The Disaster that was..........

Wheeljack35

November 17 1978 I was 12 years old and thought WOW Star Wars on TV. OMG what a disaster this thing is.At 12 I was nieve and didn't know better.

Well for others who have never seen it or haven't got the bootlegged copy on DVD like I do Here are some snippets from this horrible aboration.

It combines the absolute worst of Star Wars and the nonsense that was 70's variety shows

First off here is the opening credits for some reason not endeng and cutting to Lumpy, Chewbacca son.If the whole scene was played the kid walks on the railing if he had fallen he surely would of been killed thus ending the nightmare that was The Start Wars Holiday Special but no such luck

Opening Credits/Lumpy

One of only two bright spots in this special was this deleted scene from A New Hope.The other bright spot was the cartoon which I posted a while back

Deleted Scene

Of course what would a variety show have been with out made up cornball songs you would never hear again in your life.Bea Arthur played the Propieter of the Tatooine Cantina and sang.

This clip is only the song with images from the saga put into it along with a scene from the Muppet show

Bea Arthurs Canteen mess

Fox News paid a little tribut to it on its 25 anniversary

Fox News

TV Land got into the act

TV Land

Aw, c'mon, the Holiday Special wasn't thaaaat bad.

HAHAHA ok, I'm done being funny. You're right, the cartoon was about the only good part. I liked seeing all the cantina aliens tho too, like Ponda Baba with his suction cup hands and some of the new ones, even as bad as most of them were. Didn't they make a figure of 1 or 2 of the cantina aliens? I know Zutton was based on that appearance of him. there may have been another.

But yeah, the Holiday Special's pretty fun if you're sitting around with a group of friends, sober or not ;)

The ironic thing is that when this came out (I was 7), I loved it. I just didn't realize how bad it was. Same with my friends. I don't think I even remembered anything about it the next morning (thank goodness I blocked out the lame music skits) except for it taking place on Kashyyyk and the Boba Fett cartoon. But it was Star Wars!

why was there all that ep 2 and ROTJ stuff in the Aunt Bea stuff? was that part of the anniversary stuff? Anyone have the cartoon? I would love to see that. Isn't that where boba fett makes his first appearance?

why was there all that ep 2 and ROTJ stuff in the Aunt Bea stuff? was that part of the anniversary stuff? Anyone have the cartoon? I would love to see that. Isn't that where boba fett makes his first appearance?

As I said I don't know why this person put all those things in it instead of showing the origional performance

I posted the cartoon here some time ago let me see if I can find it.

Didn't they make a figure of 1 or 2 of the cantina aliens? I know Zutton was based on that appearance of him. there may have been another.

Vintage Snaggletooth/POTJ Zutton is the only one I can think of right off hand, there were also prototypes made of Chewie's family...

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=d...m&item_id=48815

@hmmm@

I was 7 and don't remember much more than something about being on Chewbacca's planet, which of course, is probably a good thing. I have been tempted (by the dark side? lol) to pick up a copy at one the last couple of comic/toy shows, but, you never know about the quality.

Coming For Release in Feb. 2007:

George Lucas has announced his plans to release Star Wars: The Holiday Special: Special Edition on DVD. This Special Edition DVD will include:

30 more minute of Wookie chat

Bea Arthur's Song number has been edited out and replaced with the original longer number

Itchy's Scence in which he watches Mermeia played by Diahann Carroll has also been increased

Interviews with Cast Members:

Bea Arthur

Diahann Carroll

Paul Gale

Yeah right. I'm sure he'll change his mind in about two years when this hits it's 30th anniversary.You know George,anything for a buck. ;)

It'll be released with a limited edition"George Lucas as a wookie" figure.