tonystark

Pros:

Highly detailed

Highly articulated

Classic designs

Lots of interest from other adult fans

Cons:

Out of scale with nearly all existing GI Joe products

Lack of interest from core collectors (the SDCC group was likely mostly ML fans first and foremost, Joe fans second or lower)

Possible siphoning of funds away from 3.75 and/or Sigma Six

Possible brand confusion

And then you have the wildcard decision: Will this be its own line, or part of the existing ML lineup?

If classified as its own line (and hence, using GI JOe brand buget), is there REALLY enough interest to maintain it? Especially after the weak performance of DTC? I've long said that a 6" line in and of itself does NOT mean a big seller, and if you can't get kids or older collectors into it, how do you justify it.

If put into Marvel Legends proper, how will fans take to it? I'm sure many thought it would be a seperate line, but I suspect any Joe Legends will first be released in ML to gauge interest.

The big appeal of Marvel Legends is the colorful superheroes, GI Joe, despite the potential articulation and uniqueness of designs, is really nothing more than glorified army men. Which is frankly something which hasn't proved popular at retail in some time, even the Corps are adding more color and more "superhero team" aspects to their line.

And for those who argue about the increased interest from adult collectors, how is that any different than Hasbro making Sigma Six to attract kids?

The big one I can see is kids (and their parents) are a FAR bigger income source

I think it would probably be it's own line and that being said, I think it would sell like crazy. Hasbro clearly stated that they see the Marvel Legends (and by association any line derived from it) as a collectors brand line and they are no longer concentrating on it as "kid" oriented. They are creating "Marvel Heroes" for the kids and Marvel Legends will now be thought of purely in collectible terms therefore they would use the same association with G.I. Joe Legends being for Collectors and Sigma Size/RAH being more for kids. that being said, I think there's PLENTY of interest out there based on how every Joe board I've been on has had a large number of people pining for ML style Legends of RAH characters and the customs are recieved like manah from heaven. They would probably test the water with a box set or "face off" set (Storm Shadow/Snake eyes , Duke/Cobra Commander) and then, if they sold they would expand the line... How great would it be to get them but on blister cards that look like the RAH figures of old.

Look at these Customs done by Double Dealer and tell me YOU wouldn't buy these...

sshadow7_jpg.jpg

snakeyes7_jpg.jpg

duke2_jpg.jpg

ladyj2_jpg.jpg

roadblock1_jpg.jpg

I love Double Dealers Joes cant wait to see if he makes a cobra commander oh and tinyman customs made a great Cobra comander and if hasbro makes Gi Joe Legends the need to make Cobra comander and snake eyes and serpantor that would be great oh and doctor mindbender would be even better.

Pros:

Highly detailed

Highly articulated

Classic designs

Lots of interest from other adult fans

Cons:

Out of scale with nearly all existing GI Joe products

Lack of interest from core collectors (the SDCC group was likely mostly ML fans first and foremost, Joe fans second or lower)

Possible siphoning of funds away from 3.75 and/or Sigma Six

Possible brand confusion

And then you have the wildcard decision: Will this be its own line, or part of the existing ML lineup?

If classified as its own line (and hence, using GI JOe brand buget), is there REALLY enough interest to maintain it? Especially after the weak performance of DTC? I've long said that a 6" line in and of itself does NOT mean a big seller, and if you can't get kids or older collectors into it, how do you justify it.

If put into Marvel Legends proper, how will fans take to it? I'm sure many thought it would be a seperate line, but I suspect any Joe Legends will first be released in ML to gauge interest.

The big appeal of Marvel Legends is the colorful superheroes, GI Joe, despite the potential articulation and uniqueness of designs, is really nothing more than glorified army men. Which is frankly something which hasn't proved popular at retail in some time, even the Corps are adding more color and more "superhero team" aspects to their line.

And for those who argue about the increased interest from adult collectors, how is that any different than Hasbro making Sigma Six to attract kids?

The big one I can see is kids (and their parents) are a FAR bigger income source

its all pro baby!

those cons are bogus.

- out of scale- so was Sigma Six when they started it, its doing okay I guess... and Sigma Six sticks out 10 tims more than ML Joes would... at least ML Joes would resembler GI Joe characters.

- lack of interest- Uh.. no. GiJoe Legends would be wanted by most Marvel Legends fans, by most GiJoe fans, and by kids who would just recognize how awesome they are.. you don't have to be a predetermined fan of something to see it on the shelf and decided to buy it...

-siphoning funds- from what? the about to be canceled 3 3/4 line, or the Sigma Six that only kids are buying? Hasbro isn't putting anything into DTC anymore, they have what, 2 series and 2 six packs planned for the year? and Sigma six already has plenty of push behind it.

brand confusion- I am not even sure what this means or how it could be an issue...

as for your other issues... GiJoe is currently unsuccessful because of poor designs and bad quality. Say what you want about new sculpts, they will never be as popular as the RAH design. Every RAH item seems to sell like hotcakes, while New sculpts are so poor that they had to be take to online only. The failure of the 3 3/4 line does not apply to the possible success or Joe Legends.. its not the characters that failed, its the poor toys Hasbro is making.

and have you seen the crossovers that Hasbro has been doing? Starwars Transformers... do they take anything away from the Starwars line or the Transformer line? Hasbro has room for Joe Legends.

and Marvel Legends are not only successful because of the colorful superhero aspect.. other Superhero toys have failed miserably. it is all in the design... t,hat is what makes Marvel Legends. and GiJoe, or more specifically, RAH, is certainly not "just armymen"... GiJoes have as much character and eye appeal as any superheroes. GiJoes are unique in appearance and appeal.

mark my words... GiJoe Legends would be the most successful GiJoe item since the original RAH series.

