G.I. JOE The Live Action Movie Script ?

OptimusPrime2005

okay, a point that i think most of you missed is that the whole thing with duke and "Cobra" being friends and then being betrayed is one of the worst types of betrayal and usually the most enjoyable to watch. it gives a more personal feel between the characters instead of just plain old "i will die for my country's freedom" stuff. if it was just a military black ops squad trying to overthrow a terrorist group it would just be a buch of James bonds running around. (which is basically the gi joe we all know and love.) <--- that usually doesnt make for a good story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. i think if you did not know anything about the gi joe of the past this script would not be that bad. kinda like sigma six. if the 3 3/4" joes didnt exist already, they might not be all that bad.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, a point that i think most of you missed is that the whole thing with duke and "Cobra" being friends and then being betrayed is one of the worst types of betrayal and usually the most enjoyable to watch. it gives a more personal feel between the characters instead of just plain old "i will die for my country's freedom" stuff. if it was just a military black ops squad trying to overthrow a terrorist group it would just be a buch of James bonds running around. (which is basically the gi joe we all know and love.) <--- that usually doesnt make for a good story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. i think if you did not know anything about the gi joe of the past this script would not be that bad. kinda like sigma six. if the 3 3/4" joes didnt exist already, they might not be all that bad.

Something else that needs to be mentioned: the script that's been talked about here is likely a draft, not the final shooting script--if it is the genuine article.

The project does NOT, as yet, have a green light for filming. There's no cast, no indication of a confirmed director, certainly NO release date, or anything beyond preliminary scripts and pre-production.

What's been talked about here is, essentially, vapor.

Something else that needs to be mentioned: the script that's been talked about here is likely a draft, not the final shooting script--if it is the genuine article.

The project does NOT, as yet, have a green light for filming. There's no cast, no indication of a confirmed director, certainly NO release date, or anything beyond preliminary scripts and pre-production.

What's been talked about here is, essentially, vapor.

Yeah, that's true! I was thinking about that myself...

But its not a strong point, there are toys for everything. But most movies arent based on them. There based on established material.

EXACTLY! comic book movies are based on comic books that have toys that simply supplement them. G.I. Joe is a toyline first and foremost, with comics and cartoons that supplement them. this creates a different dynamic.

G.I. Joe has many different incarnations, and this movie is not an adaption of the comic or cartoon, two entirely different continuities. it is a movie based on ideas from the toyline to create an entirely new version from concepts established from the toys. sure, they could make a movie based on the cartoon or ocmic, but not doing so does not betray the concept of G.I. Joe in any way.

EXACTLY! comic book movies are based on comic books that have toys that simply supplement them. G.I. Joe is a toyline first and foremost, with comics and cartoons that supplement them. this creates a different dynamic.

No its not, and movies arent just based on toys.The ones that are suck

BUt Ok, if you want its based on the toys. Which is not the best idea. Or really what they should do.

But its a stupid script.And im sure they wont use it. If you recall they had 4 different complete scripts for Indiana Jones 4 and they scrapped them all and redid it till they got this one that they are going to use.

So I guess we will see. I dont think id even go see it if it is made with this script.

But its always good throwing ideas around with you guys.

wait a minute..... is this even an actual writer or is it some guy in his basement that wrote this??? i mean has the writer ever written for other movies?? anyone know?

also- i dont think that gi joe is even close to being as famous as some other comics to actually be made into a big budget film, therefore it will probably suck no matter what it is about or who it is about.

also- i dont think that gi joe is even close to being as famous as some other comics to actually be made into a big budget film, therefore it will probably suck no matter what it is about or who it is about.

As a comic, no, but in its entirety, and mostly as a toy, it's more famous than a lot of those movies. I mean, you gotta look at the big picture here - even after the movies were made, people on the street would be more likely to know what GI Joe is before Blade, the Punisher, Elektra, Daredevil, etc...

And if you think a movie will suck just because the theme isn't as "famous" as others, well, I don't know what to say. I don't want to sound harsh, but that's a really dumb way to judge a movie.

