Death Squad Troopers

Whitewolf

It was established at this year's SDCC that all of the newest Hasbro OT Stormtroopers, Death Star Gunners, AT-AT Drivers, TIE Pilots, Spaceport Restroom Attendents, Galactic Janitors, and Orbital Fast Food Fry Cooks are all made from the same Jango goo that the original batch of Clone Troopers were made from. This change being taken into consideration, I'm wondering if Temuera Morrison's ugly mug is going to be re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reused yet again for the Death Squad Trooper (aka Death Star Trooper) in the rumored Yavin Wave. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we all already know the answer to this...

Granted, we only see fleeting glimpses of this character in a few scenes in the OT. On the Death Star Command Bridge and in the "superlaser firing sequence" scene in ANH, as guards on the bridge of the Executor in ESB, and a few of them running around in the chaos of the battle in front of the Endor Shield Bunker. But in none of these scenes do we really get a good look at any of their faces underneath their Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet style hats.

Maybe I'm just not clear on what specific role Death Squad Troopers play within the Empire. I've always had difficulty understanding why the Empire needed Stormtroopers AND Death Squad Troopers in the first place. Obviously the Clone Wars proved that the "boys in white" were quite sufficient in quelling any uprising that they faced. But yet you have these other guys in black coveralls and oversized helmets acting in little more than Military Police roles aboard Imperial ships and installations. Are these guys supposed to be clones or are they "normal" humans who joined up with or were drafted by the Empire?

I certainly hope that Hasbro doesn't give the Death Squad Trooper the Jango overhaul. I'm getting so sick of the Jango/Clone Trooper head on every conceivable Republic/Empire character under the sun nowadays...

Guest McBragg

I've always had difficulty understanding why the Empire needed Stormtroopers AND Death Squad Troopers in the first place. Obviously the Clone Wars proved that the "boys in white" were quite sufficient in quelling any uprising that they faced. But yet you have these other guys in black coveralls and oversized helmets acting in little more than Military Police roles aboard Imperial ships and installations. Are these guys supposed to be clones or are they "normal" humans who joined up with or were drafted by the Empire?

I go with that. Some sources, not sure how canon, say the Stormtroopers are distinct branch from the Imperial army and navy, but used in support of both. We never quite see the imperial army, other than maybe AT-ST drivers and Veers. The navy is the "Death Star Troopers" (because "imperial navy trooper" doesn't sound silly enough), those normal humans who might work their way up the ranks to become officers who get choked by Vader. Stormtroopers are shock troop fodder, blindly loyal to the Emperor, (making any military coups harder) are totally merciless and unsympathetic to the Rebellion. They don't become officers in the army and navy, just over other Stormtroopers (like the Snowtrooper officer in the At-At).

making the Death Star Troopers into Jango clones would be ridiculous. In fact Lucas was saying that 20 years after the clone wars, stormtroopers were a mix of clones and normal human recruits. Did Hasbro get the memo? or do they just want to make stormtroopers with removable helmets, regardless of whether they actually ever removed their helmets in the films?

I still would of loved Hasbro to rerelease it

I allwys thought the Death Squad Trooper were th direct commanders of the Stormtroopers and if you were promoted from Stormtrooper the next rank up would be that of Death Squad Trooper

It would be stupid if they did, as McBragg already covered the reasons.

Draven

Still I would of liked it

I haven't gotten one in 20 years and it was Revenge of the Sith that got me back into collecting Star Wars figures

i know allot of people dont like the fact that there is a clone head on the storm trooper but i think its kinda cool because with a little paint and a head changing here and there you can have a army of diff. troops some clones and some not

It would be stupid if they did, as McBragg already covered the reasons.

Draven

Still I would of liked it

I haven't gotten one in 20 years and it was Revenge of the Sith that got me back into collecting Star Wars figures

I think you misunderstood me. I would love a figure to come out, just not with a Jango head. This is what i was refering to.

"making the Death Star Troopers into Jango clones would be ridiculous. In fact Lucas was saying that 20 years after the clone wars, stormtroopers were a mix of clones and normal human recruits. Did Hasbro get the memo? or do they just want to make stormtroopers with removable helmets, regardless of whether they actually ever removed their helmets in the films?"

Draven

Since when was it announced that all the Imperial forces were clones? From what I recall, it was announced just the opposite - that the Empire mostly recruited but used SOME clones too (though all the Jango ones had expired and thusly new clone templates were hired). I mean you can SEE the faces of Death Star Troopers, they just have oversized helmets on, but their faces are not covered up. They most certainly aren’t Jango. Then there is the fact that in the first batch of DVD’s, they added new things INCULDING Boba’s voice being changed to Jangos - but left all the Stormtroopers voices the same. In the over all trilogy, Stormtroopers don’t talk all THAT much so it’s not like it was that much of an undertaking.

….I can just see it now, the 3-D versions will have storm troopers with Jango’s voice. *sigh*

Someone really needs to stop Lucas, just shoot him for all I care. Stop toying with you’re movies.

Guest McBragg

….I can just see it now, the 3-D versions will have storm troopers with Jango’s voice. *sigh*

Someone really needs to stop Lucas, just shoot him for all I care. Stop toying with you’re movies.

Uh, you didn't hear. The 3D versions originally planned to begin next year with A New HOpe have been postponed...technical issues were too much, both with the process and getting theaters equipped to show it.

