Masterpiece Prime

obiprime

I like the idea of a re-release, particularily since I never saw him at retail where I lived. By the time I stopped waiting the ones on Ebay were going back up to 70 or 80 bones. Anywhoo, everyone seems to be diastracted by his paint apps, but nobody has wagered a guess as to what the phrases will be. I think a few will be:

"Megatron must be stopped. No matter the cost."

"One shall stand, one shall fall."

"Ready the shuttle for launch."

Aside from those, not sure. Maybe "Ironhide report security staus." I don't know. Anyone else got any guesses?

1. Could it be same box as the first release, with an added base that gives the box less room?

2. To even get MP-4, you have to order it from Japan and even the it will be over $100+. Hasbro is looking to market to the fan who does not want to do that or to the casual fan who sees the anniversary DVD and thinks, 'That's cool!".

you're wasting your time. Three Stroms honestly does not understand that the world does not revolve around him.

Ebay if you want an original.

and how exactly does Hasbro make money by someone selling an old toy second hand? if there is demand for them on ebay, it actually only makes sense for Hasbro to re-release it and make the money selling it to the consumer instead of the consumer having to find one on the secondary market. the implications of your own answer answers your own question of why it is being re-released.

this toy has absolutely nothing to do with people who already have it, it has to do with releasing it for those who don't, or who do not collect import toys. believe it or not, there are toy consumers who do not know the entire global TF collecting wolrd, or even care. again, the world does not revolve around what you already have, know and want.

Let's be honest here. The first one FLOPPED here in the US. Stores marked it down to as low as $25, for which many of us got them at (I got mine for $35 :) ). A novelty base won't stop the second one from flopping too. if you waited until after those sweet clearance mark-downs and now want to pay $70 for one, then to you I say "HAHA go buy Starscream instead and wait for this new one to get marked down!" I'd also feel sorry for you passing on them being as low as $25.

let's be honest, it flopped so much that retailers want it back. Hasbro doesn't just produce these toys randomly. they sell them to retailers, so even if a product flops Hasbro has already made its money by selling to their customers, the retailers. the retailers then in turn decide whether they want to buy anymore product from that manufacturer and risk taking further losses. the fact that these are being released probably means the original wasn't as big a flop as you want to make it out to be, or else the retailers, who employ buyers to decide on which products to carry and have knowledge of sales numbers, would have passed on this idea and it wouldn't be being released.

and there are plenty of potential customers for this who may not want or even know of the Starscream coming out, who may see this and buy this because it looks cool. the world of TF's does not revolve around the obssesive fans who live, breath and drink TF's. though I know you do not believe that.

Regardless of the alterations I'll pick one up. It's not a bad figure, when you really look at the engineering and design that went into this. Plus my original release of this mold was broken beyond repair when he accidently fell off the shelf and suffered a dual achilles tendon tear. He only sits in alt mode now. Sad, when the healthcare system defeats Optimus Prime over Megatron.

Or all of the people that use the term "Masterpiece Prime"(which, ya know.....doesn't actually exist)? @smilepunch@

Or like "20th Century Prime"? @smilepunch@

Masterpiece Convoy

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime

Hasbro's re-release of 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime has:

- (apparently) silver paint instead of chrome

- yellow on the front vents of his helmet (it's 20AOP, not Cybertron!)

- short stacks

- no "battle damage" paint

- a base that speaks phrases from the movie (but not spoken by Peter Cullen)

- still no trailer (but possibly the cardboard "repair bay" that the original release had.

- Blue(?) gun with yellow(?!) highlights

MP-04 has:

- A snazzy new trailer that opens into the repair bay, but from what I've read, there's no Roller.

- ... that's it, I think, aside from the obvious new box to accomodate the trailer.

I already have MPC and 20AOP, and they both stay in their boxes. If I ever actually need the trailer, I'll probably just buy one on eBay. :)

Or all of the people that use the term "Masterpiece Prime"(which, ya know.....doesn't actually exist)? @smilepunch@

Or like "20th Century Prime"? @smilepunch@

Editted for yet another reason why I shouldn't post soon after waking up. @smilepunch@

Blue gun, ick.

I think it's in this type of packaging to look similar to the classics line (if people buy classics maybe they'll see this more g1-accurate prime and want it too).

@loll@ @loll@ Sorry, I rather get the MP-01 or MP-4 or the 20th Anniv, as oppose to this new Reissue version. Poor paint, no chrome, the blue gun doesn't look right, and they called it DVD Version but the darn thing doesn't come with a DVD @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@

I'll gladly be buying this DVD tie-in Prime. I couldn't afford the $75 back when it was originally released, and never saw them go to clearance (they disappeared quickly when that time came.)

Takara's stuff is just too much. Sure, I'd like to have a trailer and a more accurately-colored gun, but these are things I'd be willing to pass on for a chance to get a huge Prime to go on the shelf for a better (in my eyes) price.

I don't mind the non-chrome parts, but I really thought this one would come with the taller stacks for some reason. And I hate that gun! Bah!

Things I wanted: black/gray gun, accurate stacks, non-battle damage paint job

Things I got: non-battle damage paint job (lol)

I have the great original (Hasbro), but I really wanted this new one, mainly for the reasons I mentioned...and I love the fact that he comes with that talking base. I want the Takara MP Prime but with the English-speaking base. I'm spoiled, aren't I. (lol)

and how exactly does Hasbro make money by someone selling an old toy second hand? if there is demand for them on ebay, it actually only makes sense for Hasbro to re-release it and make the money selling it to the consumer instead of the consumer having to find one on the secondary market. the implications of your own answer answers your own question of why it is being re-released.

I am not worried about Hasbro. Many times they've had the chance to sell or reissue stuff people want only to pass, so their profits are no concern to me.

let's be honest, it flopped so much that retailers want it back. Hasbro doesn't just produce these toys randomly. they sell them to retailers, so even if a product flops Hasbro has already made its money by selling to their customers, the retailers. the retailers then in turn decide whether they want to buy anymore product from that manufacturer and risk taking further losses. the fact that these are being released probably means the original wasn't as big a flop as you want to make it out to be, or else the retailers, who employ buyers to decide on which products to carry and have knowledge of sales numbers, would have passed on this idea and it wouldn't be being released.

Want it back, or are willing to take it a second time? There is a difference, especially if those stores are UK outlets who didn't carry it in the first place. Yes it did flop, and if you didn't see it substantially marked down within two months of it's release then you just weren't looking.

I think I'd just go with Takara's. I'd never have the room to store a trailer anwyay. =/