Was Anyone Else Disappointed with X-Men 3?

DarthJoe

Don't get me wrong, I found it entertaining, but about an hour into it, I just felt like the movie hadn't gone anywhere or really shown much.

Some of the things that REALLY bugged me:

- VERY little character development except for Magneto, and once again, Wolverine. As far as the movie is concerned, Juggernaut is big and strong, Beast is a mutant politician, Kitty is a little girl who can run through walls and has a crush on Bobby, Rogue feels sorry for herself, Colossus can turn to metal (did he even have any lines in the movie...I don't remember him talking), Angel is a rich kid with wings...well, you get the point. They tried introducing so many characters that you get to know none of them in the movie, and don't learn anything new about any of the characters that were developed in the previous movies.

- The Phoenix plot didn't explain much, and felt like it was too rushed. The whole thing was handled rather poorly, except for the special effects. I was also hoping that in her introduction, it would show her flying up out of the water and talking in a BOOMING voice like the comics...sadly, it didn't happen.

- Rogue giving up her mutant powers, and actually being rather useless for the whole series now that it has come full circle.

- The continuation of the Rogue/Iceman infactuation, and the addition of Kitty Pride turning it into a love triangle.

- Bobby never going into full ice form except for about 5 seconds at the end. We never get to see him riding ice or anything cool. Wow...he can shoot ice out of his hands. :rolleyes:

- Juggernaut is a mutant in the movie.

- No Nightcrawler. They did such an awesome job on the devolopment of him in X2, I can't believe they made no attempt to give him even a small part in X3.

- No Gambit. Heck, they tried to cram so many new characters into this movie, why shouldn't I be able to complain about my favorite character not getting a rushed presence in it as well?

- Jamie Madrox is a bad guy.

- The action scenes, except for the end, were rather dull, and mostly featured Wolverine (big surprise).

Really, someone could've told me that the plot of the movie is a "cure" had been found for mutants, let me watch the last fifteen minutes of the movie (which was the only really cool part IMO), and I wouldn't have missed much, and would have walked away knowing just as much about the movie versions of these characters as someone who knows nothing about the X-Men.

I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go see it, as I did enjoy it, but just felt really let down. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Some of the things I enjoyed:

- The special effects were awesome.

- Beast kicking ass at the end of the movie.

- Every scene with Magneto. This is the one character that they really did justice to.

- The battle at the end of the movie.

- Cyclops dies. @lol@

Actually, I can't really think of anything much more worth talking about, and have felt more excited about cut scenes and story lines in X-Men video games than what was presented in this movie. :(

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I liked the film although it didn't live up

to all the hype. It was alot better than X-Men.

The things that bothered me was the timing. To much was

crammed in and the film was far to short for this.

Many Characters are under used such as Angel-who I thought was the focus character based

off the previews, yet he only has 3 scenes and a few lines.

Colossus-Had one line, zero characterization. With both him and Juggernaut being in the same film one would think the producer would have these two powerhouses fight it out, instead Juggernaut gets a scene with Kitty Pryde. :rolleyes:

The fact that one of the on going sub-plots is Iceman's relationship with Rogue that has been seen in 2 films yet other important plot elements are virtually ignored.

Xavier's and Cyclops pointless death at the hands of Phoenix with Jean showing little to no remorse for her actions, she never reflects on what she has done, why she even sides with Magneto. I can't really call this a good Phoenix story arc, and it would require either a longer film or another film to really do it justice. When Professor X tells Jean to not let her powers control her, this get abandoned.

The fact that Cyclops role is pretty much given to Wolverine all because they killed off Cyclops rather than have him atleast get a heroic death, but instead the field leader of the X-Men is killed in a rather weak manner. The other team members don't seem to even give a damn.

Many mutants are introduced with no reason whatsoever. many mutants are given a mixture of powers rather than their own.

Other than these problems, I enjoyed the film.

Story wise = dull

Action and Effects = great

The whole Phoenix story line was wasted away in this movie. They shouldn't even have included it. I was more intrigued with the "cure" story line than the "hey I woke from dark side, killed my lover, mentor, join the bad guys for lord knows what reason just to get offed in the end".

