DC Comics customs

Magic 8 Ball

So I'm finally getting around to tossing up custom pics. Be gentle with me, my photography skills are lacking. :)

First up is Mallah and the Brain, Mallah and the Brain, one's a gorilla, the other's a... brain.

mallah-brain1.jpg

Brain is a myriad of parts, most notably a 10" Iron Man head (which, judging by the pics, still needs some sanding). After looking through my comics, I realized he's a character that maintains a basic design, but changes actual appearance, with nearly every artist, so I went for the design and added my own details. I'm aware he doesn't have the dome over his grey matter- I'm still trying to figure that one out.

mallah.jpg

Mallah began life as a King Kong figure. I filled in the 'scars' on his face and body, painted him, added the bullet belts (from old X-Men figures), and put a gun in his hands (from a Playmates Savage Dragon). He turned out so well and was so easy that I'm wondering why I haven't seen anyone do this before.

blockbuster1.jpg

Next up is Penguin's favorite conversation piece, Blockbuster. He was a LOTDK Joker, with 200X MOTU Ram-Man's fists and an X-Men Evolution Sabretooth head. With his recent, barely publicized death and stuffing, I don't think he'll be getting a figure anytime soon. Then again, I never thought he'd come back after being incinerated during Legends, either.

batman1.jpg

Last but not least, Batman. This is a simple mod of the current DCSH Batman, with the head, cape, and batarang of the Mattel Batman, with all the blue on the body painted to match. I'm really only showing it off because I think it looks tons better than it did previously, and while I'm sure others have done it, I haven't seen anyone else showing it off.

metallo.jpg

The only Metallo figure in the 6-7" scale is the Superman/Batman one, which, while being artistically impressive, just doesn't work for me. I think it has a lot to do with it looking like the Timm version on crack. It may also be the ridiculous Steam shovel arm. Anyway, Metallo here is meant to harken to the huge, bulky, walking-tank look he had through much of the 90's. He was constructed largely from a Mecha-Hulk figure with legs from a Beetle (Spider-Man). While it may look like a simple repaint at first glance, let's see what's under the hood...

metallodark.jpg

Why, it's Metallo's Kryptonite battery! Taking advantage of the doors provided by the missile launchers in the Mecha-Hulk's chest, I carved out his insides, inserted some fake wiring and random pieces to make it look like he has a Kryptonite 'heart'.

metallolight.jpg

Then, I made it light up. Oh yes, this is what made the custom all worth it. Not only does the chest open and the Kryptonite light up, but this is accomplished using the same button that used to launch the missiles, keeping it secure and inconspicuous.

Metallo clocks in at about 7 1/2" tall, and almost as wide! I took some mock fight pics with a Superman figure, which he towers over and looks impressively menacing compared to, but my camera skills aren't good enough yet for them to turn out very well... double sigh.

More of my customs can be found at: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v156/whizkidtoys/

I will offer a warning that the qaulity of most of the pics is worse than the ones above, so you might be risking a loss of vision just to view them.

Questions, comments, camera tips?

Great work all around. I'm not a huge fan of the mattel figs, but that Batman does look excellent in black! You carried out metallo to a T as well. I imagin that Blockbuster towers over most figures too, I have the LOTDK Joker and he's quite tall, great base figure choice there! I really like Mallah and the Brain especially though. They are a pair I've wanted to do for a while and your's are very inspiring! Great stuff man!