WTF?!

synch

http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=99&itemid=8669

"

Dr. Strange will be showing up in Cival War #3.

Though not specifically related to Cival War, Joe made it very clear that he felt that Spider-Man as a character was only at 40%-50% of his potential as a married character and that they could do so much more with him if he was single. However how to go about making him single again is a problem that apprently has kept Joe up many nights tring to solve.

"

@hmmm@ thats just wrong @loll@

I agree with Quesada. It was a bad idea from a creative standpoint to have Spidey get married. Divorce isn't an option either, so I figure killing MJ is the only way out.

That would be the only option, but I don't see why being married is such a big deal when the majority of characters in the Marvel Universe are single

I just limits what you can do storywise. The books were more fun when Spidey was in various love triangles. Makes him seem younger and more interesting. Would you rather read a story about Pete's marital bliss and maybe eventually changing diapers between beating the crap out of Norman Osborn, or would you rather read about him trying to decide whether or not he should nail Black Cat?

God this has happened already!!! Remember 5 years ago? Mj was on an airplane which exploded in mid-air, and MJ was left for dead. After about six months she was not only alive, but rescued by her husband. After which of course MJ and peter were divorced for like another six months! And they want to do it all over again?!?

HELLO????? HISTORY IS REPEATING ITSELF!!!!!

I'll admit that we recieved a lot of great new storylines, but it really slowed things down because peter was constantly thinking about MJ. It was nuts and should not be fiddled with again. And I don't think Quesada should be editor in cheif anymore...his memory loss is becoming too much of a problem.

Joe Quesada is one of the reasons that I'm dropping more and more Marvel titles anymore. Honestly, the man is all about "flash in the pan" style events and "big chances" and not about logical character development.

Breaking up MJ & Peter--- what's next, Uncle Ben isn't dead any more?

True, no split, don't we have enough divorces in world already? lol. I think they should just keep MJ in the background and not mention her if they want. But killing her again or a break up, no way. Pete can still filirt with whomever and still be a decent guy. He doesn't have to talk about MJ in every issue.

no, bad idea splitting them up. Peter and MJ are right now the few remaining stable marriages in Marvel after Reed and Sue. I mean, Morrison, the hack that he is, split up Scott and Jean through death and a pointless adultry angle. Marvel, Wizard, we are happy that our favorite characters are grown up and have familes, do not mess with. Whats next? Marvel decides that it was a mistake to have Nick Fury lose an eye? Cap gets replaced by Patriot? Tony Stark starts drinking again and Ms. Marvel loses he powers to Rouge again? Rouge loses her powers to some cure?(well, that was X-3)

Joe Quesada is one of the reasons that I'm dropping more and more Marvel titles anymore. Honestly, the man is all about "flash in the pan" style events and "big chances" and not about logical character development.

uhm... heh...

heheh...

actaully they just brought another ben into the regular MU from another dimension via some green goblin who is going around killing spidermens from the year 2026 :S

@loll@

I allso am gona go with the don't spit them up croud, IMO its not whos banging who or who isn't banging who its about the writer and if the writer can't make decent storys with a superhero and his wife well then... maybe they should get new writers, theres a thought eh?! EH?! :D

God this has happened already!!! Remember 5 years ago? Mj was on an airplane which exploded in mid-air, and MJ was left for dead. After about six months she was not only alive, but rescued by her husband. After which of course MJ and peter were divorced for like another six months! And they want to do it all over again?!?

I'll admit that we recieved a lot of great new storylines, but it really slowed things down because peter was constantly thinking about MJ. It was nuts and should not be fiddled with again. And I don't think Quesada should be editor in cheif anymore...his memory loss is becoming too much of a problem.

its been doing it since the 60s why should they stop now? Marvels latest fad is retelling of old storys and trying to make them new :P allso if theres any past stuff you don't like to pretend it never happened and make up you're own marvel universe :S I'm actaully finding this quite annoying...

One writer will do this and another that & if they don't like something BAM it never happened :S

Take " the other" sega for example... it seems to have become the latest clonewars because they are suddenly not doing anythign else with it other than giving spidey fancy new duds

I love how their angle is "Well he's married to a supermodel, kids can't identify with that." That's apparently harder to identify with than a guy who was bitten by a radioactive spider and swings through the city on webs. It's rediculous that an industry that thrives on outrageous and impossible situations finds it too hard to believe that Peter Parker can have a hot wife.