I was a little disappointed but overall thought it was good for what it had to offer. Like I said in my other post...

Better than X1 not as good as X2

I have to agree with everything that was stated above. Better then X-Men but nowhere near as good as X2. I enjoyed it, however it did seem very rushed and characters that they are trying to make important in the movie (Angel, Kitty, Juggernaut) are very underused.

One thing that really bothered me (and this may just be the film maker in me being picky), but when Magento crashes the bridge on to the island it's daylight out and when they step onto the island, it's night time. Very poor continuity there.

There should have been more with the Sentinel as well. That scene gave me goosebumps and that was about the last time in the entire movie it happened and unfortunatly, it was in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

The main thing that disappointed me:

COMPLETE lack of respect for Cyclops. Not just in X3 but the whole series! First movie: Wolverine comes, moves in on his girl, Cyclops plays second banana the whole time. Second movie: Unconcious for most of it. Third movie: Killed 1/2 hour into it. He's the FIRST X Man, guys!!!! It's so easy to make him a whiny punk, but he CAN be interesting and cool if you try!

Rogue. I was expecting her to come in and save the day at the end, suck up Pheonix's power or something. I was disappointed that she actually went through with the cure. Makes her seem not as strong.

Bobby/ Kitty thing: Didn't really need it, I don't think.

Magneto was a BADASS! Good job there.

Beast: Perfect, all the way.

Storm: Despite my not-so fondness of Hale Berry, her bigger role worked and made sense.

Despite the things I didn't like about it, I WANT there to be an X4!!!!!

Story wise = dull

Action and Effects = great

The whole Phoenix story line was wasted away in this movie. They shouldn't even have included it. I was more intrigued with the "cure" story line than the "hey I woke from dark side, killed my lover, mentor, join the bad guys for lord knows what reason just to get offed in the end".

I was a little disappointed but overall thought it was good for what it had to offer. Like I said in my other post...

Better than X1 not as good as X2

I mostly agree with all of your comments! I do feel like this is the first time a director has said O.K. let's see what these mutants can do ! (in regards to effect and powers). I really felt like Ratner gave the comic fans something to cheer for! Fight scenes were fun but not over the top...

To me the story wasn't perfect, parts were rushed or under-developed, but I felt it works for this franchise, but not the X-fan...

Over all I give it a pretty solid thumbs up or a B ++. How many 3rd installments of a franchise can you say that for these days!

It gets a B minus with a STRONG

I can say it! I TOLD YOU SO!! Most off what i was expecting i was right about (didn't fit in with the other two, acting seemed bad, characters underdeveloped etc).

Overall. I enjoyed the hell out of parts but overall it just falls flat.

It's not as good as X1 and frankly i'm surprised people are saying it is better.

It's just rushed. It needed about an extra 45 mins to make all the characters really shine and then it would have seemed complete. All of these points were alreayd covered but i'll state them agian...

1) Phoenix needed development concidering she was the central plot point. She needed to have more lines. Show remorse for what happened to Scott and Xavier, conflict with herself etc.

2) Respect ckye. Indeed. I hated how he just dissapeared and thats it.

3) Angel was compleatly useless, and Colossus needed more development.

4) Rogue was terribly dissapointing, she also became pointless.

5) How prof X just dies, so anticlimatic. His death should have seemed like a bigger deal than just holding a funeral for him. Afterall, look what happened when he died in the comics!

theres more but i'm too lazy to #$## right now

though this movie was good. it felt like a suped up fantastic four to me. there was sooo much promise, i enjoyed the movie, but i was still let down. though i will still buy the dvd. i just hoenstly wish i had another 1 or so in the movie, or a new installment to look forward to next year like lord of the rings. oh well

While the story was weak it rated a good solid 10 just for the geek factor.Kelsey Grammer was great as Beast.He even got to say his classic "My stars and garters line".At last we got the Danger Room.Ellen Paige was perfect as Kitty.While I still hate the movie helmet Vinnie Jones was great as Juggernaut.Dania Ramerez was hot as Callisto.

