Superman is not American anymore

Wandye

Mike Dougherty and Dan Harris, the two credited screenwriters for 'Superman Returns' have changed Supermans famous motto, "Truth, Justice and the American way", to "Truth Justice and ... all that stuff". Seriously. No, really. They did.

Dan: "I don't think 'the American way' means what it meant in 1945." Mike: "He's not just for Metropolis and not just for America." Dan: "He's an alien, from Krypton; he has come to Earth to be kind of a savior for this world, not our country . . . And he has no papers." Mike: "What would happen with the immigration laws we have now?" Dan: "I'd like to see someone kick him out!"

Yes, yes, good for you two dickheads. Arent you just so clever. I bet Stalin and Kim Jung-il are just beaming with pride right now.

(I would have written more about this but I'm so angry right now, and when i tried it was just "dirty god damn hippies" and "god I hate Hollywood so much sometimes" for like 8 pages.)

Source = Page Six

courtesy = http://www.wwtdd.com/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with you. But actually, this isn't the first time this has come up. In Superman 176, Jeph Loeb had Superman questioning the "American Way" part of the motto. As much as I like Jeph's writing this still pisses me off. I get so sick of anti-American crap like this. God forbid anyone gets offended, feels left out or has their feelings hurt that an American icon is proud of his (adopted) roots. The "American Way" still applies, we're still a noble country and should be proud of it.

But hey guys, please dont overreact with this; Superman is protecting our world, just like the Justice League, they are not only out to watch just America, it would be selfish.

I can see Superman caring about italian, spanish and costa rican people just as he does for americans, since hes a worldwide icon.

Far be it for me to speak for anyone else, but I think the anger stems from not that he's a hero for the world, but because the American way part seems to have been dropped only because the writers seem to have a problem with the way they view America.

It's just more PC crap.

I never really saw it as it meaning he was American. I thought Truth,Justice, and the American way meant that he was protecting the american way for the world. What we stand for in other words. Freedom, etc.. he's upholding it all over the earth.

Are you going to let a couple of idiotic politically correct writers ruin Superman for you? Truth of the matter is Superman has always stood for and always will stand for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman really belongs to the tried and true fans who have kept him going and popular after all of these years. Comic book writers may keep trying to remake Superman using political bull s**t but that doesn't mean Superman's motto is ever going to change. The writers can screw themselves over political correctness. Superman is still 100% American made with original motto intact as far as I'm concerned.

Are you going to let a couple of idiotic politically correct writers ruin Superman for you? Truth of the matter is Superman has always stood for and always will stand for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman really belongs to the tried and true fans who have kept him going and popular after all of these years. Comic book writers may keep trying to remake Superman using political bull s**t but that doesn't mean Superman's motto is ever going to change. The writers can screw themselves over political correctness. Superman is still 100% American made with original motto intact as far as I'm concerned.

Actually he was Canadian made, hehe, but yeah i agree it's stupid to change things it's just a movie, I wouldn't worry bout being PC in a movie, if people don't like what he stands for too bad for them it's just a movie.

I'm not an American so the whole "American way" line never appeal to me. Besides, its just a line. It's not what makes Superman Superman. It's still what he does.

I think the line was left out because "the American Way" does not mean the same thing to all people and this movie will be released world wide. It just a way to avoid offending people which may hurt the amount of money the movie makes. It's not so much politically correct as it is financially correct.

I'm not at all surprised. Most of the writers in Hollywood, and an increasing number in comics, are left-wing morons with a child's understanding of politics.

This isn't new. Marvel swung far to the left several years ago, so far that I can't read most of it anymore. The most glaring example is what they've done to Captain America. Instead of a patriotic freedom fighter who loves his country, kicks ass, and takes names, they've made him into a cartoon cut-out of how the left views the character. It shows a complete ignorance of what Cap is all about. Cap is from the 1940's. He's a staunch patriot, and a member of the greatest generation. He wouldn't be wrought with angst about fighting terrorists, killing bad guys, and defending his country. He also wouldn't be fighting against the Gov't in the "Civil War" epic.

