Was Anyone Else Disappointed with X-Men 3?

DarthJoe

I watched it and loved it. I do understand where you are coming from but that was what people tend to get upset with on first movies of superhero films...character development. Many people want action right off the bat and with the first movie, although the first week did great, it plummeted the second week in sales. But I can understand where you are coming from.

If I had one gripe...there was no reason to have Psylocke die like that...and also have her barely in the movie.

But really my only gripe are the babies crying and cel phones going off. That stuff ruins my movie experience easily. That is why I spend so much on my home theater to get away from that crap.

kndy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Nightcrawler. They did such an awesome job on the devolopment of him in X2, I can't believe they made no attempt to give him even a small part in X3.

Actually he was in the movie for about 2 seconds. He was climbing around the ceiling of the church the mutants were having their little meeting in right before Magneto came in.

No Nightcrawler. They did such an awesome job on the devolopment of him in X2, I can't believe they made no attempt to give him even a small part in X3.

Actually he was in the movie for about 2 seconds. He was climbing around the ceiling of the church the mutants were having their little meeting in right before Magneto came in.

Was that him??? I thought it was Toad for some reason...

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Best Line "Do you know who I am? Im the Juggernaut B!tch!" Half the theater roared with laughter. @loll@

That has more to do with the room being full of geeks than the line actually being funny :)

This could have easily been two movies. One movie having to do with the "cure" and another for Dark Pheonix. Think of how much more unrushed everything would have been.

I felt like instead of feeling rushed, it was well edited. This is really what I wanted from the first two.. something that moved fast and didn't hold our hand through everything.

it wasnt crawler...garaunteed...it was suppost to be toad

Vince Murdocco .... Omega Red (uncredited)

Clayton Dean Watmough .... Glob Herman (as Clayton Watmough)

Lloyd Adams .... Lizard Man

Lance Gibson .... Spike

Omahyra .... Arclight

Ken Leung .... Kid Omega

Kea Wong .... Jubilation Lee/Jubilee

Connor Widdows .... Jones

Bryce Hodgson .... Artie

Luke Pohl .... Flea

Shauna Kain .... Theresa Rourke Cassidy/Siryn

I didn't spot Jubilee.

One thing that really bothered me (and this may just be the film maker in me being picky), but when Magento crashes the bridge on to the island it's daylight out and when they step onto the island, it's night time. Very poor continuity there.

I noticed that amd it kind of bothered me too. It does take you out of the movie a bit. One minute it's bright and sunny, then next it's midnight.

jubilee was in there during the picard/lecture scene

oh yeah! thanks for reminding me! they even have still photos of that online! I kept on picturing jubilee using her powers like in the deleted scene from X2, so I thought she was somewhere else in the movie.

Saw it last night. Went in with very low expectations. Was sure I was going to hate it. But... I didn't hate it.

Basically, it's the classic summer-action-"popcorn movie": paper thin characters, dick jokes, lots of explosions, and the good guys win. It was a fun movie. I was never bored and was completely entertained. It exceeded my expectations by miles.

I have the same gripes with it most of you do, but I know Hollywood is never going to give us the X-Men movie we want. Considering the conditions under which this movie was made, it could have been a LOT worse.

I read a while back on aintitcool.com that the guy who played Juggs signed on for X-Men 3, 4, and 5. We shall see...

Saw it last night. Went in with very low expectations. Was sure I was going to hate it. But... I didn't hate it.

Basically, it's the classic summer-action-"popcorn movie": paper thin characters, dick jokes, lots of explosions, and the good guys win. It was a fun movie. I was never bored and was completely entertained. It exceeded my expectations by miles.

I have the same gripes with it most of you do, but I know Hollywood is never going to give us the X-Men movie we want. Considering the conditions under which this movie was made, it could have been a LOT worse.

I read a while back on aintitcool.com that the guy who played Juggs signed on for X-Men 3, 4, and 5. We shall see...

awesome, JUGGERNAUT was the best, as was Kitty Pryde.. My two favorite characters other than Beast in this movie.

Storm was probably next

People really did give Ratner a bad rap before the move came out.. They came up with rumors he was sticking Stacy X in for example..

Well, I saw it...

In all honesty, I went to see it to see the Ghost Rider trailer on the big screen.

Movie wise. Meh. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. And, I'll get it on DVD.

Really, it felt mostly like they took fans wishes from the first two movies and turned them into a movie; mostly in terms of "omg wouldn't it have been awesome if..."