Maybe it's just me...but X-Men 1 was SEVERELY underrated. It showcased everyone, told through the eyes of the popular one, everything was done perfectly to me. The only downside to the first one was the poor Sabretooth and the black leather.

X2, much more fun a movie, but I don't think it was better than the first one after I watched the first one over. You give the first one the budget of the second one and you're gonna have a fantastic movie, bar none. X2 was good for what it was, and for the longest time was my favorite comic movie period.

X-Men: The Last Stand was, to me, taking every bit of character development and putting in its stead pretty colors. Taking Cyclops out disgracefully, undercutting the rest of the team for the sake of Wolverine and Storm, and showing absolutely no real regard for the villains, aside from Magneto and to a lesser extent Pyro. Yes, I was overall disappointed with it. It was still a fun movie to watch. Nowhere, and I repeat NOWHERE near perfect.

Plusses:

Pyro/Iceman scene in the crowd. For some reason I really, really, fell in love with these two from here on, whereas before I was faced with apathy towards them.

Beast was done to perfection, agreed. I was against Kelsey Grammar, but now I know nobody else would be able to play that role.

Storm was, honestly, great. Halle Berry did a good job with what she had and while...no, she's not a motherly character as I envisioned Storm being, she is a leader to the X-Men and I can identify and enjoy that.

Magneto was done to perfection. I wouldn't be able to see Magneto done any other way. Sir Ian McKellan is amazing in this role and nobody else could give Magneto that level of intensity, villainy, charm, and care that he did. I hope if we see more X movies, that he has a role.

Xavier was done greatly. They finally gave him a darker, more strict side. I loved that. His death was also very well done, IMO. I hated the ending scene, but whatever.

What little I saw of Cyclops? Absolutely loved. Marsden did a superb job with what little we got to see.

Minuses:

I need to preface this with "I am a Cyclops fan".

Cyclops having nothing else to do but die was something I had to get used to. However, seeing him die only to not see him die...and then see him all but forgotten (oddly enough, I can only remember Wolverine of all people mentioning him after his death) for the rest of the movie perturbed me. I don't care the extenuating circumstances surrounding this, he didn't need to die whatsoever. If they bring him back, fine and good...but I am a firm believer of if you're dead and they bring you back, it better be a fantastic hook and logical reason as to why.

Mystique getting the poor treatment she got. She got cured and then turned "federal", so to speak, by ratting Magneto out? C'mon now. Don't waste my time. Furthermore, how would she know where they'd be? Did they pick that section of woods before this movie to meet...because she was captured from the get go. No speculation here, please, or anywhere...if they don't explain it in the movie, I'm not going to connect the dots myself for them.

Jean Grey was done well by Famke, but again...the plot holes and subsequent removal of logic (suddenly on Magneto's side with but a phrase from Magneto? C'mon) did her in for me. She shoulda been a loose cannon. Otherwise, she was just going to stand there...like she did already in this film.

If you're going to have a team, that whole team needs to be there and matter. Did anybody care about Colossus besides him being Colossus? No. He carried a TV, threw Wolverine, and told Iceman Rogue left the mansion. Wow. They did fine with Kitty...but kinda threw together a strange pseudo love triangle that never took off and was never really resolved.

"I'm the Juggernaut, B*****". We get it. Vinnie Jones was good as Juggs, but why bother putting the line in if the guy can't deliver the line? One thing I can't stand about movies is where a director/screenwriter or whoever says "This line has to be in because this script is law". It's just me probably, but a majority of the lines in the film were soooo forced that things came off forced in the end. Sorry, but I've taken waaaay too many film studies courses and worked on waaaay too many plays with people and written waaaay too much to not nitpick that sort of thing. It can make or break any film, guaranteed.

And lastly...Madrox, the Multiple Man. He was great...but really "I could use a man of your talents" and then "I'm in" and that's all you get for him joining Magneto? Man...c'mon.