So now they're trying to take America out of Superman. What a bunch of d-heads.

@grumpy@

I'm not an American so the whole "American way" line never appeal to me. Besides, its just a line. It's not what makes Superman Superman. It's still what he does.

Wrong. Superman is an American Icon. If you don't "get it", no big deal. But to us, it matters.

#US1#

I think the line was left out because "the American Way" does not mean the same thing to all people and this movie will be released world wide. It just a way to avoid offending people which may hurt the amount of money the movie makes. It's not so much politically correct as it is financially correct.

BS. This movie will make plenty of money both here and abroad regardless. One little line in the movie is not going to keep someone from another country from seeing the movie. That is nonsense. Everyone knows where Supes is from but he is still seen as an American Icon. If somebody has a problem w/ that, they would avoid the movie regardless of whether that line is in there or not. Changing that line was sacrilege in my opinion. I noticed it and so did all of my friends.

Wrong. Superman is an American Icon. If you don't "get it", no big deal. But to us, it matters.

#US1#

Exactly #US1#

Ok, ok, I can see both sides of this argument. YES, Supes is an AMERICAN ICON, however, this topic has been brought up on various levels of Superman lore, from the comics to the Justice League, Smallville, and Lois & Clark. The writers didn't change the line simply to be "PC" in the movie. Its been altered before. The reason being is that Superman is more global, and what I mean by that, is that he simply isn't saving just America anymore, but people all over the world, and in some instances, the entire galaxy. I really don't think the idea is more PC, its simply updated for our times. I mean, come on, you don't see Supes on comic covers riding missiles into Germany anymore. Why? If I really have to answer that, you simply don't get it...

You people are totally over-reacting. If you want to complain about the obvious suckiness of this movie, go ahead. But to have an entire topic about how they changed a motto that I don't think many people even know of to begin with. I didn't know that was Superman's catch phrase...

Ok, ok, I can see both sides of this argument. YES, Supes is an AMERICAN ICON, however, this topic has been brought up on various levels of Superman lore, from the comics to the Justice League, Smallville, and Lois & Clark. The writers didn't change the line simply to be "PC" in the movie. Its been altered before. The reason being is that Superman is more global, and what I mean by that, is that he simply isn't saving just America anymore, but people all over the world, and in some instances, the entire galaxy. I really don't think the idea is more PC, its simply updated for our times.

It doesn't matter who, what or where Superman saves, he's still an American icon preserving the American Way. Just because he saves the universe, doesn't mean the motto should be changed. He's from America, period.

I mean, come on, you don't see Supes on comic covers riding missiles into Germany anymore. Why? If I really have to answer that, you simply don't get it...

Just because he's not fighting in WWII, means that they should change the motto? What kind of rationale is that?

You people are totally over-reacting. If you want to complain about the obvious suckiness of this movie, go ahead. But to have an entire topic about how they changed a motto that I don't think many people even know of to begin with. I didn't know that was Superman's catch phrase...

Everyone knows this motto. My parents, co-workers, etc. know it and they have never read a Superman comic in their lives. They also think it's pretty repulsive to change it. You might want to read up on your American pop culture.

Well, I guess its just pretty obvious that some people don't get the big picture. And if one could, please define for me "the American way" and why this phrase being altered seems to be bringing your little world to a screeching halt.

Yeah, nice of you to dance around my questions. Here's the definition:

The American way of life is an expression that refers to the "lifestyle" of people living in the United States. It is an example of a behavioral modality, developed during the 20th century. It refers to an nationalist ethos that purports to adhere to principles of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." It has some connection to the concept of American exceptionalism.

