Hasbro Reps!

Lady Jaye

Okay, I hope this decision has not been set in stone! One of the factors that drew me to the Legends line when it premiered were the comics that were included with the figures! It's a great way to introduce a character to someone who might not otherwise know who it is.

While the line may be geared towards collectors, you'll still attract the younger generation who are growing out of the Classics line with the comics!! And by picking up Marvel Legends and seeing these storylines, it will attract them to comics as well.

It's also a great way to get people into comic stores by offering the first part of a major storyline! For example, I never read the Age of Apocalypse storyline, but because of the two comics included with Wolverine and Sabretooth I now want to go back and either find the back issues to complete the story, or find a Trade Paper Back, either way it gets me back into a comic shop!

There's also a great opportunity to cross advertise your other products! Consider it a catalog with a story! You can not only advertise other Marvel Products, but other Hasbro brands itself, Star Wars, Transformers, etc!! Think of it, free advertising!

The comics don't have to be on expensive paper, it can be the same type of pulp material made before the jump to slick paper! The same kind of material that comics were made up to the 90's!! A low cost paper.

I'm sure there are more arguments in favor of keeping the comics with the line, and I hope that my fellow members here at this forum will bring up more of them!! And with the arguments in favor, that you will reconsider taking out the comics from the line!

I agree with Lady Jaye and other members that want to keep the comic insert. The comic doesn't have to be comicbook size. If money is a concern, one can always shrink the size of the book. The recent beast wars ani toys have smaller size comics, which would still be great to have since nothing is changed. However, I am not sure if license fees prevent the comics from being packaged. If not, please give us the comic since there are lots of characters that even the avid read may not know.

You have to consider the costs involved though. This could actually be something they would have to pay Marvel for each comic used. It was different when TB was doing it all themselves. Hasbro may also not have facilities for the printing to be done in HK.

There's several factors that may have caused this move.

Well then perhaps Marvel should reconsider charging Hasbro, if they charge them at all, for promoting their own brand, and bringing in new people into the comic shops!!

I mean it's really a win win situation with the comics!! The sort of cross promotional item that businesses and advertizers dream of!!

But before we start speculating the reasons why they are doing away with comics, since to be honest, none of us work for them! Why don't we focus on the positives of keeping the comics with the brand!

Oh and Saki, I know the thread exists, but this is one of the only negatives in that whole Q&A, and really deserved it's own thought out thread! I, and hopefully others, don't want it mixed up with the praises of the rest of the announcements!!

Ok, I see what thread you linked to, the poll thread!! Well that one has gone by the wayside with a bunch of people just complaining!! I want this thread to serve a more productive model! I don't want to hear people complaining and moaning, I want people to say in what ways the comics contribute to the line!!

You have to consider the costs involved though. This could actually be something they would have to pay Marvel for each comic used. It was different when TB was doing it all themselves. Hasbro may also not have facilities for the printing to be done in HK.

They have comics for joe and tf from the marvel, dd, and idw run included for their products. I don't think facilities for printing is the case.

They have comics for joe and tf from the marvel, dd, and idw run included for their products. I don't think facilities for printing is the case.

Are they printed by Hasbro though?

can't find another company's logo on it other than Hasbro, so I would say yeah.

can't find another company's logo on it other than Hasbro, so I would say yeah.

Ah, I don't own any of their other comic-included product. Hmm, that may be more because they are the original owners of the property so they can use those. Getting the right to reprint comics including Marvel's properties may be a different matter. I believe reprinting rights were part of the reason behind the foil posters in foreign releases of TB's ML.

Plus I think that Joe and TF comics are owned by Hasbro. I don't know for sure, but I think I heard that. That the comics even though they were made by Marvel, became the property of Hasbro after the fact. Which makes reprinting those cheaper for Hasbro.

But I do think Marvel should wave the fee for using the comics, or tact on a small precent onto the royalites (way below going rate) in order to keep the comics in the public eye. It can only help their sales in the long run and as long as Hasbro handles the reprint themselves it won't cost them anything.

