Star Wars toys: Not valuable?

AirborneRigger

I've noticed that a lot of the Star Wars stuff over the past 10 years have really dropped in value. Right about when the stuff is released, it's hell to get your hands on but if you wait a few years you can get it dirt cheap. What's the deal?? For example: Episode I 12" Darth Maul was hard as hell to get back in the day and would normally cost you about $50-$75 on Ebay. Now, it's about $10 MOC/MIB! Another thing that sucks is now I'm trying to sell my collection and it's basically worthless. :( I need money real bad and I won't get the amount I need from my SW stuff.

BTW, if anyone wants anything, make me an offer. http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/abn...s%20Collection/

That's because unlike Vintage stuff, a LOT more dealers/collectors/speculators/fans bought stuff and kept it MIB or MOC.

The number of kids buying is not only smaller, but you have a LOT more sealed samples floating around.

You'd be amazed how cheap stuff becomes when the scalpers realize most of this isn't rare at all. I'm sure in a few years, a lot of the RotS variants will be far cheaper than now

Well toys aren't a good investment anyhow, so if you are

going to collect them, then do it for fun, not for value. That

being said, I can hardly get rid of stuff I've had for years, you

have to practically give it away.

I think part of it, also, is that Hasbro has been getting BETTER. The figures they made five or six years ago just look like crap compared to the recent stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of fans are simply trying to get rid of their old stuff so they can buy more VOTC Biker Scouts or Stormtroopers, know what I mean?

I think part of it, also, is that Hasbro has been getting BETTER. The figures they made five or six years ago just look like crap compared to the recent stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of fans are simply trying to get rid of their old stuff so they can buy more VOTC Biker Scouts or Stormtroopers, know what I mean?

Bingo. One of the symptoms of having a line lasting this long is there are going to be better versions coming down the pike. Especially for those (like me) who have been collecting since that first wave in 1995.

I think the only people who haven't figured this out are the people who run the local comic shop here, where there are scads of 1997 hologram-stickered figures available for $15 or so each, and the first 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi Hasbro did in 1996 for $40.

kenner made a ton of figs for the 90's line and most could readily be found at clearance for years. the atat was 15-20 bucks at 1 point. i picked up an atst for 10. those 3 packs were going for 5 bucks and the cool playsets would go for 5 too.

Since Episode 1 toys, everyone wanted to rekindle that 'feeling' and thought that they'd make big bucks keeping everything moc etc... But who woulda thunk it'll turn out dragging down the market because of it!

kenner made a ton of figs for the 90's line and most could readily be found at clearance for years. the atat was 15-20 bucks at 1 point. i picked up an atst for 10. those 3 packs were going for 5 bucks and the cool playsets would go for 5 too.

That's true. There use to be a point in time where you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting something from either POTF2 or TPM. Heck,you could walk into just about any type of store and find stuff.

Are you splitting them up or want to sell the whole lot?

My bro's looking for some stuff that he missed out on and I know I need the Naboo Speeder, the Acklay beast... lil' Boba.. Naboo guards... and the red battle droid and that lil mini tank that came with the blue battle droid...and I'm sire some more stuff :)

OH.. put Sio Bibble on ebay.. he goes for some money for some odd reason ;)

stock market and CDs are great but have you seen some of the returns on gentle giant statues busts? double, triple, quadruple in price. i was following a red clone bust on ebay and i believe the final bid was $410. not bad for something only bought at retail for $50.

investing in toys isnt terrible, you just need to know what to buy and when to sell. exclusive stuff or low number items are generally worth more over time.

I think a lot of us have this problem with our POTF2 figs, far superior versions of almost all the characters have come out since they first rolled out in 1995, and now we can't give them away.

The figures they made five or six years ago just look like crap compared to the recent stuff.

Ain't that the truth. For the past year, the only SW figs I've had out have been the ROTS and some Saga figs. A week ago I pulled out my old (pre-2000) collection and just couldn't believe how bad the figures were in comparison to the modern stuff. Granted, there are exceptions of course, but those older figures just don't hold a candle to the new stuff when you compare detail and articulation. And, being someone who is now getting back into SW collecting after a 5 year absense, I'm not looking for every figure that I missed: only the best ones. I'll buy high quality figures of characters that I like. But, I'm not going to go after different versions of a character just because they are out there. I want the best. And, in some cases (Jedi Luke!!!!) I'm going to wait and not buy any older figs as I know that Hasbro is going to, at some point, produce the definitive version of that character and I'll get it when it comes out.

Are you splitting them up or want to sell the whole lot?

My bro's looking for some stuff that he missed out on and I know I need the Naboo Speeder, the Acklay beast... lil' Boba.. Naboo guards... and the red battle droid and that lil mini tank that came with the blue battle droid...and I'm sire some more stuff :)

OH.. put Sio Bibble on ebay.. he goes for some money for some odd reason ;)

I was going to sell the whole lot together but I wouldn't make anything. So I'm parting it out. Here's a link to the Selling/Trading section on my collection(the third post has the pending deals but if there's something there that you still want, ask b/c deals don't always go through)...

http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=2013459

investing in toys isnt terrible, you just need to know what to buy and when to sell. exclusive stuff or low number items are generally worth more over time.

this is true, but the key is buying toys you love and just being mindfull of the variants, limiteds, etc. it's neat to think that what you collect could one day bring big bucks, but not realistic to expect it

aragron

Man its not even funny how worthless the stuff is. I sold off almost a complete MOC set from 95-Saga1. And only got about $1000 and I had to split them up. Its ok though, I kept my loose ones and I prefer them that way.

Draven

this is true, but the key is buying toys you love and just being mindfull of the variants, limiteds, etc. it's neat to think that what you collect could one day bring big bucks, but not realistic to expect it

aragron

well said, theres really ... no reason what so ever to collect for value unless you sell them when they are hot... inwhich case I don't even know if I would call that collecting :S unless you just put the funds back into more toys for you're self :)