I think it would probably be it's own line and that being said, I think it would sell like crazy. Hasbro clearly stated that they see the Marvel Legends (and by association any line derived from it) as a collectors brand line and they are no longer concentrating on it as "kid" oriented. They are creating "Marvel Heroes" for the kids and Marvel Legends will now be thought of purely in collectible terms therefore they would use the same association with G.I. Joe Legends being for Collectors and Sigma Size/RAH being more for kids. that being said, I think there's PLENTY of interest out there based on how every Joe board I've been on has had a large number of people pining for ML style Legends of RAH characters and the customs are recieved like manah from heaven. They would probably test the water with a box set or "face off" set (Storm Shadow/Snake eyes , Duke/Cobra Commander) and then, if they sold they would expand the line... How great would it be to get them but on blister cards that look like the RAH figures of old.

Look at these Customs done by Double Dealer and tell me YOU wouldn't buy these...

sshadow7_jpg.jpg

snakeyes7_jpg.jpg

duke2_jpg.jpg

ladyj2_jpg.jpg

roadblock1_jpg.jpg

I wouldn't buy those!

What...you told me to tell you that, but I don't know why cause i would buy those up in an instant, but you know they aren't gonna be that good. I really hope that once the ML's do well that Hasbro will see and start to incorporate a G. I. Joe line

I would definitly get those.... Especialy snake eyes.

I used to be a joe fan when I was really little.... Then they shrunk him down and gave him fuzy hair, I was ok with the kung-fu grip but the hair was bad. I might start getting them if they were in legends form though.

- lack of interest- Uh.. no. GiJoe Legends would be wanted by most Marvel Legends fans, by most GiJoe fans, and by kids who would just recognize how awesome they are.. you don't have to be a predetermined fan of something to see it on the shelf and decided to buy it...

"most GI Joe fans"?

Well "most" want RAH only figures, which means in 3.75 scale

"Most" want products compatible with their existing collections

Kids just won't recognize cool, it takes marketing, something that frankly doesn't exist in Marvel Legends.

You give the scale and market too much credit. While Marvel Legends fans might buy them, Joe fans have been the least receptive to change. They bitched about 8", they bitched about 2.5", and I have no doubt a majority will #$## about another scale change.

as for your other issues... GiJoe is currently unsuccessful because of poor designs and bad quality. Say what you want about new sculpts, they will never be as popular as the RAH design. Every RAH item seems to sell like hotcakes, while New sculpts are so poor that they had to be take to online only. The failure of the 3 3/4 line does not apply to the possible success or Joe Legends.. its not the characters that failed, its the poor toys Hasbro is making.

NO CURRENT ITERATOIN OF A TOYLINE will be as popular 15-20 years from than the original 80s line was. That is a fact. The market just isn't there.

And aside from the Infantry sets, NO GI Joe RAH release has done all that spectacularly better than a new sculpt offering. And many reports were that RAH 6 packs were among the slowest movers among TRU Joe offerings, the first wave of comic packs eventually ended up at Dollar General stores and cleared out at half price. And I don't know about you, but RAH products were relagated to a SINGLE STORE EXCLUSIVE while new sculpts were available everywhere. That doesn't signify RAH was any better than new sculpts.

(and that doesn't even start to go into your anti-new sculpt bias and how it screws most of your posts)

Right now, Hasbro has plans for 4 figures for Sigma Six which will not appear in the cartoon, figures done because of the popularity of the line. 2.5 has been well recieved and is poised to really push the brand as a whole. Sigma Six is probably the best recieved GI Joe line (in regards to retailers, who actually matter) since the line returned to full retail

and have you seen the crossovers that Hasbro has been doing? Starwars Transformers... do they take anything away from the Starwars line or the Transformer line? Hasbro has room for Joe Legends.

mark my words... GiJoe Legends would be the most successful GiJoe item since the original RAH series.

Star Wars Transformers are funded by the STar Wars team (none on the Transformers team works on the line to my knowledge) and is ONLY possible because the collector and retail power Star Wars commands. GI Joe collectors are NOT a big majority, and we're likely smaller than the Transformers fandom in numbers.

If you haven't noticed, the toy aisle is dying. Walmart may, at best, devote 12 feet of aisle space for all its action figures, and that is not a lot of room.

While I wouldn't be against a Joe in Marvel Legends, GI Joe, as a brand, cannot support another collector oriented line, and with Sigma Six being popular, I have doubts as to whether retail would take for a product that is so similar, yet aesthetically different.