There is nothing wrong with the Cobra Commander back story if you ask me. It still shows a regular guy being pushed over the edge by the system. Is that not what the comics tell us?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "Rex" only turn evil because he was used in Destro's super solidier program? If so then that is absolutely NOTHING like the Cobra Commander story in the comics. Cobra Commander wasn't the result of some experiment. He was a guy with a legitamite hate for the government.

Correct me if im wrong but............ G.I. Joe an elite special missions force whose purpose to defend freedom against Cobra a ruthless terrorists organization determined to rule the world.

I think the Script hit the nail on the head!

I guess I need to look at this thing again becasue it is my understanding that COBRA is not even in the film. Am I wrong? How can a movie in which COBRA makes no apperance "hit the nail on the head" in reguards to portraying COBRA?

I guess you did not feel the same way as me. There were plenty of cobra army troops in the film from start to finish.

Again I guess I need to look at this again because it was my understanding that it was only Destro and his men.

A good example of this kind of thing working out to advantage is the fiurst Batman movie--where-in the younger Jack Napier ( Joker) is the man who kills Batman's parents--not Joe Chill as in the comics. Likewise, Peter Parker having organic web-shooters in his wrists makes a whole lot more story sense for a film, than him building mechanical webshooters. The premises have been streamlined and simplified for cinema.

Those are good examples however I must disagree strongly that the chnage from Cobra Commander having a connection to Snake-Eyes to having a connection to Duke is no different from what you listed.

Snake-Eyes is not just nobody like Joe Chill that most people have never even heard of, Snake-Eyes is a major character.

No its not, and movies arent just based on toys.The ones that are suck

but basing it on the comic or cartoon doesn't necessarily mean the movie will be any better, it would simply suck but be based on the comic or cartoon. either the characters and story will be executed well or not, but this can be done both by being adapted from the comics/cartoon and not. I think the movie has far more of a chance at being good not being based on the cartoon or comic because the ideas in them were too contrived, cartoonish, silly and soap operaish, but it will depend on HOW the characters and story are treated, executed and relate to the idea of the toy, not whether it is accurate to one aspect of how a version of the sory was told, i.e. the comic or cartoon. it is the idea of the conflict between a military unit and a believeable villain who we know as Cobra, whether Cobra is one person or the name of a terrorist unit, that is important, not how that idea has been told in the past.

But its a stupid script.And im sure they wont use it. If you recall they had 4 different complete scripts for Indiana Jones 4 and they scrapped them all and redid it till they got this one that they are going to use.

I didn't say it was a great script. in fact, I reviewed this script months ago on this site, outlined the story and action and provided comments on what I felt worked and did not:

http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=2007548&hl=

the point is that if you do not like the direction that is one thing, but if you do not like the direction simply because it is not an adaption of the comic or cartoon that is another, and one I find unreasonable. The script has some good ideas, and some good action sequences, but is ultimately poorly done, but not because Cobra Commander is not a ex-used car salesman or a coward from a race of snake men, both of which are far worse ideas for a movie then him being a disillusioned soldier who is transformed into an evil-super soldier.

wait a minute..... is this even an actual writer or is it some guy in his basement that wrote this??? i mean has the writer ever written for other movies?? anyone know?

the writers also wrote the movie Four Brothers with Mark Walburg and Andre 3000.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "Rex" only turn evil because he was used in Destro's super solidier program? If so then that is absolutely NOTHING like the Cobra Commander story in the comics. Cobra Commander wasn't the result of some experiment. He was a guy with a legitamite hate for the government.

but it is in there. the serum makes him lose his mind, but after the Joes disobey a direct order to retrieve the nanomites, they are discharged from the military, infuriating Rex/Cobra and creating his hate for the government. it is in there.

Again I guess I need to look at this again because it was my understanding that it was only Destro and his men.

Destro is the main bad guy initially, who is creating an army of super soldiers, who Cobra leads. quite frankly, I find the character of Destro and the idea of a weapons developer the best choice and most believeable choice for an enemy. the problem is he is underused in the script, which comes back to the execution of the script, not the ideas.

My image of G.I.Joe could only be RUINED by such a "live-action" movie, focusing on the characters of G.I.Joe in it's ARAH incarnation.