I started collecting about two years before the Pete and MJ marriage and was fine with it. Since then there have been numerous times when MJ and Pete haven't been together and the always wind up back with one another and that fine. I can see why writers have a hard time with this and if you can't deal with it then move on to something else. it's not like there aren't book published by Marvel that have a unmarried Peter (the Marvel Age books, Ult. Spidey). I do think that have MJ divorce Peter or Peter divorce MJ is just a bad idea. Not that I'm saying marriages don't work out or that there are some problems that people just can't work through, but have a divorced Peter just would seem wrong. After all Peter is about 26 now and should bea lttile older and wiser.The same would go for MJ dying or disappearing, it would be a cheap cop out. If you can't work with it then don't write about it.

naw, now days people just have 3somes :rolleyes:

hmmm

well it would boost there sales up if anything @loll@

watch what you say!! read synch's post!!

uhm... heh...

heheh...

actaully they just brought another ben into the regular MU from another dimension via some green goblin who is going around killing spidermens from the year 2026 :S

@loll@

I allso am gona go with the don't spit them up croud, IMO its not whos banging who or who isn't banging who its about the writer and if the writer can't make decent storys with a superhero and his wife well then... maybe they should get new writers, theres a thought eh?! EH?! :D

its been doing it since the 60s why should they stop now? Marvels latest fad is retelling of old storys and trying to make them new :P allso if theres any past stuff you don't like to pretend it never happened and make up you're own marvel universe :S I'm actaully finding this quite annoying...

One writer will do this and another that & if they don't like something BAM it never happened :S

Take " the other" sega for example... it seems to have become the latest clonewars because they are suddenly not doing anythign else with it other than giving spidey fancy new duds

but yeah, i think it would be a cool thing if they broke up, it'll make peter seem even more realistic!! and thats what they have been trying to do with spider-man, mix in real life with the super power life!! and splitting them up would be a great idea i think!!

This just goes to show that the ppl in charge at Marvel are NOT in touch with what the public wants.

Splitting Spidey and MJ is lunacy.

Don't split them up!!! Spidey was perfect the way he was. Red and blues, married to a super model. MJ and Pete have split up before and it was a good romance story on how they got back together, but it was the same stupid writer who wrote Gwen Stacey cheating on Peter in the past and having a kid with Norman Osborn (green goblin) WTF?!!! Stupid Marvel owners got it wrong since 2000 when they took Stan Lee off their payroll and put lawsuits on Marvel fansite owners who didn't register their website. Sound like the recent Civil War plot? Blah blah blah, they're even kicking out Toybiz. I'm going off subject. Marvel sucks, but their characters don't. The owners are just so lonely in their sucky misery that they want to ruin the characters too. Sigh.

What they should do is work on MJ more. It's understandable how Peter is not so successful in the real world due to his side job (saving lives), but MJ being hot as she is should land a crazy carreer in movies, etc. She should get rich and popular (more popular than Tony Stark), get a big house and all, and have Peter go along to the movie star parties with her as the token husband and every once in a while have to go off heroically and change into his spidey clothes to save the day. ......... ^_^ I think that's what everybody's been waiting for.

Whats next? Tony Stark starts drinking again and Ms. Marvel loses he powers to Rouge again? Rouge loses her powers to some cure?(well, that was X-3)

No, it's more like Rogue's powers get sucked back into Ms. Marvel, nullifying Carol's powers and making her forget everything that happened after the first time she lost her memory lol.

Then you have two characters with no powers and one with amnesia.

Yeah. Or something... yeah that.

This just goes to show that the ppl in charge at Marvel are NOT in touch with what the public wants.

Splitting Spidey and MJ is lunacy.

You're right. Others feel that way, according to wiki.

I read wiki yesterday and it said that Joe uses MJ as a scapegoat to cover up the bad story telling and the over exposure of Venom and Carnage.