If done by the Joe team (ie, its own line), then it would take money away from other projects, either 3.75 (with a far more established collector base) or Sigma Six (which is popular enough and carried by enough that they have an almost guarantee return of their investment)

And nothing will be as popular as RAH, because that market doesn't exist anymore.

please don't quote pics in you're quotes guys, specialy when they were just posted!! :D

Glaken if we got stuff that detailed and good looking with out a dout... the only cons would be if it were not...

& OS... I dout kids would care, all that would matter to them is that they look "cool" looking :P

Stevey,

One thing your failing to factor in is that most Marvel Legends collectors WOULD buy them because of them matching ML in style and quality and a large majority of the ML collectors are folks who grew up buying RAH 3.75" figures and would buy these out of sheer nostalgia alone. That being said, that's enough to support the line, but they wouldn't be the only ones collecting them because there would of course be Joe collectors snapping them up too. I collect both and have a sentimental attachment to them from my youth and have bought almost ALL the Joe stuff that came out that was based on the original RAH stuff and some of the new sculpts. I've been VERY tempted to buy the recently retro carded RAH stuff as well but haven't broken down and done it yet. Joes were my absolute favorite line growing up and I've loved all iterations of RAH and the product following in the same character continuities since but I HATE Sigma Six the same way I HATED Extreme. I think most of the folks like me that grew up on Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett & the rest of the gang would buy everyone of a Joe Line that was based on those original designs. Like I said, you would draw a customer base from both the RAH collectors & the ML collectors and would sell to more than just one or the other. Heck, i know a bunch of guys that don't buy toys anymore that saw those customs that said they'd HAVE to buy those if they saw them on the pegs. As for vehicles and stuff, again, these would be marketed towards Adult collectors, not really kids, so they probably would work on those too much, but if they can do vehicles for an 8" line they can do them for a 6" line.

Either way, it's all speculation right now and until the release it, it's just fanboy dreaming. I think there's plenty of room for them both. Wal-mart shrinks their toys down every summer to make room for summer/pool stuff but come september you'll see it blow up again. Even now, every WM I go in, and I live in a very small town, has at least one full side of one aisle dedicated to Action Figures and that's a full 24ft run. That's the same it's always been. Most of the super Centers I've been in have at least that much but more like 32-36 ft worth. Action figures are really strong right now and I think this would really only make them stronger.

for joe stuff they could do a BAV veichal :P Granted it would take a few waves but as long as the line is successfull it would b e all the sweeter being about to BAV in the end wouldn't it ? :P

While those customs do look great, I still have absolutely no interest in ML Joes. If they made them as a separate line I would have no problem just ignoring them, but if they incorporated them into ML, I'd be pissed.

What I can't understand is if you'd post in this thread if you have absolutely no interest in ML Joes......?

And then.. being that you'd have no problems ignoring them and have no interest in them, why would you be pissed if they incorporated them into ML???

The only way Id get them is if they based them on the RAH outfits!! Nothing added or taken away!! I want to Zartan as he appeared in the cartoon or comic! I want to see Storm Shadow the same way, no goofy red arm guards, just the white bandages!! Faithful replicas of the best version of those figures!! In other words Lady Jaye without a hat, since she never appeared with a hat in the cartoon and only a few times in the comic!! So no hat, but definately with the javelins!!:D

Those customs are all amazing, including yours geetar! Everytime I see GIJoe customs in ML style, the more I'd love to see Hasbro make a toyline like this based on classic RAH characters.

The pros are that this style is clearly the best for GIJoe since the '80s RAH days. If the 3 3/4 line is soon to be cancelled, then it is time to make the jump to create a series of Joe figures that I think would be very popular and sought after. I think a line like this will reinvigorate those Joe fans from the '80s.

I guess the main Con, not a very large one, is that it really needs it's own line. It shouldn't be mixed in with ML, and quite a few ML collectors have already mentioned that in this forum. Instead of calling it GIJoe Legends, Hasbro is better off just re-establishing these figures under their own name, whatever that could be (GIJoe Classics, yeah, big change, whatever). Another con would be that vehicles would be a little costly due to this oil business we always hear about, so forget about having them.

The only way Id get them is if they based them on the RAH outfits!! Nothing added or taken away!! I want to Zartan as he appeared in the cartoon or comic! I want to see Storm Shadow the same way, no goofy red arm guards, just the white bandages!! Faithful replicas of the best version of those figures!! In other words Lady Jaye without a hat, since she never appeared with a hat in the cartoon and only a few times in the comic!! So no hat, but definately with the javelins!!:D

Exactly.

Cons: Not everyone wants this line.

Pros: Most people would, and even those who do not want it would most likely get sucked into it either way @smilepunch@

Cons: Not everyone wants this line.

Pros: Most people would, and even those who do not want it would most likely get sucked into it either way @smilepunch@

exactly.. you gonna tell me that you won't buy a Snake Eyes that fits right in with your Deadpool?

not everybody would buy them all, not every ML collector buys them all... but many people would.

hell, I would buy enough to make up for 4 or 5 collectors. #US1#