Something cool happened

jmoney

OK, a few of you know I teach Kindergarten.

We have letter books we work on throughout the year as part of our reading program. This week we're studying the letter X.

In the back of my class I've got a rotating display of various toys on top of a bookshelf, for a couple of weeks now it's been my Marvel Legends X-men characters. (Get it, X as in X-Men)

Every Friday we have show-and-tell, after the kids get through showing off their stuff if we have time I'll grab one of my toys and geek out for a minute or two. My goal is to get kids interested in these characters and maybe pick up a comic book or two, it's how I learned to read. (Plus it's just cool to talk to kids about superheroes)

ANYWAYS. that was the set up. Here's the good stuff.

I pulled down my astonishing costume Wolverine and showed him off. A little girl and a couple of boys knew about him already.

Since it's the end of the year I decided to bring a special treat from home and reached in my desk and pulled out my build-a-figure Sentinal. The kids oooohed and aaaaahed as I placed Wolverine inside the cable coming out of the Sentinal's palm.

A couple of kids were mad the "bad guy" was winning. I told them don't worry Wolvie could cut himself free if he wanted too. As I moved towards the table to set them down Wolvie fell out of the cable and bumped the Sentinals leg on his way to a little girl's lap. The leg isn't the greatest fit and popped off instantly and hit the floor.

The kids cheered and Wolverine's escape and damaging of the Sentinal. I've got to say I thought it was pretty cool too. :D

fuuny story

what an awesome cause! comic books get me hyped about reading, too. great to see that you enjoy teaching your students more than what happens to your figures. the good guys always win! :D

Cool story, but now you have a broken Sentinel! Ahhhh! @lol@

Cool story man! That´s how u bring kids out from the darkside: u don´t teach them about pokemon, digimon, etc. . .

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ Gotta catch em all!

Sounds like a real fun experience. Back in my days in grade school, i could only wish teachers were into "comic book education" @lol@

Sounds like a real fun experience. Back in my days in grade school, i could only wish teachers were into "comic book education" @lol@

Tell me about it! What's happened since then is the comic book/graphic novel has become recognized as a viable and important form of literature, especially useful in apppealing to visual learners. They're also a powerful tool in getting reluctant readers to actually read, therefore serving as a "gateway drug" for more traditional forms of literature.

I just finished a graduate class called "Young Adult Literature" as part of my Masters degree, and graphic novels were part of the required reading! I got graduate credit for reading comics! Life is sweet.

Tell me about it! What's happened since then is the comic book/graphic novel has become recognized as a viable and important form of literature, especially useful in apppealing to visual learners. They're also a powerful tool in getting reluctant readers to actually read, therefore serving as a "gateway drug" for more traditional forms of literature.

I just finished a graduate class called "Young Adult Literature" as part of my Masters degree, and graphic novels were part of the required reading! I got graduate credit for reading comics! Life is sweet.

From one Grad. Student to another, I applaud you, that is very cool. I remember as a kid how teachers would tell me that comic books were filled with nonsense and were not true literature...what a bunch of losers. Talk about putting a damper on a kids' imagination @grumpy@...eh, i read them anyway.

Glad you guys thought it was funny too.

I've gotten more than a couple of PM's asking about the fate of the sentinal. Rest easy once he was returned to mastermold (aka my kitchen table) his leg was successfully refitted. Caution is advised on his next mission.

And Yeah more than one of the kids said they wanted the Sentinal. Last year I had a kid who really got into the Marvel Legends line. His dad was really cool about it cause he knew who the Thing was and it meant less time trying to remember Power Ranger names. @loll@

btw, I hope my graduate work includes that comic class as well, heck I could teach that part. ^_^