L.A. TNIers... give me some pointers!!!

JoeRhyno

Okay, we got the Car rental already booked, my wife's been looking into hotels, and so far found a cool one in Hollywood that has wonderful reviews, it's not a star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif hotel, I think it used to be old appartments or something, but, all the reviews it got were good, and it's not $200 a night like all the down town L.A. star.gifstar.gif hotels are...

So, I'm just wondering if any local guys can give some input on things to do around there while we're there... we might hit Disney Land , seeing it's only about half an hour south of us.. is there anything we need to know.. avoid or anything like that?

Advice, input.. suggestions.. anything would help.

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

can i stay with you? lol

lol, if it was just me, I wouldn't care... we be homies... but seeing it's me, my wife, maybe my son, my brother(maybe his GF), my cousin, and my friend, and maybe another friend.. well, you see.. it's kinda gonna be a tight squeeze, lol.

by all means if they want to go and meet me then thats cool then we can talk in person like i plan on doing with you

and may be i can meet your wife and your son and say hi to them along with you

i am going with alot of my relatives to so you can meet mine too

no need to be shy

I'll most likely be going to C4, being 501st and all. PM me when it gets closer and I'll give you my cell number so I can give you the 411 on where to find some cool collectible shops and other stuff.

ok joe

are you scared of me? all joking aside

there will be no harm in meeting up with me

i would just want to talk in person thats all

ill contact bluecyclone too and try to meet him as well

its fun to meet other people on this board i am sure

• 4 months later...

ill probably go.....i just need some one to go with me, where'd you get the tickets? and how much?

Got my tickets to...

Well Im not from LA...but I go there quite often...Well to answer your question...LA has alot to offer, but it depends what you and your family are into...Definately I would goto Disneyland, Santa Monica beach, Dodger Stadium (only if the Dodgers are in town and if your a baseball fan), maybe a Laker game (only if I can get cheap playoff tickets)..thats about it...

LA is way too big, too spread apart (you would be driving half the time)...The cool thing is that LA convention hall is close to the things I listed (except Disney) its about 30-60 minutes away..well Santa Monica beach is about 30 minutes away as well...But I love the ocean...

ok well im getting my tickets.

Just a heads up, tomorrow morning(Nov 2), an email will go out to people who registered with a code for all the hotels that are gonna be sold through gencon at a discounted rate... you can only get this email if you registered(unless it's a generic code and is released via the web)... going by the sites FAQ... hotels are gonna start at $107 a room.. but I doubt any "good" rooms will be in that range, we got a room at the Merriot at C3 and it was about a block and a half away and it wa $130 a night.. so I doubt anything like that'll be less that $150 in L.A.

Right now we currently have rooms booked, one in the old Apt thingie in Hollywood.. the other is in the Holiday Inn across form the convention center.. most likely we'll be sticking with the Holiday Inn.. cause it's soo close, and convenient.. with the store being open 24hrs.. and now a lot of the celebration stuff gonna be open to the public 24hrs.. I think it'd be a lot better to stay at the Inn...

We'll see tomorrow, what kind of deals they have.. and go from there.

• 6 months later...

BUMP!

Hey, a friend of mine's going to C4 and I'm trying to locate him some "hobby stores" in the area. We both hail from the distant land of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

He's as a big time collector, like me, and we want him to have access to all sorts of merchandise, not just Star Wars-related stuff.

While I'm not sure about it, I doubt C4 will offer much in this sense besides Star Wars products. Am I wrong?

So, does anyone out there know of any good hobby stores my friend can hit while he's there at LA?

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to DL, plan to get to the parks EARLY--as they fill up. Might even be worth it to actually get a hotel room close to DL, either before or after the Celebration event. You can likely get rooms for under $100 a night within a block of the gates if you want , and at decent hotels too.

On my last trip there, the freeways didn't seem to hairy, getting from place to place was pretty straightforward. If you've got a good map, you can get anywhere.

Make sure you try In&Out.

Ok, let a local Southern Californian give you all the 411.

Disneyland- I have Premiem Annual Passes and go at least 3 times a month, and it hardly ever gets so crowded to where they stop letting people in, that's only happened a few times, besides, people are always coming and going.

Hotels by Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel is the most expensive and during summer rates it's over $350 a night so if you don't have the fundage, rule that out real quick. Most hotels, nice ones, are $150 and up and are right across the street or only a few blocks away. I highly recommend the Hilton, it's just as nice as the Disney Hotel and half the price! Anyways, there are lots to choose from.

Distance from C4 to Disneyland- Ok, Disneyland is in Anaheim and C4 is in the heart of LA, not close at all. If you plan on staying near Disneyland and commuting to C4 than I recommend renting a car, because it would be way too expensive to take a cab.

Collectible Shops- Anaheim is definitely the place. Right down the street from Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland is a whole row of shops. On the corner of Beach Blvd. and Ball Rd. you'll find three great shops:

Got to have it Toys: (714) 995-4151

Phat Collectibles: (714) 484-9080

Kelly's Toys: (714) 828-4577

Across the street from them is a bunch of other shops that I forgot the names of. Any other question feel free to drop me a line. I'll be at C4 on Fri. and Sat.

HEY!

BIG thanks for the info.

So, as I understand it, these hobby stores you listed aren't exactly "close" to C4, as they are located in Anaheim. You seem to be pretty sure about Anaheim being THE place to go for collectibles, but I'll still ask: do you know of any hobby stores closer to C4?

Main reason we're trying to gather info on this is that we doubt there will be much non-SW merchandise in C4, but I could be wrong. Is this the case?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in Southern California, you might as well stop by the Frank and Sons collectibles show that runs twice a week. Well, it's not really close to C4 (probably just a little closer to C4 than the Anaheim shops mentioned), but it's worth driving to, since they have all sorts of stuff.

http://www.fs-collectibles.com/

I usually go on a Wednesday afternoon, but they're open Saturdays also.

PharmV