Got 1/6 Hot Toys Scar Predator!!!

Darren

I got the 1/6th scale SCAR PREDATOR from Hot Toys this past weekend and have a little review for this sucker.

PROS

First off,the detail on this figure is TOP NOTCH,great quality down to the painted Predator flesh.The silver armor has a blackened look to it with a rough texture. The use of a cloth skirt and even real cloth netting adds a new degree of realism.The armor is connected by a bunch of rubber studs and such so if you really wanted to,the armor does have a degree of customizing if you wanted to remove the Predator's hip guards for example.The Scar Predator also sports two gauntlets,one with the traditional retractable wristblade which can be pulled out to increase its length, and the other flips up to reveal the Pred's self-destruct mechnism. The figure also sports a plasmacaster that flips up and even has a short pumphandle on it that moves back and forth similar to the McFarlane Scar Predator. However,this Plasmacaster seems to have slightly better articulation to it.

The joints are tight,though it is dubbed as a model kit,this is an action figure. When you first receive the HUGE Scar Predator package,the figure's body is in parts: head,torso,upper arms,lower legs,feet,and two pairs of hands. You have to put the arms,legs and head together to form the Predator's body and then place the netting over it and then attach all the armor and gear before you finally get it completed.

The accessories are nice as well, the Scar Predator includes: wristblade gauntlet,self-destruct gauntlet,retractable spear,dagger and sheath (that attaches to shin guards),closed shuriken and open shuriken,plasmacaster,skull strap and helmet.The Scar doesn't have the huge forearm blades that his counterpart, the Celtic Predator has.

CONS

Unfortunately,the figure is not short of some design flaws,these however are somewhat minor and can be up to personal preference.

If you don't like to put stuff together,this is not for you.Look for a good 1-2 hour period of putting him together, ESPECIALLY if you don't follow the instructions directly.Thankfully the instructions are in English since Hot Toys is a Hong Kong-based company. I did not follow the instructions directly and found myself frustratingly tearing parts of the figure apart to get things on like his skull strap.

Also,you have to be careful with the applying the armor as well,though it is rubber stubs and such that keep some pieces on,they can have a habit of breaking.I thought I could easily remove one of the Pred's hip guards,but the stub for it broke off and I have to superglue it back to his belt.

Another note is to make sure you get everything on right the first time,follow the instructions, because if you don't,you'll be sorry.I had to tear the Predator's head off several times to get the skull strap on,and watch the way its tied,cause it might fall out on you. One of the biggest nags though is that the two tubes for his helmet attach to two VERY small holes behind his plasmacaster...once the caster is attached,its VERY tough to get to these small holes,I managed to get it once but they fell out easily and i just gave up otherwise.

I'll post some pics if anyone wants them.

That was a great review!! Thanks! Yes Pictures would be nice. But can I request pics of it disassembled if at all possible?

I'll get some pics up of it later,I would disassemble it for you if it wasn't so frustrating to put together in the first place. You "snap-in" a lot of the joints and for the most part,I think they'd be real tough to get back out in one piece. That's why I said that once you put everything together....make sure you get it right...the first time or you'll be frustrated taking everything apart again.

The higher-end 1/6th scale figures tend to be very intricate and problematic because of that.

Always always look at the instructions with these thing, and look at them CAREFULLY. Sometimes they can be obscure and vague--and if in a foreign/translated language..........its asking for trouble.

As you now know the materials and tolerances on parts (plastics and soft goods) can be fragile so take that extra care.

Tools to make fixes are almost mandatory with these things--I keep tweezers and crazy-glue always on hand.

• 1 month later...

Pics pics pics! :)

Finally got my Hot Toys Celtic Predator, the box is awesome, as is the figure itself. I'll be putting it together in the morning (it's 2:45 am right now), I'll post some pics then.

Cobra Commander, I hope you don't mind, I don't mean to hijack your thread and all.

I just finished putting together my scar predator. I was gonna take pics during its assembly process then my battery died on the digi-cam.

I have to say this is one of the best action figures I ever had. From sculpt, articulation and accessories... everything is perfect. It definitely has that museum quality feel to it. Putting it together was fun too...

Im gonna do my finances now and see if I can pick up the celtic predator...in the mean time, Im charging my camera :)

If you have to pick up one action figure this year, get this one (or the celtic predator) Definitely "the" if not one of the best figures of the 2006!!

Here's mine... sorry for the crappy quality...

DSC04594.jpg

DSC04593.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

DSC04591.jpg

DSC04590.jpg

DSC04589.jpg

DSC04588.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

here's more..I wanted to take pics during assembly but my camera died...and Im not willing to take this figure apart because everything pretty much "snapped" into place. (might break)

DSC04595.jpg

DSC04596.jpg

DSC04597.jpg

Awesome pics HT69!

I still haven't put my Celtic Predator together, I have to find a good place to display him before I do.

One thing I hate about the figure though, is that both the blade and the shuriken are made of hard plastic. How sweet would it be if they were made out of metal?

Awesome pics HT69!

I still haven't put my Celtic Predator together, I have to find a good place to display him before I do.

One thing I hate about the figure though, is that both the blade and the shuriken are made of hard plastic. How sweet would it be if they were made out of metal?

Tthanks!! I was thinking the same thing actually, yeah metal/diecast would of been nice. Im eagerly awaiting your pics of celtic predator if you can... take your time with it though. Putting it together was fun but the instructions are a little vague, even though theyre in english.

And as for displaying it? I find getting something new and ready to display (or play with lolz) inspires me to make room. And this figure definitely commands you to make space for it.

• 2 weeks later...