What G1 gimmick would you like to see revisited?

Devilbat

The new classics line got me to thinking about past G1 toys, and I got to thinking in turn about some of the sub-lines or gimmicks from G1, like the combiners, Headmasters, etc. I personally loved the Twin Changers, or Clones. Y'know, where you'd get two Autobots or two Decepticons, and they looked the same, but they transformed into two different modes. For some reason, I just thought that was the coolest thing when I was a kid, those and triple-changers. I also liked Punch/Counterpunch, the Autobot(?) spy that had two different robot modes. I also really, really liked Headmasters, but looking back I think they're a little silly concept-wise. As toys they're great. (lol) I think what appealed to me concerning them was the fact that here you had these little articulated (mostly) and detailed little driver and pilot figures that could ride around in the Transformer "bodies/vehicles" they came with. I also love Targetmasters, and it seems like I've seen some modern Transformers recently that come with little robots that transform into guns. Am I right in thinking that? Anyway, these are some of the sub-lines that I'd like to see return. What about you all?

Headmasters I think were an awesome concept just with poor execution.

Instead of them being "partners" with an autobot they should have been seperate creations from TF's using only human pilots. At worst, it gives humans more of a reason to be in the middle of the battles and could give the story a little more edge.

If they did that now, the toys could be sooo much cooler. Sure you can say that Sideways was a headmaster but kinda sucked, but he's not a figure you can really go by, that was a bit forced if you ask me.

They CAN make better headmaster pilots/drivers and of course better vehicle/bots, it's incorporating them together and still giving it a natural look that is the challenge, but I think they can do it if they really tried.

The double agent figs (Punch/Counterpunch) is another great idea too. If they have one figure with 2 distinctly different bot modes AND alt modes then it could work. Easier said than done I'm sure.

The clones were kinda neat too. If they could do that again only make the alt modes better then those could be a winner too.

Headmasters, weapon masters were cool but yeah I didn't quite like the 2 entities thing atleast for heamasters. Either humans or cybertronians could be headmasters with non sentient large robot/vehicle bodies. That way humans could interact with full size cybertronians or just the cybertronian could interact with regular humans on a human scale. It actaully makes sense that a large robot would have a smaller body it could use to interact with smaller lifeforms but yet still maintain it's larger form also. It would also be beneficial in case of extreme damage, the smaller unit could escape with the sentience while the larger body was replaced or repaired.

I always thought that a cool reinvention of the tf line would be to have the tfs have their spark within smaller human sized robot. They coud even have holoprojectors to disguise themselves as a human.

I made the exact same thread starting with pretty much the exact same sentence over on thetf.net...spooky!

Well, I'd love to see a revisited Power Master Optimus (Ginrai) and the Headmasters (especially Brainstorm!)

I'm a bigger fan of the Targetmasters, as they were the least cumbersome of the 'Master iterations. Firstly, I'd bring the concept into a larger scope and scale. The 'Master robots would be highly articulated, and have actual transformations. And the range of guns would run the gamut from rifles, to thick and meaty pulse cannons, to duo-con-like bazookas that require two Master figures to create.

The larger robots would have one specific requirement: they'd need to have places for the Master figure to fit in. Cars with driver's seats, jets with opening cockpits, and the like... it doesn't make sense that the original TMs stayed in gun mode when the bigger bots turned into vehicles. What's the point of them transforming then?

I'd also love to see Beast Wars (Season 1) type figures integrated with the G1 vehicle-types. An elephant in scale with a tank, both looking like their real-world counterparts... then both busting out into robot mode, and kicking ass. Oh, it makes my mouth water!

I"m with 3s on this one as well I like diecast :D

Allso...the gimick that gets me is the transforming kind ... :P

I've allways liked, powermasters and target masters as well, pretenders were neat but kinda gimpy... I allso like the current "force chips" though rather pointless are kinda neat... as are minicons ...

I Kind aconsider minicons just naother aproach to the target/power master type thing it was just poorly done toon wise is all...

How about an updated Reflector? (Combiners can be more than just robots merging into bigger robots.)

Armada somewhat tried to use this idea with the mini-cons (the blaster and the sword -- whatever they were called) but, as Synch mentioned, were poorly done in the cartoon.

Headmasters, weapon masters were cool but yeah I didn't quite like the 2 entities thing atleast for heamasters. Either humans or cybertronians could be headmasters with non sentient large robot/vehicle bodies. That way humans could interact with full size cybertronians or just the cybertronian could interact with regular humans on a human scale. It actaully makes sense that a large robot would have a smaller body it could use to interact with smaller lifeforms but yet still maintain it's larger form also. It would also be beneficial in case of extreme damage, the smaller unit could escape with the sentience while the larger body was replaced or repaired.

I always thought that a cool reinvention of the tf line would be to have the tfs have their spark within smaller human sized robot. They coud even have holoprojectors to disguise themselves as a human.

I like that too. that is why I prefer the japanese explaination for the headmasters concept. for those not in the know, in Japan, they have the smaller guys(robots or huimans) as the pilots for the large drone bodies.

The american storyline doesn't really make sense. think about it. Why would a cybertronian robot needs a backseat driver telling them what to do? To clarify, aren't robots more caluclated than organics? I don't see why they need help to aim better if they can do a better job alone.

I wnat headmasters to return, but with a more articulation robo head. Would be neat to get a alt/bt headmaster figure.