Since when was it announced that all the Imperial forces were clones? From what I recall, it was announced just the opposite - that the Empire mostly recruited but used SOME clones too (though all the Jango ones had expired and thusly new clone templates were hired). I mean you can SEE the faces of Death Star Troopers, they just have oversized helmets on, but their faces are not covered up. They most certainly aren’t Jango. Then there is the fact that in the first batch of DVD’s, they added new things INCULDING Boba’s voice being changed to Jangos - but left all the Stormtroopers voices the same. In the over all trilogy, Stormtroopers don’t talk all THAT much so it’s not like it was that much of an undertaking.

since when?

ever since the STAR WARS INSIDER stated that stormtroopers were both clones and recruits.

I see the Death Star Trooper as an Imperial Officer in training.

And at somepoint the Empire thought it might not be so wise to let the clones govern themselves, which I'm guessing is why we don't see any Clone Commanders in the OT.

I see the Death Star Trooper as an Imperial Officer in training.

And at somepoint the Empire thought it might not be so wise to let the clones govern themselves, which I'm guessing is why we don't see any Clone Commanders in the OT.

let's be realistic:

Lucas did not have the capibilities to use the same person in mutiple shots until many years later.

why do we ask such silly questions whereas we know the truth is quite evident because there was simply a lack of technoligy (in this case, there had not been any technoligy that was able to do as he now tries to explain.)

all we can do now is just "theorize" what could have been.

im sure if this question burns deep inside of Lucas long enough, he will change all the imperials into clones (Jangos) by the time the ORIGINAL TRILOGY hits theaters again in 3-D.

watch.......I stated it here first.

as for not seeing any CLONE COMMANDERS in th ORIGINAL TRILOGY.....why should there be? The Clone wars were over thus there were no more Clone armies.

I think my original question wasn't quite asked the right way. I'm basically wondering if the new Death Squad Trooper is going to use the Jango head like all the other "army builder" figures that are now scheduled for release. SDCC displayed all of the Imperial figures as being nothing but Clone Troopers with OT Stormtrooper gear. The Death Star Gunner figure sporting Jango's head with Robocop's chinstrap just looked ridiculous to me. Stormtroopers I can understand being clone remnents, but practically every other branch of the Empire? Damn, the Kaminoans must be getting as sick of seeing his face as some of us collectors are!

What I'm seeing happening here is that instead of Lucas/Hasbro trying to meld the Prequels into the established universe of the Original Trilogy (which has been around for almost 30 years, mind you), the opposite is taking place. SDCC showed us that the powers-that-be at both Skywalker Ranch and Hasbro are asking themselves "Hmm, how many ways can we give the Original Trilogy more of a Clone Wars feel?" And that mentality just ruins it for me in many ways. Hell, Crix Madine from ROTJ was an ex-Stormtrooper Commander before he defected to the Rebellion and he looks nowhere near the Jango genetic template. The Clone Wars are over. Get over it. Move along...move along.

But I know that there are a ton of younger fans (and a few older ones as well) who would actually prefer the storyline to take this particular direction. More than a few times, I've seen "MORE CLONES! MORE CLONES! OH GOD YES, MORE CLONES!" posted on here. And it's obvious that Hasbro (and to some extent Lucas himself) is hearing this. Thus, the question I posted about the Death Squad Trooper figure.

On a lighter note, at least the Kaminoans fixed the bow-legged problem that the Clone Troopers seemed to suffer from. None of my VOTC Stormtroopers stand like they have a load in their shorts like all the ROTS clones do. @loll@

han was in the imperial acadomy and so was biggs i think the eu talks about conscripts people being forced into servie to the empire and allso people just joining up but in the thrawn trilogy it talks of the cloning facility in mt taris so the empire had more then the kaminos cloning but thrawn was also using new templets i feel like their were some jango clones left but not a bunch and the empire made new templets for clones so i think the empires army was 60% clones 40% recruits the 40%includes all commanders and admirals becase the empire thought clones wereto unstabble

han was in the imperial acadomy and so was biggs i think the eu talks about conscripts people being forced into servie to the empire and allso people just joining up but in the thrawn trilogy it talks of the cloning facility in mt taris so the empire had more then the kaminos cloning but thrawn was also using new templets i feel like their were some jango clones left but not a bunch and the empire made new templets for clones so i think the empires army was 60% clones 40% recruits the 40%includes all commanders and admirals becase the empire thought clones wereto unstabble

please dont involve the EU stuff!

Death Squad Troopers I believe are junior officers who partake in security of various imperial installations.

Guest McBragg

The "scanning crewman" were low ranking non-clones, too. Same uniform for Star Destroyer "pit" crews. These might be the jr. officers, and Death Star Troopers are the enlisted men?

Imperial Gunners, as a direct part of the Imperial Navy, seem to me should NOT be clones.

Btw, low level "clone" commanders were seen in the Original Trilogy. The sandtrooper officer and the Snow Trooper officer with the rank bage.

Some debate that the Jango clone wars clones would be too old to be serving still due to age accelleration. But it's never stated that the growth/age thing continues after Clones reach optimum age. Heck, they might not keep aging at all!

And they may have saved Jango's DNA for future batches, because otherwise they'd be copying copies which would degrade clone quality...at least according to Star Trek!

since when?

ever since the STAR WARS INSIDER stated that stormtroopers were both clones and recruits.

Thats just it, since when were ALLthe imperial forces said to be clones? Apparently you didn't read my post all that clearly.