Bought him, opened him, and he is the WORST Transformer Ive ever touched.

Starscream49

Alternator Optimus Prime.

In trying to transform him, no less than 5 pieces popped off.

Nearly impossible to get him back into perfect truck form.

Every piece seems to be extremely loose.

I felt like I was messing with a piece of junk.

Sounds like crap!

Alternator Optimus Prime.

In trying to transform him, no less than 5 pieces popped off.

Nearly impossible to get him back into perfect truck form.

Every piece seems to be extremely loose.

I felt like I was messing with a piece of junk.

I guess he will stay in the box when I get him.

I have him too and felt the same way. I just feel like there could of been somethings that could of improved this figure..to say the least.

1.) A peg or some kind to lock his hood/torso in place.

2.) Ratcheting joints (or tighter joints)

3.) Telescoping legs

4.) Mid bicep swivel joint.

Dont get me wrong its a decent figure w/ alot of flaws..engineering-wise? I think it was rushed.

Off topic: I have serious qualms with Alt Mirage as well.. it feels like a marionette ..all floppy. and his chest plate and back kibble is so loose it seems like he's wearing a poncho.

Im very optimistic with TFs. When everyone says it looks bad, I hold judgement. I actually think he looks better than in person than in pics but he is basically junk.

Im not returning him cause that would make my TF collection one short :)

i bought one and just thought it was my dumb luck to get one that the leg joints are very loose and he can't even stand,and when transforming everything seems to pop off.so i went and bought another one and lo and behold same thing.so i managed to find a third one and have kept it misb and plan to possibly use the other two for kitbashing.now if i can just find mirage ^_^

Hi, this topic is close to my heart-- so I had to register to reply. I don't think I'm neccessarily in the minority, but even though I have and love my 20th Ann. Prime w/ custom longer stacks, I still really want a decent Alternator Prime. In 20 years I feel that the alternator/binaltech line comes closest to capturing what I felt when I first discovered the Transformers. I'm not an MISB collector, I play with my toys, and with a tight budget I try to only add essential or meaningful pieces to my collection. Ever since I heard about the Dodge Ram alt, I hoped it would be a Prime who could 'interact' with my other 7-8" scale ultra-detailed Autobots. People, how else is your Alt. Grimlock going to stand up to Optimus like he did in War Within or Season 1? :rolleyes: Since then I have seen every picture and read every review of the controversial figure, weighing the pros and cons. I think that with the right paint and QC, that mold could be a great Alternator leader, so I'm going to spend the $60 to get a Kiss Convoy. It was said somewhere else that Hasbro appears to have made a "value" Alternator, cutting corners to provide a bigger toy at the same $20 price. I think my childhood hero deserves better. If Convoy does turn out diecast, he'll be my first binaltech.

Spencer at Ages Three and Up (home of those awesome custom stacks) says that his Japanese supplier insists Convoy's diecast. However, the guys at Kicks Hobby Japan in Seattle say nobody really knows for sure. I don't believe that Japanese magazines are any more accurate than, say, Toyfare, which is far from infallible. If he's plastic, he'll have the same awesome paint job, which really makes sense for the mold. The dark blue breaks up all that red and makes his lower arms look more whole, less like random kibble. And I think $60USD (the online price at Ages) are better spent on one good figure than three crappy ones... And yes, I've seen the Alt. Prime up close in the toy aisle. The transparent-looking red-orange plastic made up my mind for me and I casually put the box back.

Whah whah whah, some guys are never going to be happy with what Hasbro gives them. Toy fans can be so whiney, some of you never focus on the positives of a toy. i.e. the size of Prime alone makes him kickass. Do any of you remember some of the horrors from Beast Machines? Geckobot? Megatron? Mega Cheetor? Deluxe Thrust? Savage Noble? Didn't think so.

I think that transformers today are the greatest that there have ever been and while Alt. Optimus isn't 20th Anni. Optimus it is still an incredible toy. And for all those that think Hasbro skimped on their production, remember that they have a budget to keep and not every detail can be included.

Whah whah whah, some guys are never going to be happy with what Hasbro gives them. Toy fans can be so whiney, some of you never focus on the positives of a toy. i.e. the size of Prime alone makes him kickass. Do any of you remember some of the horrors from Beast Machines? Geckobot? Megatron? Mega Cheetor? Deluxe Thrust? Savage Noble? Didn't think so.

I think that transformers today are the greatest that there have ever been and while Alt. Optimus isn't 20th Anni. Optimus it is still an incredible toy. And for all those that think Hasbro skimped on their production, remember that they have a budget to keep and not every detail can be included.

Settle down there cowboy. I have just about every transformer ever made AND I love Hasbro. I like about 95% of the TF they produce. I think Im well qualified to say Alt Prime is junk and thats not something I say often.

I'm also a Hasbro fan. Afterall, they really are the ones who created the Transformers we love when they brought over the molds from Japan and went to Marvel Comics (the REAL Vector Sigma) to give these characters life and depth. #US1# I really like all the current Transformer lines, too, and appreciate that Mr. Archer is a bona fide transfan. However, sometimes you have to make a stand. A few years ago, I passed over the Hasbro re-issue of Optimus Prime because of the horrible hack job they were forced to perform on his stacks. I completely understood their dilema, but I took my business elsewhere and purchased a New Years Special Convoy. He cost a little more but remains a prized part of my collection. I really, really wanted Alt. Prime to work out, but he's just got too many strikes against him!

So how well does he hold up once he's in robot mode? Does he fall apart or is it just with the transformation?

Mine has yet to fall apart in robot mode, and to tell the truth, he's been incredibly sturdy. A piece or two did pop off in transformation, but that was only upon my initial transformation.