The plusses and minuses, overall, even out for me. I can take the film or leave it. That, to me, is disappointing...because I wanted the movie to matter to me. I came away from it not caring as much as I did when I left X2. Oh well. Ratner was a good director, I applaud his vision and the way the movie was filmed (aside from the continuity errors such as the day/night goof), but I hope if he does another one (despite saying this is it) he'll have the time to properly develop it...and give the movie more than an hour and a half.

Everybody seems up it arms with Jamie as a bad guy, but not a word about Psylocke. Did anyone even realize Psylocke was in the movie as well?

As for "the last stand," yeah, right. If this makes money, and it probably will despite the so-so reviews, there will be a 4. I think a sympathetic nod the the Gambit fans (which I am one) could have been tossed in. Maybe at the end, have Rogue leaving the mansion, and someone asking her where she was headed. "I don't know, I've always wanted to visit New Orleans, maybe it's time to take a trip down."

As for future movies, the list is endless. We know a Wolverine is coming, and it would be great to see Sabertooth back in that one. I know Avi Arad has mentioned a possible Rogue movie (maybe not with Anna P.), which, when you think about it, has a lot of potential. Gambit. Ms. Marvel. Maybe toss in Sinister there. Future X-movie villians? The list could go on for pages, but some of the more popular ones, like Apocolypse, shoot straight to the top.

Finally, a 'let's give credit where credit is due' finish. The actors have done a great job making a number of these characters come to life. Jackman as Wolverine. McKellen as Magneto. Stewart as Xavier. Berry as Storm. Grammer as Beast. You guys (and gal) all did a fantastic job.

If I was not a big comic book fan, and read almost every main stream x-men comic I would have loved it. I think the movie had great potential and I enjoyed it from a "What If?" perspective.

Stuff I liked:

1. Kitty Pryde- I loved her character and the actress that played her...hope she is in the next one if they make it.
  2. Beast- I thought Kelsey Grammer was a odd choice but thought he did a great job... another I would like to see again
  3. Ice Man- This will also be on my not so great list because he only ice upped for like 5 secs... but those 5 secs were great
  4. Special effects- the fight scenes and make up and everything was great
  5. Danger Room w/Sentinel- so great would have loved to see more but just that was excellent

Stuff that dissapointed me:

1. The story in general- it just seemed so rushed and they never really completed any idea before moving to the next
  2. Cyclops- I am not the biggest fan, but come on that was pathetic what they did to him
  3. Juggs- He is a mutant now and not the 1/2 brother of Prof-X big big big dissapointment
  4. Ice Man- Such potential should have been iced much longer it was great
  5. colossus- another great character with little on air time... i want more
  6. Nightcrawler- why was he cut out come on he was great
  7. Psyloche- what a waste of a character again if that was all you were going to do with her leave her out... she was never a morlock
  8. Maddrox- Bad guy hated it
  9. Rouge- gave up her powers I can understand it but i was hoping she would finally developed her powers instead and siphoned ms. marvel flight and strength in a back story or eluded to it or something... again wasted her character

I will go see the movie a couple times more to give support to have another one made... and i would reccomend it to anybody who likes comic movies or action in general... but also warn them don't expect a direct from comic story... but it is based around it.

I'm agreeing with the majority of you guys in that I was alittle disappointed in x3, but still thought it was a fun film. Most of the points you raised a I agree with as well - weaker plot development, the Cyclops push, the wolverine fest etc, so no need to elaborate on them.

No way will this be the end of the film franchise, there's too much money still left in it. A fourth one will surely be made, maybe to tie up some of the loose ends and give the rest of the fan population abit of closure from this one.

While some things disappointed me, I could still understand why they couldn't go into some things.

The movie was tight. As in short. It had a LOT going on, as you guys said, a lot of stories at once, and I think that they did the best they could with each story.

The Kitty character was the biggest satisfying surprise for me. Page really rocked the character, and Kitty was a necessary catalyst with Bobby in order to send Rogue over the edge and take the cure. The "robbed" part of the story is that we never got to see Rogue have her moment where she learned to value herself for being a mutant and have a role in the final battle. Rogue's character was compromised by accepting the cure, regardless of how long the cure will actually last. THAT was a disappointment.