AWESOME TOYS!

COOL CARTOONS!

NEAT COMIC BOOKS!

...and that's about as good as it's going to get. ;)

When I was a kid, my 12" "generic" G.I.Joes were every cool hero, in every cool war movie I'd watch with my dad. I would act out the scenes from the movie I liked, with my Joes, whether it was Battle of the Bulge, The Dirty Dozen, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape...you name it, and my Joes were livin' the adventure in my backyard.

Those movies were what G.I.JOE was all about to me (as a kid) anyway. Todays G.I.Joes being so character SPECIFIC oriented as they are now....they'll lost that edge, and trying to transfer what's acceptable in a kids cartoon, or a young teens comic book, to a MOVIE, seems to fail (if I may use an expression of Golobulous) "fail miserably"!

Those movies were what G.I.JOE was all about to me (as a kid) anyway. Todays G.I.Joes being so character SPECIFIC oriented as they are now....they'll lost that edge, and trying to transfer what's acceptable in a kids cartoon, or a young teens comic book, to a MOVIE, seems to fail (if I may use an expression of Golobulous) "fail miserably"!

then you don't know anything about G.I. Joe. the only real story of G.I. JOe is RAH vs a terrorist organization named Cobra. any deviation from that only shows your ignorance of G.I. Joe and is a slap in the face to the fans!

@smilepunch@ @firedevil@

then you don't know anything about G.I. Joe. the only real story of G.I. JOe is RAH vs a terrorist organization named Cobra. any deviation from that only shows your ignorance of G.I. Joe and is a slap in the face to the fans!

@grumpy@ LISTEN HERE, YOU LILLY-LIVERED, SPINLESS SQUID OF A...

@smilepunch@ @firedevil@

OH! I didn't see those at first! ^_^

Yes, CC as a used car salesman and ex-scientist from Cobra-la are pretty bad ideas too, but in a way, I think that serves my main point, which is that I don't think Cobra Commander's origin needs to be known. When I talk about RAH and all that, I'm really talking about the spirit of the first few years... Cobra-la and all that nonsense kind of brought an end to that.

I just think it's unnecessary because: a ) Duke knowing CC as a kid is pretty cheesy in itself; b ) characters like Cobra Commander are cooler when their origin isn't known, and; c ) in this day and age, especially, going into CC's motives and origins are a waste of time. Everyone out there knows that there are people out there who will do anything to bring down democracy and gain power for themselves. It's just unnecessary.

I say again, a "full" basis on either the comics or the movies would be a mistake - more so, it would be impossible because of the difference in medium. BUT there are proven elements from both that have endured and remained very popular. A movie could gain the same effect the whole Duke/Rex relationship strove for by adding the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow subplot... I wouldn't make it the main focus, but it would be a cool addition, kind of like how Wolverine's origins were tied into the X-Men movies.

I also don't think we need Hi-Tech in there, or Heavy Duty. These guys just aren't all that interesting or popular, despite Hasbro insisting they be in Sigma Six. Having them in a cameo would be kind of cool, along with any number of characters, but I still say that given the action and effects that will undoubtably be a part of such a movie, and the focus on military themes and special operations, Bond-like evil organizations and a little ninja thrown into the mix, this movie would appeal to the 18-35 year-old demographic. As such, I think it would only make sense to appeal to them by using the more popular RAH characters that people do remember: Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Shipwreck (although a DD take on this guy would be more appropriate), Tunnel Rat, etc. The big guns.

You'd be surprised how many non-Joe fans remember those names, and how they looked. A few years back when I was still in university, my housemates and I decided to dress up as Joes for Hallowe'en. This was before I started collecting them as an adult, and none of the other guys did either, but we all played with them as kids, and went through the characters' names no problem while we decided who'd be most appropriate. Based on the "coolness factor" and also which ones suited us most, we decided on Flint, Sgt. Slaughter, Bazooka, Shipwreck and Gung Ho. We went bar-hopping a bit, and EVERY SINGLE guy (and some of the girls, but admitedly they mostly just assumed we were dressed as soldiers) we met knew EXACTLY who we were, and each of our names! It was crazy... and cool too, because we won a costume contest at the last bar we went to and won all sorts of stuff, including a bunch of free pitchers.

