Sign in to follow this  
Toiletmonkey1

UK action force question?

lately ive been obsessed with foreign gijoe action figures??? dont know if its been all the cobra mortal talk or what? but i really like the UK action force (the early stuff) jammer and moondancer ect ect there some of the best repainted figures plus they had some goofy ass back stories that crack me up, anyway i have 3 questions

1) did action force have a comic prior to the merge w/gijoe? with characters like dolfin,quarrel baron ironblood ect,ect in it?

2) a few weeks back someone posted a thread that had a link to a foreign gijoe book, now i cant find it anyone got that link??

3) what are your guys thoughts on foreign figures like em? or hate em? or just dont give a sh@t????

TM

The foreign figs kinda slip my mind most of the time. I really don't care for them. Of course (brace yourself) I really don't like most of the figures before 1984 (which are the molds that were used for the majority of the early foreign stuff, right?). But hey, that's just me. Hope you find that link you're looking for.

1. Yes they did. Its called Battle Action Force.

2. Do you mean the book sold here

3. I'm in England, so its the Gi Joes that are foreign to me. @smilepunch@

Crap, beat me to it.

The book is a good reference... I wish they'd have used better stock paper, and some of the jokes are pretty bad, but kudos to the writers/publishers for doing one. It's definitely worth getting.

My favs, although I don't have any, are probably the "Hunter" UK repaint of the Cobra Soldier in black, Quarrel, and some of the Tiger Force stuff, especially Outback (mostly because of the shirt!). I'd love it if Hasbro did a six-pack or something of these and/or some of the more popular European stuff.

What you had in the UK originally & I think also Predates The Joe`s in the US.

Was ACTION FORCE. These figures were originally mini versions of the 12" Action Man line (originally Action Man Action Force was the title). The actual 3 3/4 figures were made to the same standard as the original STAR WARS figures.

Then came ACTION FORCE (Space,Z,Q & SAS Forces) against Baron Iron Blood & his RED Shadows. A small group of figures (were made like the GI JOE figures of Joe molds though different names).

A perfect place to view the Original comics & also see the Bios on the characters of Action Force is here...........

http://www.actionforce.org/redshadows/index.html

http://www.geocities.com/mkbip/webpages/actionforce.htm

http://members.lycos.co.uk/spaceforce/

Hopefully these will help answer some of your questions :D

Ja

Steel Bonnet

How common are some of the uk figures over there?

I'm looking to still get the repaints, like blades, hunter, red jackel, moondancer, jammer, etc ...

Hey TM,

You know they are going to make ACTION Man and Action FORCE figures as a Convention Set. Its comming soon. MasterCollector is running out of SubGroups to do sets. Most of those molds exist. I'd bet we'll get something eventually.

You just gotta wait it out.

How common are some of the uk figures over there?

I'm looking to still get the repaints, like blades, hunter, red jackel, moondancer, jammer, etc ...

Some of them are fairly common... others are far less so

"Stalker", (the snake eyes repaint) Red Laser and Quarrel were all available for some time and were shiped with fairly common vehicles

Blades, Red Jackal and Hunter were availble for less time (it might have only been a year before they shifted to using Gi Joe characters, at which point the molds were used instead for the characters they were designed for)

Gaucho and Jammer were only available with the HQ, which as a large playset may well not have been produced in the same numbers (I never knowingly saw one in-store that I recall)

Moondancer and Dolphin may also have been less common.. the origional releases of the vehicles they came with had "origional style" action force figures as Drivers, only the later ones had the Joe repaint drivers

Really though its hard to tell, Action Force/Gi Joe is not widely seen as collectable in the UK and there isn't really the same developed secondary market for them here. (the frequent Brand changes over here may well have had something to do with that..)

What alot of people don't know is that after Palitoys Action Force line died, they sold the rights to some other company who actually released the figures in little 4 packs e.g. Duke, Quarrel, Major Bludd and Red Lazer all in the same pack!

I'm sure the figures were actually just random figures, as they did not have any filecards or names. The packs were prett generic, similar colours to the AF packs but without the logos etc. They also would have mixed the figures with the old style AF figures from Q-Force, Z-Force etc too.

I bought a few of these back in the day (around 1985?) to stock up on figures that I missed.

I have actually seen these packs show up on ebay, but have Star Wars figures inside...so obviously the same cmpany bought the rights from Kenner to sell those here in the UK also.

I have all the UK figures except for Hunter (the cobra Officer repaint), and I like them a lot. Quarrel, Blades, and Moondancer were available at one of the early cons (maybe mid 90's??, probably the 94 con when I got the Fighter Pilot figure). The con figures were bagged with different gear, but the figures were otherwise identical to the UK release (probably overstock).

Incidentally, if anyone has a hunter for sale, let me know!

I also remenber that when the line switched from the AF blue style card to the GI Joe picture style one, you'd be able to figures on the wrong cards, I got my Cobra Commander that way.