I thought Kitty had the most development, oddly enough. We learned about her isolation (away from her family and hometown, missing the "first snow", liking to ice skate), loneliness (telling Bobby "You have Rogue, I have no one"), ambition (that's what I got out of her standing before the gravestones for Cyclops and Jean at the end of the movie). While someone else mentioned that we were robbed of a Juggernaut/Colossus battle, I actually think it was BETTER that we got the Kitty/Juggernaut sequence. When I saw her take on Juggernaut it showed IMMENSE bravery in the face of seemingly unbeatable odds. She was TINY and he was a bulldozer. Plus she was saving Leech, who would cancel out her powers and she STILL defeated Juggernaut with her brains. She's quite the little scrapper, that Kitty. Freaking LOVED her. Page really kicked ass in the role, I just fell in love with her. I think if the movie were longer, they could have delved more into a Kitty/Rogue friendship or rivalry and explore the conflict in Kitty being a bit of a homewrecker, or Bobby finally growing some balls and telling Rogue to get over herself and just DEAL WITH IT that she's a mutant and it's what she's meant to be. Bobby was nothing but a passive enabler to Rogue's insecurities, and that disappointed me. Rogue was the letdown here, in general.

I liked the Phoenix story, and I think Famke did amazingly well back and forth between her dual personalities. It was intense in the lab scenes where she was wrapping her legs around Logan one minute, and then begging him not to let her kill anyone else when she realized the weight of what she'd done to Scott. She was downright SCARY and I loved it. Every second of it. I saw her as a good wild card, they got that across when she nearly stuck the cure needles into Magneto in the woods, and they didn't need to beat us over the head with the fact that she was unpredictable. I got that much.

People are upset that they didn't do the Juggernaut backstory with the professor, but was it really necessary? Xavier's focus was primarily Jean and to go away from that to explain something about Juggernaut being a bullying stepbrother as a kid and then going into the Ruby of Cyttorak and all that mess.... it's easier and more succinct just to make him a mutant and be done with it. Things need to be changed to make it a cleaner film, with less tangential offshoots and a clear vision. I had no problem with Juggernaut and really enjoyed his characterization.

Totally agree that Cyclops has gotten the shaft since the first movie.

Well, it was because of threads like this that made me really like X3 so much, that it may even be at the top of my list as far as the X films go. I know there wasn't really any character developement, or even a deep plot, but I think it entertained me the most out of all 3. The second one was extremely good, but dragged on a bit for me. It had awesome action and the story was cool, but after about an hour and a half I started getting butt cramps and not caring. :P

So yeah, I like this movie the most, despite all the things folks have pointed out that indeed could have been done better.

after reading what you guys have had to say, its my turn...:P

first off..i dont think anyone noticed Multiple Mans Jacket...it was an Xman Jacket, which i thgouth was a nice nod

second..nightcrawler wasnt in it cause alan cummings didnt WANT to be in the movie. not to mention i felt his character sucked and was a wuss, so i didnt miss him

everything felt rushed true...BUT it was for good reason...the fans have been wanting to see so much done in the movie, that its not logical! if we all got our way the movie would be 8 hours long. i think the nods here and htere were great..like full on iced iceman, teh danger room having a sentinel, etc.

personally i loved how this movie turned out why? because it did resolve things! its not a comic book that might go on forever, its a movie, things work differently with comics and movies. plus i felt that they left things open just incase they make a 4th. i mean the last scene we see magneto move a chess piece which can easily translate into the cure isnt as permenant as they though..meaning rogue might get her powers back

also if you stayed past the credits, you would all know that xavier isnt dead

Everybody seems up it arms with Jamie as a bad guy, but not a word about Psylocke. Did anyone even realize Psylocke was in the movie as well?

Most people probably didn't. They never called her Psylocke and she never used any of Psylockes powers. So apart from being Asian (which the original Psylocke wasn't) she really wasn't Psylocke.

Don't get me wrong, I found it entertaining, but about an hour into it, I just felt like the movie hadn't gone anywhere or really shown much.