Controversies

According to Stan Lee, Mary Jane was originally intended to be simply a rival for Gwen Stacy for the affections of Peter Parker. Lee had always intended for Gwen Stacy to be Spider-Man's one true love, but fans vocally supported the feisty Mary Jane over the non-offensive Gwen Stacy. The pairing of Mary Jane and Peter Parker has become one of the true classic romances of the comic medium and the couple are considered to be one of the comic genre's most beloved "super-couples".

However, many professional writers, artists, and editors at Marvel dislike the pairing and the Mary Jane character. They feel that Mary Jane, being an attractive female figure, should never be attracted to Spider-Man and often consider her relationship and marriage to Peter to be highly unrealistic. Many of these critics include Alex Ross, former Editor-In-Chief Bob Harras, and current Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada.

Fans (or shippers) of the Mary Jane/Peter Parker relationship often are very vocal about criticism about the relationship, especially online. Besides pointing out the natural way in which the Peter/Mary Jane relationship evolved as a natural and realistic relationship, many comic fans eagerly point out that people like Bob Harras and Joe Quesada have a tendency to use Mary Jane as a "scapegoat" for problems with the Spider-Man franchise, rather than admitting to real problems like bad writing and over-exposure of certain characters like Venom and Carnage as the reason why sales are down. To many fans of the character, the portrayal of Mary Jane by top members of Marvel's editorial staff as an "Emmanuel Goldstein"-type figure has been used as a major example of how out of touch many Marvel editors are with the people reading their comics.

They have tried divorce and death before, but that upset the fans. So they are tryin another way to get rid of MJ.

Even Kevin Smith is against it and knows it will cause a disruption within the comic community

Restarting her career as a model, Mary Jane was killed off in an airplane explosion that was done specifically to kill the character off for good and permanently free Spider-Man from being married.

Fan reaction to these storylines was overwhelmingly negative, and the backlash after Mary Jane's death sent the Spider-Man books into a horrific downward spiral. Ultimately, Mary Jane was brought back, having been revealed to have been held captive by a super-powered stalker. However, the return was short-lived as Marvel's editors spited fans by having Mary Jane promptly leave her husband after being rescued. New editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, who had given the call to bring the character back, promised that Mary Jane would return by the 50th issue of Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2. Quesada further fanned the flames by proclaiming his support for the ending of Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane by any means necessary and even asked popular writer/director Kevin Smith to write a story in which Peter and Mary Jane would divorce. But Smith, stinging from a backlash from Spider-Man fans who were angry at the way he casually killed off Spider-Man villain Mysterio while the character was being used in the Spider-Man books at the time, turned down Quesada's request to write a story that would no doubt permanently harm his standing in the comic fandom.

They also claimed that MJ's relationship w/ Spidey isn't realistic? How is it not? Not all super models are married to jocks, celebrities, and playboys. That seems unrealistic to me. I don't see her being married to a nerd is fake. I think it is the opposite from what I've read an online article on Maxim or Stuff. It said that there is a misconception that average joes do not asks super models out because of worthiness. From a super model's perceptive, it is a misconception and that models are like anyone else and that they hate the fact that normal people are afraid to ask them out.

Furthermore, isn't Superman married? I don't see Lois putting a strain on comic sales for Superman.

My bet is that they would probably use the parallel world route to remove Mj. They easily send her to limbo (Like they did in the cartoon.)

That or just have MJ fall in love with Peter Parker from the alternate reality world where Uncle Ben is alive. I can see it as an exchange where MJ decides to live in the alt world and be with Peter, who isn't a superhero, but an entertainer. This way, she could stop worryin about him gettin in trouble.

Heck, if they want, they can undo Gwen's death by having the alternate reality version over.

I think having Uncle Ben alive defeats the purpose of Spiderman's decision to go superhero. If he is alive, wouldn't spiderman have a lesser urge to do justice? As someone said on a similar topic in the comic section, it is like DC bringing back Batman's parents from teh grave.

no offence to you but there are plenty of good looking woman out there and mj is no different :P

I personally don't see MJ(when drawn in her iconic look as seen in the early comics and the 90's tas cartoon) as hot. More like average. But hey, if it floats Peter's boat, he should be with her

I have a feeling they are goin to bring back Gwen.