Superman/Batman Return of Supergirl

• 2 months later...

I am considering getting this just for Darkseid [only problem is the base came out of its plastic pocket area - btw, I'm a non-opener]. My local hobby store has one set left but I don't like the look of the figures. Similar to my feelings of wave 2 of IC. I tend to get any wave with Supergirl but the look is not all that great for me.

kndy

Turner is arguably one of the best artists in comics. The way these figures turned out has nothing to do with him.

Arguably yes, if overly muscular, barrel chested, thin waist men are your thing. Or if if six feet of toothpick errr woman turn you on, then yeah, he's tops. Otherwise he's a hack in my book. His art is exactly the same thing I despise about Liefeld. I'll never understand why people like this persons "work". He can't possibly fade into obscurity quickly enough.

Amen brother.

Turner is arguably one of the best artists in comics. The way these figures turned out has nothing to do with him.

Arguably yes, if overly muscular, barrel chested, thin waist men are your thing. Or if if six feet of toothpick errr woman turn you on, then yeah, he's tops. Otherwise he's a hack in my book. His art is exactly the same thing I despise about Liefeld. I'll never understand why people like this persons "work". He can't possibly fade into obscurity quickly enough.

Amen brother.

I disagree to some point, Liefeld is much much worse, his art isn't even in proporton to itself, and he makes up anatomy. He adds all sorts of muscles that don't exist, and I have a comic where Cable's arms are never the same length or width. Turner just exaggerates his figure, which is what comic art is all about.

The best comic artists are ones who have a uniqe iconic style. Ed Mcguinness has a unique iconic style. His characters are not even close to photographic reality though.

Then who sculpt Darkseid? He really is the only good looking figure in this series.

A very good sculpter named Ray Villafane did Darkseid.

Heres some repaints i reccommend to everyone capable of handeling a brush. simply get some reference material and put comic lines in them with some black paint. a very crisp wash, and repaint supermans eyes, he will look 10 times better...

img3128yz3.jpg

img3129yp8.jpg

oh shaaat

That is amazing detail!!

Heres some repaints i reccommend to everyone capable of handeling a brush. simply get some reference material and put comic lines in them with some black paint. a very crisp wash, and repaint supermans eyes, he will look 10 times better...

img3128yz3.jpg

img3129yp8.jpg

Oh, you're god!! Those are simply amazing!! that is a fantastic job dude! These things would fly off the pegs if DCD did them up like that!! Total kick ass!

the repaints that come in the boxed set with the trade are some what similar to this, just with out all the detail!!

WOuld you do custom work for me ? :P Haha just kidding, no way I can aford you :D

img3128yz3.jpg

img3129yp8.jpg

Hats off, man. That's a 100% improvement... still not gonzo enough about Turner's art ot buy the figures in the first place, but at least now I know that they at least have the potential to look good.

Curiousity- did you try this with the Supergirl? I'm on the fence as to whether it would make her better, or even worse...

Hats off, man. That's a 100% improvement... still not gonzo enough about Turner's art ot buy the figures in the first place, but at least now I know that they at least have the potential to look good.

Curiousity- did you try this with the Supergirl? I'm on the fence as to whether it would make her better, or even worse...

haha, thanks guys!

and nah i didnt do this with supergirl in fear of making her look worse.. lol. she is such a bad sculpt to begin with, its hard to invision her any better with some black detail. i just saw potential in superman.. thought it turned out goood, then i did batman to match! i might do supergirls costume, and repaint her eyes. #US1#

I was really looking forward to the Superman/Batman: Supergirl figures since I am not a fan of McGuiness art based figures but these figures were a huge disappointment. Michael Turner is one of my favorite artists along with a few others so I may buy these figures now and try to fix them or if DC re-releases them like this. I cannot believe how much better these figures look. I am not the best with paint but I wonder if a thin Sharpie would work.