SDCC - Sota - Street Fighter

Snowman81

Oh snap, Zangief looks HUGE.....very nice. Deejay also looks great.....almost feel bad for getting out of the line....if I dont sell my humble little collection I might get Zangief.

http://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&albu...FStreet_Fighter

Zangief looks a little too 'Alpha' for me! Hopefully it'll come with a SFII head!

As for Deejay, he seems too big!

Yeah, I want to know the results on the votes on round 6, they said they were going to let us know in SDCC if I'm not mistaken. DeeJay and Zangief look amazing, specially Zangief!.

JOhnny Bizarro

A 2 up is an unfinished product

usually 18' or so

Anyways, the both of them look fantastic! Can't wait to see the rest of the wave, and hear what wave 6 is!

Yeah, I want to know the results on the votes on round 6, they said they were going to let us know in SDCC if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently the round 6 votes were not even counted...........SOTA is scrapping waves and only releasing characters through their website now.

It would have still been nice to know the results, instead of knowing that anyone who voted wasted their time @grumpy@

Yeah, thanks sota for throwing our votes in the toilet @grumpy@

Yeah, I want to know the results on the votes on round 6, they said they were going to let us know in SDCC if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently the round 6 votes were not even counted...........SOTA is scrapping waves and only releasing characters through their website now.

It would have still been nice to know the results, instead of knowing that anyone who voted wasted their time @grumpy@

Really, where did you here this at(I havnt read anything about that). Well isnt that a drag, so we'll only be able to get figs on their site? If I dont at least get a Dahlsm and Honda im gonna be pretty PO'D.

Did you really "waste" that much time sending one email with your vote? Come on now.

And they are still supposed to be available to outside US customers through the distributors that carried them before.

Well....SOTA's showing at SDCC was pretty disappointing.I was hoping to see all of Round 5 (except for Guy,who was mentioned to not be completely ready) as well as Demitri from Darkstalkers who is still not even done?Zangief,Deejay and the Darkstalkers were awesome....but that was about it!

It also sounds like all their struggles with trying to sell Street Fighter through retail stores and missing deadlines and such are catching up with them now as SOTA is forced to go "online only" with these figures and on top of that release only ONE at a time.

I hate to say it cause I love their products and Jerry seems to be a real cool guy who is very fan-oriented,but I will be surprised if SOTA is still around by the end of 2007.There are a lot of signs pointing to the fact that they are really struggling.

I hate to say it cause I love their products and Jerry seems to be a real cool guy who is very fan-oriented,but I will be surprised if SOTA is still around by the end of 2007.There are a lot of signs pointing to the fact that they are really struggling.

Well, the difference they have compared to other toy companies is that they aren't "just" a toy company. The bulk of their money comes from their movie fx work, I believe. The toys are just a side thing, almost a hobby in many ways. They're doing the figures they want to make, otherwise, they could have gone into Walmarts and TRUs and settled for crappier production.

This online model will allow them to continue to make them the way they want to. They aren't losing money on anything yet. They've said they would be content to just break even on most of these lines, just to make them. Plus one SF a month is better than the Round setup was working out.

Well, the difference they have compared to other toy companies is that they aren't "just" a toy company. The bulk of their money comes from their movie fx work, I believe. The toys are just a side thing, almost a hobby in many ways. They're doing the figures they want to make, otherwise, they could have gone into Walmarts and TRUs and settled for crappier production.

This online model will allow them to continue to make them the way they want to. They aren't losing money on anything yet. They've said they would be content to just break even on most of these lines, just to make them. Plus one SF a month is better than the Round setup was working out.

I was unaware that they did movie special effects,what have they worked on?

I think they certainly have lost a lot of money on the Street Fighter line. The first big shipment of Round 1 SF figures was destroyed and Jerry publicized it was,they lost practically all their retail markets,there's constant variants that don't sell as well,the other big toy country of Japan doesn't like the figures (from what I've heard),the Roto-casts bombed,and now the line is being forced to go online only.On top of that it's going to be ONE figure every few months (I really highly doubt that there will be one new SF figure released every single month).

I'm not really up on all their film work. I know they did alot of effects work on Charmed which led to the figures getting made. I believe the F/X company has been around since like '93.

And all the things you listed as not selling aren't them losing money. Once they get to retailers, SOTA has made their money. They don't get returned to them, just clearanced. That may impact future orders, but doesn't equal a loss on SOTA's part.

I'm pretty sure the Round 1 debacle was insured. So, they've continued to make money on their products.

One figure a month is their goal and until they miss their first deadline, I won't automatically fault them on it. They're dealing with a totally new and much better factory than their previous one.

