizing a DS set into Cloud City (Plaza/ Carbon Freeze), but, I really don't have the time or resources

actaully just found 4 vintage ones while organizing some of my stuff, didn't even know Ihad em... Guess I must picked em up at a gsale someplace along the way...