Ah, those were the days...

I want to go on record that I do not want to see a adaptation of the comic book or cartoon to film. I just don't want it to stray past the basic principals that are shared by all incarnations of G.I. JOE ARAH. I haven't read the entire script yet (I'm still going over it) but the thing that bothers me more than the Duke/Cibra Commander relationship is the fact that Cobra Commander is a guy being sought out by Destro rather than the other way around. 99.9% of anyone that remembers the G.I. JOE cartoon or comic (and I'm not talking about just fanboys here) are going to remember that Destro was always second to Cobra Commander. It's as basic a principal to G.I. JOE as the fact that COBRA was the name of the bad guys they fought. This script turns that upside down. There needs to be more than just the basic "speical forces unit vs terrorist" plot in order for this to be G.I. JOE despite claims to the contrary. If that were the case then why even call it G.I. JOE at all?

I just think it's unnecessary because: a ) Duke knowing CC as a kid is pretty cheesy in itself;

I agree, Duke and Rex as boy hood friends is lame, but the main Cobra enemy being an ex-G.I. Joe is good. subtract the boyhood stuff and that aspect is very tolerable.

A movie could gain the same effect the whole Duke/Rex relationship strove for by adding the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow subplot... I wouldn't make it the main focus, but it would be a cool addition, kind of like how Wolverine's origins were tied into the X-Men movies.

I've always found that to be a rather uninteresting aspect of the Joe story. the conflict between SE's and SS is bad enough in this script, expanding upon it anymore would be a bad idea. that's the problem with the Joe comic IMO, alot of characters are so interconnected in their histories to enemy characters that it is one big soap opera. it is silly. I honestly don't think the audience is going to be wowed by a relationship between two martial artists on opposite sides.

Wolverine as a character on film is far more interesting of a character than Snake Eyes would be on film. in a Joe movie, Snake Eyes is a background character at best with one or two good scenes. the way he is handled in thos script is actually one of the high points of the script for me.

I also don't think we need Hi-Tech in there, or Heavy Duty. These guys just aren't all that interesting or popular, despite Hasbro insisting they be in Sigma Six. Having them in a cameo would be kind of cool, along with any number of characters, but I still say that given the action and effects that will undoubtably be a part of such a movie, and the focus on military themes and special operations, Bond-like evil organizations and a little ninja thrown into the mix, this movie would appeal to the 18-35 year-old demographic. As such, I think it would only make sense to appeal to them by using the more popular RAH characters that people do remember: Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Shipwreck (although a DD take on this guy would be more appropriate), Tunnel Rat, etc. The big guns.

You'd be surprised how many non-Joe fans remember those names, and how they looked.

sure, people may remember them, but I don't think the majority do, or if they do do so in a manner that they will miss them if they are not in the movie...as long as the movie reminds them of what they watched or played with as a kid. just as they won't care that they don't remember some of the characters. this script does that, whether it does it well is another story.

99.9% of anyone that remembers the G.I. JOE cartoon or comic (and I'm not talking about just fanboys here) are going to remember that Destro was always second to Cobra Commander. It's as basic a principal to G.I. JOE as the fact that COBRA was the name of the bad guys they fought. This script turns that upside down. There needs to be more than just the basic "speical forces unit vs terrorist" plot in order for this to be G.I. JOE despite claims to the contrary. If that were the case then why even call it G.I. JOE at all?

but 99% who do remember aren't going to care, probably, that it doesn't follow it identically because they don't maintain a personal dedication to the toy anymore and are only watching it for nostalgia purposes. those people only need to remember the characters, not the dynamics of the relationships, and even if they do aren't going to care as long as they are entertained.

you and I are dedicated to the toys and thus approach the subject matter far differently than the nostalgic adult who remembers playing with them as a kid.

Destro is and always was a far more interesting character than Cobra Commander, and makes for a better choice as a main villain. I don't see this being an issue with an audience at all, outside of the fanboy Joe audience.

