3 3/4" Offical Update

JayC

Ok just so I'm clear. whatever Hasbro has got cooking for the 2tth. it will be in 3 3/4" scale. Now there has been some hint that the design of the figure may not be the classic design we r used to, but would be 3 3/4". Hasbro is being pretty vague on what's in store for 3 3/4" in 07.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DavAnthony

DAVE you hit it right on the head bud. i agree with all that you said. we did our job in buying the stuff but you onlly can buy so much bad stuff befor you say enough is enough i want to buy something like. and with how hasblor has handle the whole dtc line nowonder it failed they wanted it to.

We are simpatico, hombre. Like I said it is just my opinion but it seems to make sense to me and the fact that 3.75" Joes weren't doing badly before hasbro sent them to vacation "hiatus". They would never give out actual numbers...they would just say "sales weren't what we were anticipating". Well first rule of business is you need to spend money to make money. Hasbro wasn't spending much time or effort on this line.

Also I would prefer ToyBiz to have GiJoe. They have some QC problems but so does Hasbro. ToyBiz has proven they are interested in meeting the inbetween ground of fans and making money. They took the ML line that had no T.V. or Movie tie-in, at that point, and broke all industry speculation that it couldn't succeed. They also took a chance on articulation (something Hasbro has not done since they added the swivel neck ball join in '85) and loaded their figures with articulation and STILL made it affordable.

It's no wonder Hasbro wanted to get a hold of Marvel Legends, it is always easier to eliminate the leader in a race then push yourself and try to meet the standards of the best that is out there.

I don't think the 3 3/4 line is completely dead. I think we'll get a little bit here and a little bit there, while they focus their energy on the two Sigma 6 lines. Eventually, the Sigma 6 cartoon will be cancelled and the line will follow. Then they'll push the 3 3/4 back out full force untill they decide on a new concept to push 3 3/4 in the background again.

Do any of you guys think since the 3 3/4 line is more military a more realistic that with the War In Iraq, Hasbro is pushing a more fantasy/sci fi/adventure version to the front? Just like what happend with the 12" Joes after Viet Nam?

Also I would prefer ToyBiz to have GiJoe. They have some QC problems but so does Hasbro. ToyBiz has proven they are interested in meeting the inbetween ground of fans and making money.

Toy biz gave up the Marvel license to Hasbro, didn't they? I also was under the impression that Toy Biz is shutting down their operations to let Hasbro take it over.

It's like we're on a life support machine here, getting a supply of oxygen slowly fed to us. Hopefully they will crank the flow up a bit in '07. Having the stuff come back into TRU seems like a step in the right direction. I'm liking the photos. The Plague looks cool and I will be picking it up, as well as several of the individual packs.

Guest DavAnthony

I don't think the 3 3/4 line is completely dead. I think we'll get a little bit here and a little bit there, while they focus their energy on the two Sigma 6 lines. Eventually, the Sigma 6 cartoon will be cancelled and the line will follow. Then they'll push the 3 3/4 back out full force untill they decide on a new concept to push 3 3/4 in the background again.

Do any of you guys think since the 3 3/4 line is more military a more realistic that with the War In Iraq, Hasbro is pushing a more fantasy/sci fi/adventure version to the front? Just like what happend with the 12" Joes after Viet Nam?

I think that has alot to do with it. They dont' want to offend anyone or appear to be taking "sides" so their hedging their bets, playing it safe and going with non-realistic, non-threatening, toys.

no! not 8 inch classic figures... c'mon Hasbro, stop being stupid

and they are being stupid how?

fact is there is no proof that Marvel Legend 6" Joes are truly in demand. sure, there is the vocal online group, but that doesn't neccessarily equate to a large consumer base that will actually buy the product. and even if the demand is greater than I give it credit for, I am willing to bet it isn't greater than the amount of children who are going to view the 8" Joes as its own toyline, not a rip-off or imitation of ML.

it is more detrimental for G.I. Joe as a brand to simply imitate other toylines. and no, S6 did not imitate other toylines, even if it adapted a style that is more popular today. the product, as a whole, is different than any other action figure available. G.I. Joe has to always be seen as something different than what is available, that it has to offer something that other toylines do not. ML is 6", thus G.I. Joe is 8", so that Joe isn't ever confused with other toylines. imitating the ML line is bad for the brand.

in the long run the image of the brand, and sales, are going to be served much greater by keeping it seperate from ML than the sales it will receive if Johnn Adult Toy Collector can play with or display his Captain America and Duke figures in the same scale.

if that is not what you meant by Hasbro stop being stupid, I apologize.