Zangief and Dee Jay are pretty much done, the rest of Rd 5 is probably close to being completed, so that will cover the first half of 07. They'll have from right now until middle of next year at least for the remainder. That rolling timetable should give them plenty of time to keep up with the figures.

So has it been officially announced by Jerry himself if Round 5 will be released with 5 figures or will Round 5 now be split up with one figure-per-month?

I assume they might start getting this One figure-per-month deal in ealr 2007.I hope that they can handle that,they have more than enough time to do it,but considering that they seem to have enough trouble getting 5 figures done within the span of a year...lets just say that in my personal opinion, I don't have much confidence in them sticking to a one figure-a-month type of deal.I do want them to prove me wrong on that and meet every deadline they can, but their track record isn't just giving me much confidence in them.

And all the things you listed as not selling aren't them losing money. Once they get to retailers, SOTA has made their money. They don't get returned to them, just clearanced. That may impact future orders, but doesn't equal a loss on SOTA's part.

Actually, they do get hurt from their products being clearanced. From what Jerry said a year ago, when action figures go on clearance, the toy companies have to buy them back so that stores like TRU or tower records can sell them for clearance prices.

Hell, he said that his accountant was mad at him when he made Akuma from a new sculpt rather from a Ryu and Ken mold.

Even though, Sota does do FX stuff(they do monster FX, that is why their monstrous characters look better than their normal characters), that still doesn't mean they don't lose money from their figure line. From the sounds of it, it seems to me that you are saying as if Jerry is making toys just for fun more than profit and that he can continue despite what hardships his company may endure from selling toys. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I am reading your comments.

From the comments I read from Jerry either on Viper's site or a-f.com, it seems otherwise. He comments how he now sees the sf line as a business more than a fan venture as he originally did once he started. As such, I don't agree with your comments.

Truth be told, SOTA toys is a toy company like how Stan Winston toys is a toy company. Their FX studio is a different branch to it. Jerry no longer sculpts mainly since he is busy handling the SOTA toys. He did sculpted when his company was just an fx company.It is like Mcfarlane toys is a different branch from image comics. For those who don't remember Stan Winston toys, they were sold at TRU until the company and TRU went sour towards one another.

Jerry said that starting a toy company is hard to do and that a lot of toy companies are goin under. Even Palisades, whom Jeryy has connections to, went down. It is different from his fx company since the people he is trying to attract our us and not some hollywood studio.

Compared to Mcfarlane, I doubt that there as much sf collectors as their are spawn collectors. We are the minority and with all the issues that Sota is enduring, they are indeed suffering.

I was unaware that they did movie special effects,what have they worked on?

They did the "Djin" make-up in for wishmaster movie.

Actually, they do get hurt from their products being clearanced. From what Jerry said a year ago, when action figures go on clearance, the toy companies have to buy them back so that stores like TRU or tower records can sell them for clearance prices.

Hell, he said that his accountant was mad at him when he made Akuma from a new sculpt rather from a Ryu and Ken mold.

Even though, Sota does do FX stuff(they do monster FX, that is why their monstrous characters look better than their normal characters), that still doesn't mean they don't lose money from their figure line. From the sounds of it, it seems to me that you are saying as if Jerry is making toys just for fun more than profit and that he can continue despite what hardships his company may endure from selling toys. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I am reading your comments.

From the comments I read from Jerry either on Viper's site or a-f.com, it seems otherwise. He comments how he now sees the sf line as a business more than a fan venture as he originally did once he started. As such, I don't agree with your comments.

Truth be told, SOTA toys is a toy company like how Stan Winston toys is a toy company. Their FX studio is a different branch to it. Jerry no longer sculpts mainly since he is busy handling the SOTA toys. He did sculpted when his company was just an fx company.It is like Mcfarlane toys is a different branch from image comics. For those who don't remember Stan Winston toys, they were sold at TRU until the company and TRU went sour towards one another.

Jerry said that starting a toy company is hard to do and that a lot of toy companies are goin under. Even Palisades, whom Jeryy has connections to, went down. It is different from his fx company since the people he is trying to attract our us and not some hollywood studio.

Compared to Mcfarlane, I doubt that there as much sf collectors as their are spawn collectors. We are the minority and with all the issues that Sota is enduring, they are indeed suffering.

I wasn't aware that they were getting charged by retailers. From my experience in retail, it varies from retailer to retailer on how they handle their markdown merchandise.

As for the rest, I probably generalized more than I should have instead of keeping it in relation to SF. Street Fighter figures are not a "bread and butter" line for them. According to a recent posting on af.com, Johnny Cash made more money for them than the last 2 SF lines combined. They're continuing with SF and Darkstalkers because of a love of the license more than for making lots of money off of it. Things like Fall Out Boy are being made to make money so they don't have to succeed as much with the other lines.