Some of the things that REALLY bugged me:

- VERY little character development except for Magneto, and once again, Wolverine. As far as the movie is concerned, Juggernaut is big and strong, Beast is a mutant politician, Kitty is a little girl who can run through walls and has a crush on Bobby, Rogue feels sorry for herself, Colossus can turn to metal (did he even have any lines in the movie...I don't remember him talking), Angel is a rich kid with wings...well, you get the point. They tried introducing so many characters that you get to know none of them in the movie, and don't learn anything new about any of the characters that were developed in the previous movies.

- The Phoenix plot didn't explain much, and felt like it was too rushed. The whole thing was handled rather poorly, except for the special effects. I was also hoping that in her introduction, it would show her flying up out of the water and talking in a BOOMING voice like the comics...sadly, it didn't happen.

- Rogue giving up her mutant powers, and actually being rather useless for the whole series now that it has come full circle.

- The continuation of the Rogue/Iceman infactuation, and the addition of Kitty Pride turning it into a love triangle.

- Bobby never going into full ice form except for about 5 seconds at the end. We never get to see him riding ice or anything cool. Wow...he can shoot ice out of his hands. :rolleyes:

- Juggernaut is a mutant in the movie.

- No Nightcrawler. They did such an awesome job on the devolopment of him in X2, I can't believe they made no attempt to give him even a small part in X3.

- No Gambit. Heck, they tried to cram so many new characters into this movie, why shouldn't I be able to complain about my favorite character not getting a rushed presence in it as well?

- Jamie Madrox is a bad guy.

- The action scenes, except for the end, were rather dull, and mostly featured Wolverine (big surprise).

Really, someone could've told me that the plot of the movie is a "cure" had been found for mutants, let me watch the last fifteen minutes of the movie (which was the only really cool part IMO), and I wouldn't have missed much, and would have walked away knowing just as much about the movie versions of these characters as someone who knows nothing about the X-Men.

I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go see it, as I did enjoy it, but just felt really let down. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Some of the things I enjoyed:

- The special effects were awesome.

- Beast kicking ass at the end of the movie.

- Every scene with Magneto. This is the one character that they really did justice to.

- The battle at the end of the movie.

- Cyclops dies. @lol@

Actually, I can't really think of anything much more worth talking about, and have felt more excited about cut scenes and story lines in X-Men video games than what was presented in this movie. :(

YES!!! as I quote,

Ok , Finally after wainting for months for X-3 to come out I finally saw it this mourning. First the special effects and battles were perfect. On the downside the story line was so, so and Angel , Cyclops, and Colossus were totally robed of screen time. First of all I am a fan of all the diffrent types of X-Men comics, Astonishing X-Men , Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and ect. All those comics keept everything in check without changeing anything too negativly. This movie since I hear is the last one really should have been longer and the storyline more developed. Cyclops has been robbed since the first X-Men. The movie overall was good, if I was 14 then maybe I'd be awwed by all the cool special effects and fight scenes and totally been Satisfied , but at 24 I need the story to be just as good as the special effects. Over all the story and chracter development was better in X-2. I think many people are blinded by the special efffects and fight scenes " cool scenes" to see that the movie was not as good expected. Not saying that the storyline of the cure was not a great idea but just underdeveloped. I'm sure there will proboly be an X-4 because wheather this movie is good or bad it's an X-Men movie and everyone is at least going to see it once, thats fans for you, I mean if the movie was like 30 minutes long and done in someone's backyard I still go see it. So it will proboly make a lot of money and studios love that ,so there will proboly a 4th. Maybe Cyclops will be back as well as Prof. X and Jean. Since Jean has died like 3 times and I belive Cyclops once or was it a coma after that Apocalypse thing??

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Best Line "Do you know who I am? Im the Juggernaut B!tch!" Half the theater roared with laughter. @loll@

That has more to do with the room being full of geeks than the line actually being funny :)

This could have easily been two movies. One movie having to do with the "cure" and another for Dark Pheonix. Think of how much more unrushed everything would have been.