How rare is the SW:ROTS #6 Shock Trooper variant?

gth_09

Although I was able to get nearly all single carded figures in the store... I never did pick up the variants because I didn't know about them until it was too late. From the different color of light sabers of a figure to the shock trooper or Meena Tills (creme face), Bly and I think I heard there was a front or side something that had to do with Vader.

kndy

I like how this has become a bragging thread with some people, who were lucky enough to find a bunch of these!

But they have a point - I wouldn't say it's rare, so much as it's extremely popular and when most SW collectors see it, they buy as many as they can. I've gotten 8 so far, but never at retail - I basically paid what would have been Canadian retail price for each one of them off Ebay, and although some people are trying to sell them for stupid amounts of money many can be had quite reasonably.

It's hard to find because of its popularity, not because of its actual "rarity".

I think the true rarity for the ROTS series were the figures that were given out for the media kits. Those were limited in distribution to the press. Wasn't it a two-figure set like Darth on one side and Annakin on the other or something or other?

kndy

yeah i think that was the only one that beat out the usual jakks really cool exclusive wwf figures that should be put out in main lines but aren't.....:D

but the shocktrooper and anakin's legion trooper are a lil harder to find than other clones, partly because of how they were released....i mean figures like bly and gree got put out in larger quantities than those two, which is why the shocker & legionaire are gettin put out in the new store-exclusive battle sets.

Again...

From dictionary.com

rare ( P ) Pronunciation Key (râr)

adj. rar·er, rar·est

Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; a plant that is rare in this region.

Excellent; extraordinary: a rare sense of honor.

Thin in density: rarefied: rare air.

So hard to find is something that is uncommon which would make it rare..

It appears to be limited in it's distrobution to certain areas.. I know locals that never saw it in the stores period. My Wal Mart only got in 2 cases of that perticular wave.

Again...

From dictionary.com

rare ( P ) Pronunciation Key (râr)

adj. rar·er, rar·est

Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; a plant that is rare in this region.

Excellent; extraordinary: a rare sense of honor.

Thin in density: rarefied: rare air.

So hard to find is something that is uncommon which would make it rare..

It appears to be limited in it's distrobution to certain areas.. I know locals that never saw it in the stores period. My Wal Mart only got in 2 cases of that perticular wave.

The definition isn't in question - it's the degree at which it is "infrequently occurring". In the world of toy collecting, when you've got something like the "Pimp Daddy Destro" (couldn't think of a SW equivalent off the top of my head) that may only have five or so known copies, and the red Shock Trooper, which is a bit difficult to find because the demand exceeded the supply at the present, well, it's just something you have to take into consideration when calling something "rare" rather than just "extremely popular".

The definition isn't in question - it's the degree at which it is "infrequently occurring". In the world of toy collecting, when you've got something like the "Pimp Daddy Destro" (couldn't think of a SW equivalent off the top of my head) that may only have five or so known copies, and the red Shock Trooper, which is a bit difficult to find because the demand exceeded the supply at the present, well, it's just something you have to take into consideration when calling something "rare" rather than just "extremely popular".

Yes its extremely popular, Most clones were. However, that doesn't explain why so many people couldn't find one in stores that had hundreds of the regular version. Having actually worked at a retail store during this time I can safely say that the ratio between the first Col. 1 releases compared to the latter were disproportionately huge. How often do the collectors on this board go toy hunting. I would say it would be higher than the average shopper, so of course some of us would see it, buy it, then be able to say these aren't rare. If you didn't see it at all, like many collectors, then I think you would be saying the opposite.

At TRU:

We recieved maybe 35 - 40 cases of col. 1 figures (#'s 1-12).

We only recieved 5 cases of the assortment that had the shock trooper, and he was only one per case.

He was two per case.

Actually, he was one, or at least in the cases that I opened there was only one. I believe there may have been more than one assortment, because I had a collector tell me he found a case where there were two packed in, but the cases we recieved only had singles (all the figures in the case were different).