If they are reading the fan sitse like they say they are they will know that most of us want them... It may be too late for the first and second waves mind you how ever we may see them again latter hopefully :D

Who knows WTF is going to happen though really! Keep inmind though if we don't get em for waves 1 and 2 it may just be because its too late to change for them

I dont want to see them go either but right now Hasbro is trying to find ways to save money and cutting costs. That's why Toybiz and Hasbro weren't doing the HUGE B.A.F no more. I think that's one of the reasons Onslaught wasn't as huge as Apocalypse and Sentinal.

They save a lot of money by not including the comic. And it wont have an effect on the sales at all. It's just a business stand point.

I dont want to see them go either but right now Hasbro is trying to find ways to save money and cutting costs. That's why Toybiz and Hasbro weren't doing the HUGE B.A.F no more. I think that's one of the reasons Onslaught wasn't as huge as Apocalypse and Sentinal.

They save a lot of money by not including the comic. And it wont have an effect on the sales at all. It's just a business stand point.

As long as they don't do anything to the figures (and the BAFs) I'm cool with just about any other means they can find to save a buck or two.

Let's face it, Hasbro rips people off. They are about as greedy as George Lucas, which oddly enough - they make the SW line too (as I'm sure you all well know). From the second I heard Hasbro was going to take over, I assumed prices would increase, or something would be dropped or a bit of both. We get B-A-F's half the size, no comics, horrible character selections for the most part and endless modern/alternate costume crap. It comes as no surprise that they made some of the more in demand characters B-A-F’s when they just as well could have been regular released ones. They want us to have to buy crappy characters/figures, because we just HAVE to get Blob and so forth. It’s purely a marketing ploy, Hasbro brings new meaning to corporate greed.

So, yes indeed, bring back comic books - cheap ass Hasbro. We used to be able to get a 6 inch figure with a base and comic for almost the same price as a freaking 3 3/4 inch SW figure with half the articulation and little if any pack in.

And our perspective is from the consumers standing point. If Toybiz can give us bases for many years, comic books for every year and a well done, super articulated figure all for the same price as Hasbro's......then Hasbro should be doing the same. The other major issue is that, it’s not like Hasbro NEEDS to save any money ANYWAY, they are five times larger then Toybiz ever was and they make SW toys - one of the best selling toy lines in the history of franchising. The point is, they CAN give us comics - they just don’t want to.

Perhaps, just perhaps, Toybiz (being a Marvel-owned company) had a sweetheart deal with Marvel and the comics had no licensing fees. Now that Hasbro takes over, Marvel wants a licensing fee to reprint the comics.

I'm sure all of you demanding the return of the comic would have no problem forking over the extra cost to 'put these back in', right?

I wouldn't mind paying a extra buck or two to keep them. If they jumped to 9-10 bucks it wouldn't effect my buying habits that much.

ones. They want us to have to buy crappy characters/figures, because we just HAVE to get Blob and so forth. It’s purely a marketing ploy, Hasbro brings new meaning to corporate greed.

You do know that both of those BAF where desgined by Toy Biz before the move to Hasbro right? So really...it would be Toy Biz being greedy if you want to throw stones.

Its not the same without them! But I don't know if its that easy now to just 'put' them in. Doesn't seem that way!

I dont want to see them go either but right now Hasbro is trying to find ways to save money

& make money @grumpy@

Do you guys really think that oil prices are only affecting us when we put gas in our cars? Higher oil prices affect the cost of plastics and all of Hasbro's shipping costs. They have a very legitimate reason for cutting costs, dropping the comics is not just about making more money.

I'd much rather lose the comics than pay for them.

Do you guys really think that oil prices are only affecting us when we put gas in our cars? Higher oil prices affect the cost of plastics and all of Hasbro's shipping costs. They have a very legitimate reason for cutting costs, dropping the comics is not just about making more money.

I'd much rather lose the comics that pay for them.

I agree as well. I think they are not all that important, but a nice feature of the figures, and that is what we are collecting the figures not the comic