I disagree in a big way.. You think kids are going to care if GiJoe might be imitating another toyline? When I was younger, I knew TONS of kids who mixed their GiJoes and Starwars figures because they were simply the same size... I never did because of the obvious differences... but I don't see how having ML and GiJoe in the same scale would hurt either brand. It could ONLY help both. If I like GiJoe and Marvel stuff, I am going to buy both if they are both good toylines.. its not like I have a limit on the amount of 6 inch figures I will buy. On the other hand, I am much less likely to buy both if they don't mix, and one is far superior to the other in every way. Since Marvel toys will now be made by Hasbro, I don't know why they wouldn't create two lines that could coexist together.

and the only proof you need that ML Joes are in demand are sales... Marvel stuff is the only thing I know that you have to actually hunt for.. I can find everything else anytime... and it aint simply because Marvel characters are the most popular, its the ML formula.

as for GiJoe always being something different.. I don't think that really matters anymore.. there is no more GiJoe identity.. Hasbro ruined that when they started the new sculpts a few years ago... that formula wasn't necessarily "GiJoe" at all... and Sigma Six has shown that they don't really care to fit in with the idea of GiJoe... they are willing to experiment and change in order to make money.. so why not do it with 6 inchers that will actually sell?

Ok just so I'm clear. whatever Hasbro has got cooking for the 2tth. it will be in 3 3/4" scale. Now there has been some hint that the design of the figure may not be the classic design we r used to, but would be 3 3/4". Hasbro is being pretty vague on what's in store for 3 3/4" in 07.

What seems illogical to me about Joe success is why doesn't Hasbro just come outright and ask what we (the consumer/fans) will take to if they have a new concept for figure design; instead of being "vague", guessing, and then produce stuff hardly anyone has interest in. The roundtable seems to be the best time to mix it up and share ideas. Whatever feedback that doesn't seem possible to the design team and bean counters could maybe prematurely negotiated. I doubt any "top secret" design ideas would leak to another toy competitor, if that's a concern.

I know other toy companies and other toy lines don't bother with it but just figured it might be useful with today's JOE. There are so many variations of this line to satisfy the various fan interst. As they say...united we stand, divided we fall. @firedevil@

and the only proof you need that ML Joes are in demand are sales... Marvel stuff is the only thing I know that you have to actually hunt for.. I can find everything else anytime... and it aint simply because Marvel characters are the most popular, its the ML formula.

That doesn't mean #$## The reason for the scarcity is because ToyBiz does not have a dedicated distribution system that Hasbro and Mattel have.

Once Hasbro's takes over ML, I can guarantee that the line will be significantly easier to get.

And again, what works for comic book superheroes may not work for fantasy military figures. They are two completely different brands with two completely different collector base and consumer perceptions

the rest of your psot I can disagree with and simply scratch it up as difference in opinion, but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that ML popularity isn't dependent upon the characters but the formula. if that were the case, there would never be any ML pegwarmers because every figure would be in demand because it adhered to the formula. ML line is dependent first and foremost on the characters.

fact is ML sales are driven by Marvel comic fans, a percentage of which may also be Joe fans. but I am willing to bet that that percentage is only minimal percentage of adult Joe collectors, and you can see how that amount of Joe ML fans are probably not as great as you want to believe. and I find it hard to believe someone who isn't a Joe fan is going to buy Joe figures just because they are sculpted like ML figures.

What seems illogical to me about Joe success is why doesn't Hasbro just come outright and ask what we (the consumer/fans) will take to if they have a new concept for figure design; instead of being "vague", guessing, and then produce stuff hardly anyone has interest in.

Which fans? The RAH purists who just want RAH repaints? The new sculpt fans who want all new renditions? The scale fans who buy anything in the scale? The 12" fans? The kids who are far more important consumers?

I will guarantee all of those groups will give a conflicting answer on what they want from a new figure design

Which fans? The RAH purists who just want RAH repaints? The new sculpt fans who want all new renditions? The scale fans who buy anything in the scale? The 12" fans? The kids who are far more important consumers?

I will guarantee all of those groups will give a conflicting answer on what they want from a new figure design

You're right on man. I guess it's way complicated and suppose it's safe to say they haven't done to shabby given the circumstances. Ideally we'd like to all get what we want but, that's not realistic. I just get a little heated when I think of resources spent on new projects that could be focused more on 3.75, although I think I understand the business POV.

well guys we can #$## and complaine all day long but hasbor will do what they want now that they have some ppl hooked on S6 and the 2.5 (happy meal) figs . they have done what they wanted to do is kill the line slowly they will just have us hang around till next year with all this talk about something big . ya right like what the will just kill off the line agin cuse next year is all TF and SW so joes have gone to the back burnner. like Dave said i would love to see onther companie take over g i joe and give us what we want.

the rest of your psot I can disagree with and simply scratch it up as difference in opinion, but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that ML popularity isn't dependent upon the characters but the formula. if that were the case, there would never be any ML pegwarmers because every figure would be in demand because it adhered to the formula. ML line is dependent first and foremost on the characters.