I've always found that to be a rather uninteresting aspect of the Joe story. the conflict between SE's and SS is bad enough in this script, expanding upon it anymore would be a bad idea. that's the problem with the Joe comic IMO, alot of characters are so interconnected in their histories to enemy characters that it is one big soap opera. it is silly. I honestly don't think the audience is going to be wowed by a relationship between two martial artists on opposite sides.

Wolverine as a character on film is far more interesting of a character than Snake Eyes would be on film. in a Joe movie, Snake Eyes is a background character at best with one or two good scenes. the way he is handled in thos script is actually one of the high points of the script for me.

Maybe you do, but it's a tried and true formula that's always sold well. SE and SS have proven to be a popular, enduring storyline, even in Sigma Six. There's a reason why they're two of the most popular, and expensive, figures in the line, by far. Even non-Joe fans will pick them up. As a Joe fan, to a certain extent I agree with you - I'd like to see something other than the ninja stuff, but I also don't think that's something that should be ignored by any movie-maker.

sure, people may remember them, but I don't think the majority do, or if they do do so in a manner that they will miss them if they are not in the movie...as long as the movie reminds them of what they watched or played with as a kid. just as they won't care that they don't remember some of the characters. this script does that, whether it does it well is another story.

I think you're just plain wrong on that. I'm telling you, there were literally hundreds of guys that night who recognized and remembered the characters - every single one of them did. I'm sure if you polled the general public you'd be right, but for a movie that'd clearly be geared to 20-something and early 30's males, I think you'd be surprised.

EDIT: And why the hell does Heavy Duty and Hi Tech need to be in every Joe incarnation lately? The primary people who will be going to see a GI Joe movie (20-35 year old males) who remember the old cartoon and comics will have no idea who these people are, and will be asking "where's Roadblock and Breaker/Mainframe?" the entire time they're on screen. It seems like Hasbro/the screenwriters are banking on this being a hit with the yet untested 10-year-old Sigma Six market!

sure, they are banking on 20-35 year old males going to see the movie, but most of which don't remember anything specific about characters or comic plots. we are actually the monority of the demographic a Joe movie is aimed at, thus it will have to appeal to to a mass audience, which this script does. does it do it well? some aspects, yes, like the way it turns Joe into a small special forces team, and creates a viable enemy with the basic idea of Cobra and the Super Soldiers that will at least remind the audience of the enemy they played against. but the audience won't care that it isn't 100% accurate, because they don't remember the specifics anyway. they just remember Joe vs Cobra, and that is what they get.

comparing Joe to Lord of the Rings is an awful comparrison. Joe has neither the fan base, loyaly or appeal LOTR had/has/will ever have. LOTR succeeded first and foremost because it was well done. but there wasn't anything about it that needed to be drastically change dto appeal to teh audience, unlike the Joe vs Cobra story.

fact is the Joe mythos from the cartoon and comic will make an awful movie that will only please a small group of 20-35 year old males, which is hardly a movie worth making. this script isn't great, but it does a good job of taking the essence of some of the main characters and turning it into an idea with a far more appealing idea.

fact is, the majority of people going to see a Joe movie won't remember the difference between Heavy Duty and Roadblock or not know they never had a Hi-Tech toy.

I have to agree. Making a 100 percent representation film that mimics the original storyline, would not translate well into the big screen. Even in LOTR, they changed some stuff around. Ex, the FF7 movie sucks that only a small majority of people like, especially the FF7 fanboys; the sstory is lacking and at points, seemed half ass, the fighters were long and pointless, and there were an endless supply of characters to make 1 second comeo appearances, which I think was done to comphensate fpr the sorry storyline

Maybe you do, but it's a tried and true formula that's always sold well. SE and SS have proven to be a popular, enduring storyline, even in Sigma Six. There's a reason why they're two of the most popular, and expensive, figures in the line, by far. Even non-Joe fans will pick them up. As a Joe fan, to a certain extent I agree with you - I'd like to see something other than the ninja stuff, but I also don't think that's something that should be ignored by any movie-maker.

ninjas are a tried and true formula I agree, for children. the cursing in this script obviously aims it at an older audience, of which the ninja aspect would just be corny to. small doses, yes, which is what this script delivers. more then that and it would get silly IMO. they are best as secondary characters.