In the end, the trailers for Ghost Rider and My Super Ex-Girlfriend validated the cost of the ticket.

pretty sure it was him, looked like it was blue skin and the same funky striped pants as he wore in the second one. In fact I thought it was the same church he hide out in the 2nd movie. I doubt it was the actual actor that played him in the 2nd movie though.

whoisit.jpg

I'm not sure who it is, looks more like Toad though. I was pretty sure he was fried but who knows.

also did any notice that they seemed to have forgotten in this movie that Pyro can't create fire, only control existing flames. In X2 he carried his liter around, in the comic he has the flame thrower he wears, but in this movie it seemed like he was just creating fire.

thats Anole, or lizard man or someone above, not toad.

hmmm i definatly wasnt dissapointed... very impressive..... especially from all the bad stuff ive heard..

also did any notice that they seemed to have forgotten in this movie that Pyro can't create fire, only control existing flames. In X2 he carried his liter around, in the comic he has the flame thrower he wears, but in this movie it seemed like he was just creating fire.

well i guess you didnt notice his device for sparking fire....

pyro1.jpg

He had a device attached to his wrist under his sleeve, you could even see the blue flame/gas effect, it was pretty good. Just like the comics except you couldn't see the big gas tank on his back or wherever it was

after watching X2 again I think what bothers me the most with X3 is the way the phoenix thing was handled. Go watch the end of X2 and tell me how thats how you invisioned the way X3 played out was really what you expected. Basically the whole bit about were Prof X is telling Logan and Scott about how Jean was hesitant about her powers was a big fat lie. Again in part I know this was due to director changes in all but still. I dont know if the first 2 were more like the comic or the 3rd, but what I do know is I got invested in the 1st two movies and wanted this 3rd one to continue on what the first two started instead of just going on its own way. IMO they should have just left Jean dead for now and focused the story on just the mutant cure thing. The Phoenix saga should be a story unto itself and if the actor who played Scott wasn't able to do shooting for the whole movie they should have just done the scene were Scott tells Logan we all don't heal as quickly as you do and then have Scott go off and do some soul searching or something and leave him out of the rest of this movie, instead of being killed in such a cheesey fashion. If they had cut out the Jean stuff then they could have taken the time to focus on developing the other characters like Angel, Beast, Iceman, Colossus, and Shodowcat.

Then if they did an X4 they could do the Phoenix thing, maybe have Scott encounter Sinster while he was soul searching who tells him he can save Jean and make a story from that.

Anyway thats my 2 cents and im done with my bitching.

The whole problem as I see it is that Ratner (and Singer too for that matter) is like the Anti-Claremont.

Chris Claremont is the penultimate X-Men writer (whatever he did after coming back to the franchise notwithstanding. I haven't read any of that and I'm sure he was just trying to redeem whatever crap storylines were going on in his absence or something) and it's like the people who come after him try to take what he did, totally break it down into nothingness and then reconstruct it in THEIR image.

What you end up with is something that's like the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla.

X-Men In Name Only or X-MINO.

And I am not oblivious to the fact that a lot of what Claremont wrote was by neccessity based on what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created. I realize these directors are shaming what they did almost even moreso than Claremont.

That said, I view the movies sort of like Ultimate X-Men. An alternate reality that is interesting from a novelty standpoint but not much more than that. I thought the movie was so-so from a movie-goers standpoint too.

I think it's funny that in other threads some people are saying stuff like "if you didn't like this movie, you don't like comics" and "you don't like how they changed the story, well too bad". As if it's not my right to dislike what I don't like. That's the kind of thing a ##$%$#ed 5 year-old says.

I own about 4,000 comics and over a thousand SF&F novels, and have watched probably a few hundred movies in my 33 years. This movie fails badly on almost every level I can think of. Even if Ratner was a die-hard Claremont fan he would have had to break this into THREE movies to really do X-Men justice.

The whole problem as I see it is that Ratner (and Singer too for that matter) is like the Anti-Claremont.

Chris Claremont is the penultimate X-Men writer (whatever he did after coming back to the franchise notwithstanding. I haven't read any of that and I'm sure he was just trying to redeem whatever crap storylines were going on in his absence or something) and it's like the people who come after him try to take what he did, totally break it down into nothingness and then reconstruct it in THEIR image.

What you end up with is something that's like the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla.

X-Men In Name Only or X-MINO.

And I am not oblivious to the fact that a lot of what Claremont wrote was by neccessity based on what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created. I realize these directors are shaming what they did almost even moreso than Claremont.

That said, I view the movies sort of like Ultimate X-Men. An alternate reality that is interesting from a novelty standpoint but not much more than that. I thought the movie was so-so from a movie-goers standpoint too.

I think it's funny that in other threads some people are saying stuff like "if you didn't like this movie, you don't like comics" and "you don't like how they changed the story, well too bad". As if it's not my right to dislike what I don't like. That's the kind of thing a ##$%$#ed 5 year-old says.

I own about 4,000 comics and over a thousand SF&F novels, and have watched probably a few hundred movies in my 33 years. This movie fails badly on almost every level I can think of. Even if Ratner was a die-hard Claremont fan he would have had to break this into THREE movies to really do X-Men justice.

Totally with you on that. I think some of the 14 year olds don't understand

you know the more I think about this the more I think how they could really easily do something like say that this in fact wasn't Jean at all in this movie but Madalyn Pryor and that Scott was taken prisonor by Sinister and Apoc along with Jean if they decided to do and X4.