fact is ML sales are driven by Marvel comic fans, a percentage of which may also be Joe fans. but I am willing to bet that that percentage is only minimal percentage of adult Joe collectors, and you can see how that amount of Joe ML fans are probably not as great as you want to believe. and I find it hard to believe someone who isn't a Joe fan is going to buy Joe figures just because they are sculpted like ML figures.

the main reason why there are ever pegwarmers is because ML stuff is not packed at all evenly. You can get one figure get packed 1 per case of 12, and others get packed 4 per case... yes, it happens that way sometimes in ML.. However, if a particular figure sucks, as does happen from time to time, nobody will buy it, regardless of the character.

and you are probably right, most non-Joe fans will not buy an ML styled Joe just because of the style. However, I am willing to bet my left nut that more non-Joe fans would buy ML Joes than Sigma Six or DTC stuff. I think ML Joes would do far better at attracting new fans than Sigma Six did, even with its cartoon companion.

and, even without getting ANY crossover fans... I think MOST Joe fans would gladly pick up ML styled Joes... Joe fans that didn't pick up Sigma Six because it is nothing like the GiJoe they know.. and Joe fans who don't really buy DTC stuff because it isn't what they want in their 3 3/4 figures.

yeah.. its all my opinion, and what I believe.. but something just tells me that if they did it right, ML Joes would be the most successful GiJoe property on the market, outselling DTC and Sigma Six by a long shot

I disagree with the poster that said GI Joe is always different. Original Gi Joe wasn't the first 3 3/4, or even the first o ring construction. Micronauts figures are made exactlty the same way and came years before joes.

GI joe extreme aped quite a few toylines of its time.

And if the microman rumors are true, then they're copying miroman's design, which is what gi joe first copied off of in the first place.

I don't think kids care. If anything they'd like it that both toy lines are interchangeable and can be played with together, as kids like to mix their toys together and play with them all, rather than one property at a time.

Guest DavAnthony

"I don't think kids care. If anything they'd like it that both toy lines are interchangeable and can be played with together, as kids like to mix their toys together and play with them all, rather than one property at a time."

I agree with you completely, which makes a 8" line of figures make even less sense to me.

... I think MOST Joe fans would gladly pick up ML styled Joes... Joe fans that didn't pick up Sigma Six because it is nothing like the GiJoe they know.. and Joe fans who don't really buy DTC stuff because it isn't what they want in their 3 3/4 figures.

yeah.. its all my opinion, and what I believe.. but something just tells me that if they did it right, ML Joes would be the most successful GiJoe property on the market, outselling DTC and Sigma Six by a long shot

I know it's your opinions and beliefs on it, so I don't want to come across as a personal attack. But as I've said time and again - I just don't understand the rabid desire so many people have for a Marvel Legends style set of GI Joe figures. Even if they looked exactly like their 3 3/4" counterparts, I just have no interest in them.

Well in case Hasbro is listening, I for one would be a completist of an ML style Joe line using the classic RAH characters. I think there would be a lot of room for cross-overs and I could also load up on weapons for Punisher, Bullseye and Task Master.

... I think MOST Joe fans would gladly pick up ML styled Joes... Joe fans that didn't pick up Sigma Six because it is nothing like the GiJoe they know.. and Joe fans who don't really buy DTC stuff because it isn't what they want in their 3 3/4 figures.

I know it's your opinions and beliefs on it, so I don't want to come across as a personal attack. But as I've said time and again - I just don't understand the rabid desire so many people have for a Marvel Legends style set of GI Joe figures. Even if they looked exactly like their 3 3/4" counterparts, I just have no interest in them.

okay.. but do you collect anything other than 3 3/4 joes?

okay.. but do you collect anything other than 3 3/4 joes?

Yes and no... a few years ago I was collecting:

- 3 3/4" GI Joe

- 12" GI Joe

- Star Wars

- Star Trek (Art Asylum + my existing Playmates collection)

- Comics (about 20 titles a month between Marvel, DC, and Devil's Due)

- DC Direct

- Marvel Legends

I was running out of shelf space and cash, so I cut back. I got so tired of all the bad storylines in the comics I read that I stopped reading comics, and my Marvel and DC figure collections soon followed. My Star Wars collecting really only peaked during the movie push (VOTC and ROTS figures), and the limited release of Art Asylum's Star Trek figures keeps that collection fairly small.

I don't want to drag this thread too much further off topic, so I guess I'll close by saying that you're right, my collection at this point really doesn't stray too far outside the 3 3/4" GI Joes. And I would much rather see more new characters in the 3 3/4" scale and updated looks to the old characters than a new scale of figures based on the same characters thrown in the mix.

I can't claim to represent anyone's opinions but my own, but in the past year or so when this whole 6" GI Joe legends campaign started I've never been able to understand its driving motivation. As far as I can tell it sprang from a few people going ga-ga over guys like Edmund's truly talented work, but I never really "got it" beyond that.