Look at this pic

RocknRoll1982

I thought Id post this here since we are all one big Joe Family. (Plus I dont know how to just post the pic)

I so miss those days. When a kid could get up on a laz summer morning and ride his bike or walk to the store and see a toy aisle like this one then go home and play Joes all day until the cartoon came on (unless the blasted Cubs were on). any here is a link to the pic.

http://www.joesightings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3782

Yeah I remember my high school days going to TRU and seeing tons of TOYS where every TRU was DIFFERENT. I remember going to TRU and saw one aisle of glass cases displaying all videogame system and their hardware. Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Nintendo 64, etc. And you can play those games all day if you wanted because the employees encourage us to. But its not the same anymore.....

Now every freaking retail store is all the same. Target, TRU, Kaybee, Walmart ALL THE SAME!!! No difference whatsoever. :(

It makes you want to go back in time and live thru that again so that I can pick up more of the 1997-1998 GIJOE toys. @smilepunch@

I still remember a trip to Toys R Us as a kid.... must have been '84. I'm sure seeing it from a child's perspective may have made it look bigger than it actually was, but I still picture a wall of GI Joes on the pegs. In my mind it was like 8 feet tall and 20 feet long with peg after peg of carded figures....

Now I go to Toys R Us and all I see of GI Joe is one side of a feature unit out in front of the action figures section, but it's sideways and you have to walk around the back of it to realize that's where the Joes are. It's only about 5 feet across with half of the peg board filled with BAT Attack 6 Packs, the other half filled with Commando Sigma Six figures. On the shelf below are the Sigma Six figures with the weapons boxes, and filling the shelf they're only 3 or 4 deep. On the shelf below that is a few ROCCs and Ice Sabres, and that is the entire GI Joe section.

Last time I was there I saw a father with his son who could not find a toy he wanted. The father kept pointing out various anime-related toy lines, and his son would wander over the the Batman and Spiderman stuff...

Brings a tear to me eye... :(

In 1987 Christmas eve my Dad took me to a toy aisle like this and said "son , either take your pick of $300 worth of G.I Joes or you can have a bike." Because I was always teased at school for not owning a bike I went with the bike. The worst mistake I have ever made in my life. :(

What a photo... Where's the time machine? It is sad how the toy stores have changed.

My eyes are definitely moistening a bit. I started collecting Joe back in 1982 when my Dad brought home Stalker, followed by the Vamp w/ clutch and Rock n' Roll. Starting then, I would take trips to Child World (remember Child World?) and, on rare occassions, TRU. That pic is exactly what it used to look like. Joe figures and vehicles as far and wide as the eye could see. That pic really brings back the memories full force. There will never be an era like that in this hobby ever again. We should count ourselves lucky that we experienced it.

long.jpg

Man, the good ol' days, I remeber being brought to TRU on my B-day as a kid, my Step-mom would tell me I coul dhave anything I wanted, I was a shy kid, so I never really got too much, but I'd alwas ask.. "Can I have this?" and she'd say, Anything.. so I'd put it in the cart..

"This?".... ANYTHING JOE.. but still, I was afraid to ask for too much, lol.. so I'd always stop myself and everytime, she's ask.. "That's it?"... lol... I knew I should have just put my arm out and let the stuff fill the basket...

Anyone remember the good ol' days when TRU had the vehicles put together on the top of the aisle? I used to drool at the FLAGG everytime I went there, lol.

thanks xhairs... there is hope! anyone know what year the service merch pic is from roughly? having not seen it, i'm curious. i have looked all over for old pics of toy aisles/store fronts in hopes of collecting them for a printed booklet or something of that nature for collectors to share. if anyone has any they want to share...

and thanks for answering the question of a rookie poster.

just for fun.. which figures can you make out from the pic?

here are my guesses-

top row: Airborne, Ripcord, Duke,

2nd: unknown, Gung Ho, Unknown

3rd: Snowjob, Duke, Snowjob

4th: Unknown, Unknown, Baroness, StormShadow

5th: CobraCommander, Torpedo, Unkown, Destro, Spirit

the vehices I can make out are:

Skystriker, Mauler, FANG, APC I think.. and the HQ

incredible... anyone know the history of this shot? in addition to what clam34 sees, i think i see a dragonfly, a mobat (maybe instead of the mauler, but i could be wrong...), walkie talkies... and is that some night rider stuff on the left... who cares?!

Wow Night force vehicles for only $20 a piece!!! :o:o:o

Makes you wish you were still back in the late 80s.

tru88.jpg

I actually managed to pick up the Night Blaster, Night Shade, Night Raider and Night Storm (the 4 lower ones) off ebay, complete, for $80, including shipping from Canada.

Im crying right now. I remember the late 80s seeing those in every store I went to. My Grandad and Uncle who were in the Navy would take me to the NEX and I would see a whole aisle dedicated to the Joes.

I was one of the kids that grew up with the late 80's/early 90's GI Joes but I do remember the shelves being clogged with them back in the day.

Then my family moved overseas but even there GI Joes were still all over the toy shelves.I still remember the day I got my first '88 Snake Eyes,my mom took me to the store just to get him.

*sigh* I miss the good ol' days.