During the time of the Cold War, the expression was commonly used by the media to highlight the differences in living standards of the populations of the United States and Russia. At that time, American popular culture broadly embraced the idea that anyone, regardless of the circumstances of his or her birth, could significantly increase his or her standard of living through determination, hard work, and natural ability. In the employment sector, this concept was expressed in the belief that a competitive market would weed out talent and in a renewed interest in entrepreneurship. Politically, it took the form of a belief in the superiority of a free democracy, founded on a productive and economic expansion without limits.

The reason it irks me so, is because I am very patriotic. My father and grandfathers fought for this country without question. They believed in the American Way and that it was worth dying for. When the media and other countries view America with disdain and we bow to it rather than giving them the finger, this chips away at what my father and grandfathers fought for. Now, who doesn't get the "big picture"?

Well, that's a pretty cheap copout. If you are going to rename that, you should spend some time putting in a good substitue. "that stuff" just makes it seem like you changed "american way" because you dislike the american way.

Well, I guess its just pretty obvious that some people don't get the big picture. And if one could, please define for me "the American way" and why this phrase being altered seems to be bringing your little world to a screeching halt.

Yeah, nice of you to dance around my questions. Here's the definition:

The American way of life is an expression that refers to the "lifestyle" of people living in the United States. It is an example of a behavioral modality, developed during the 20th century. It refers to an nationalist ethos that purports to adhere to principles of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." It has some connection to the concept of American exceptionalism.

During the time of the Cold War, the expression was commonly used by the media to highlight the differences in living standards of the populations of the United States and Russia. At that time, American popular culture broadly embraced the idea that anyone, regardless of the circumstances of his or her birth, could significantly increase his or her standard of living through determination, hard work, and natural ability. In the employment sector, this concept was expressed in the belief that a competitive market would weed out talent and in a renewed interest in entrepreneurship. Politically, it took the form of a belief in the superiority of a free democracy, founded on a productive and economic expansion without limits.

The reason it irks me so, is because I am very patriotic. My father and grandfathers fought for this country without question. They believed in the American Way and that it was worth dying for. When the media and other countries view America with disdain and we bow to it rather than giving them the finger, this chips away at what my father and grandfathers fought for. Now, who doesn't get the "big picture"?

Well Said!

Superman is the quintessential Superhero. He is as American as apple pie. He came from Krypton, but he was adopted by farmers (the quintessential American occupation), and raised in Kansas (the state that seems to most typifies the expression "Heartland"). This was no accident, especially to the two young Jewish boys (the sons of immigrants) who created the character.

To say that Superman now fights for "the world" is also indicative of his very American character. Americans are always fighting for the liberty of the peoples of other nations. We did it in WW1, WW2, Korea, and (yes) Vietnam. And our soldiers are fighting today to bring democracy to the middle-east (go ahead...start the anti-Bush cliches...it's beside then point).

You can't separate Superman from "the American way of life". Like Americans, Superman is an optimist who fights for a better, brighter future. There's a reason he wasn't created by a Frenchman (he'd be called "Surrender-Man').

Even people who aren't comics fans know that "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" is from Superman. Superman actually transcends comics, and is part of the greater American pop-culture. He's one of the few superheroes whose identity is commonly known to people who aren't comics fans.

In short, the removal of this phrase won't kep me from enjoying the movie. But it was MOST DEFINITELY a cowardly act of PC pandering. Shame on them.

#US1#

NOTHING being discussed on any of the forums on this board right now is "life-altering." That's not the point. There were threads discussing the new costume and people mad that it was too different from the comics and the original movies...how is this issue any different? It still is worthy of discussion, even more so than a discussion of the costume because at least this has "real world" implications for some people (those offended by the removal of a patriotic slogan).

Well, that's a pretty cheap copout. If you are going to rename that, you should spend some time putting in a good substitue. "that stuff" just makes it seem like you changed "american way" because you dislike the american way.

This is the real problem. I would have been irked, regardless, that they changed it. However, if it wasn't such a half-assed attempt at a new slogan I would not be nearly as annoyed.