I think you're just plain wrong on that. I'm telling you, there were literally hundreds of guys that night who recognized and remembered the characters - every single one of them did. I'm sure if you polled the general public you'd be right, but for a movie that'd clearly be geared to 20-something and early 30's males, I think you'd be surprised.

I don't doubt there are a lot of people who do, I just doubt that they would care whether those characters are missing. recognizing is one thing, remembering them in absence of any indication of them is another. and even if they are disappointed that maybe their favorite character was absent, I simply don't believe that disapointment would be significant or would damper their enjoyment if the movie is good. that character would simply have been something that made the film slightly more nostalgic and enjoyable, but I don't think their enjoyment hinges on certain characters inclusion outside of the main characters that do in fact represent G.I. Joe, and those characters are in the script.

we may like Roadblock more then Heavy Duty because he is from the era we like, but he honestly doesn't represent G.I. Joe anymore than Heavy Duty, at least in the way that say Duke, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander and Destro do. Roadblock is simply more popular with a large portion of the dedicated fans.

I have to agree. Making a 100 percent representation film that mimics the original storyline, would not translate well into the big screen. Even in LOTR, they changed some stuff around. Ex, the FF7 movie sucks that only a small majority of people like, especially the FF7 fanboys; the sstory is lacking and at points, seemed half ass, the fighters were long and pointless, and there were an endless supply of characters to make 1 second comeo appearances, which I think was done to comphensate fpr the sorry storyline

Hehe, are you drunk or something? @smilepunch@ What's the FF7 movie, by the way?

we may like Roadblock more then Heavy Duty because he is from the era we like, but he honestly doesn't represent G.I. Joe anymore than Heavy Duty, at least in the way that say Duke, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander and Destro do. Roadblock is simply more popular with a large portion of the dedicated fans.

I see your point, and I'll agree to that. I just don't see any reasoning behind including someone like Heavy Duty when you can have basically the same character AND appeal to the dedicated fans at the same time. I mean, why not have it both ways?

I see your point, and I'll agree to that. I just don't see any reasoning behind including someone like Heavy Duty when you can have basically the same character AND appeal to the dedicated fans at the same time. I mean, why not have it both ways?

the reasoning is simple: to sell a character in use today. I didn't say it was a fair reason to us old school fans, but he is an important and relevent character in todays Joe product. Heavy Duty is todays Joe machine gunner and Hi-Tech the technical genius, and seeing that these were two roles that needed to be filled in the script it is understandable Hasbro dictated that they be in the movie so that it has some relevence to todays product as well.

the reasoning is simple: to sell a character in use today. I didn't say it was a fair reason to us old school fans, but he is an important and relevent character in todays Joe product. Heavy Duty is todays Joe machine gunner and Hi-Tech the technical genius, and seeing that these were two roles that needed to be filled in the script it is understandable Hasbro dictated that they be in the movie so that it has some relevence to todays product as well.

Sorry, I should have said GOOD reason, Sigma Six aside.

PhoenixSword must be a highly respected person. He has the luxury of asking questions and having answers given to him.

For the rest of us, there's www.google.com

Sorry, I should have said GOOD reason, Sigma Six aside.

I want to elaborate on this, because I realized something...

Although the reasons for Hasbro insisting on crappy characters like Hi-Tech and Heavy Duty are pretty obvious, even if I'd forgotten them, the problem I see with it is larger than just simply disliking them.

Hasbro should see a GI Joe movie as a chance to create some good figures based on a GOOD movie, not as a mass advertising tool for their current, untried concept of the GI Joe team. Let's face it, Hasbro hasn't had a solid hit with GI Joe since the Eighties. They need fresh blood - someone who can reinvigorate the brand name. I think that would be done best by someone who can tap into the most successful incarnation of GI Joe of all - the first half of RAH. Someone who can bring the best elements from the most successful of all GI Joe incarnations and update them for a contemporary movie audience is the best bet for success, both in terms of the movie and the brand name itself, and any subsequent toys based on it.

The best GI Joe movie will be a mix of the new and the old, and I don't think this script got it. Sure it uses the old names, but that's about it.

PhoenixSword must be a highly respected person. He has the luxury of asking questions and having answers given to him.

For the rest of us, there's www.google.com

What's your problem, anyway? This is a forum - people can ask questions all they want.

Although the reasons for Hasbro insisting on crappy characters like Hi-Tech and Heavy Duty are pretty obvious, even if I'd forgotten them, the problem I see with it is larger than just simply disliking them.

Hasbro should see a GI Joe movie as a chance to create some good figures based on a GOOD movie, not as a mass advertising tool for their current, untried concept of the GI Joe team. Let's face it, Hasbro hasn't had a solid hit with GI Joe since the Eighties. They need fresh blood - someone who can reinvigorate the brand name. I think that would be done best by someone who can tap into the most successful incarnation of GI Joe of all - the first half of RAH. Someone who can bring the best elements from the most successful of all GI Joe incarnations and update them for a contemporary movie audience is the best bet for success, both in terms of the movie and the brand name itself, and any subsequent toys based on it.

The best GI Joe movie will be a mix of the new and the old, and I don't think this script got it. Sure it uses the old names, but that's about it.

but if the script called HD Roadblock and Hi-Tech Mainframe it wouldn't have changed the characters in the movie, just the name. IMO the names of those characters are arbitrary from that standpoint.

also I think you are missing the point that if a Joe moive is made it will undoubtedly attract children who are into the toys now. those children will be far more confused and disappointed by the inclusion of Roadblock and say Mainframe and the absence of of Heavy Duty and Hi-Tech moreso than an adult who remembers playing with the toy (who will be a larger percentage of the audience then us collectors) and remember Roadblock.

this movie must also relate to the current incarnation of G.I. Joe as well. the reasons that G.I. Joe were succesful in the 80's don't particularly pertain to the movie going audience, thus you can't simply duplicate it for a movie. it needs to be updated, which is what this script did. whether it could have done it better is debatable, but it is only a first draft.

but if the script called HD Roadblock and Hi-Tech Mainframe it wouldn't have changed the characters in the movie, just the name. IMO the names of those characters are arbitrary from that standpoint.

also I think you are missing the point that if a Joe moive is made it will undoubtedly attract children who are into the toys now. those children will be far more confused and disappointed by the inclusion of Roadblock and say Mainframe and the absence of of Heavy Duty and Hi-Tech moreso than an adult who remembers playing with the toy (who will be a larger percentage of the audience then us collectors) and remember Roadblock.

this movie must also relate to the current incarnation of G.I. Joe as well. the reasons that G.I. Joe were succesful in the 80's don't particularly pertain to the movie going audience, thus you can't simply duplicate it for a movie. it needs to be updated, which is what this script did. whether it could have done it better is debatable, but it is only a first draft.

That's for sure, but I don't think you're going to convince me that it's necessary to include Hi-Tech and Heavy Duty just because they happen to be in Sigma Six. It's not something that's established anywhere near the point that RAH has been, and I personally don't think that its "fans" if they really exist (sure, kids watch it, but it hasn't been around long enough to garner a "fanbase", nor do I think it's good enough to, but only time will tell), care that much.

You're arguing a reason why they were included, fine - but not a reason why they're NECESSARY. Notwithstanding the fact that you believe it shouldn't/isn't really a kids' movie anyway, those that will watch it will be plenty familiar with Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow and Destro... presumably an actual movie would also include Tunnel Rat, and perhaps Zartan and the Dreadnoks as well. Why placate Sigma Six "fans" with the others, which are pretty lame if you ask me, when there's a wealth of interesting and cool RAH characters that will appeal to adults (ie: the ones with the money). I'm not saying we need Roadblock, and certainly not Mainframe, but there's so many other characters to choose from, having Hi-Tech and Heavy Duty be such a main part of the story is a cop-out, when they've already got enough characters that relate to the current product.