My "Avengers" movie ideas, fleshed out

DSmith

I have some thoughts on how Thor could be introduced in an Avengers movie. It might be cool to have a "Highlander" take on Thor, where Thor is an immortal wandering the earth in disguise for the past 3 or 4 centuries on earth. His backstory could be that he and his brother Loki were the only survivors of Ragnarok, which destroyed their home (dimension?) of Asgard. Loki accidently triggered the event of Ragnarok in one of his schemes to take of Asgard, and he decided to escape to earth with his life when Thor and his fellow Asgardians needed Loki the most to help them make their final stand to save Asgard. Asgard falls and Thor manages to make it to earth, where his only goal in life is to find Loki and kill him for his cowardice and abandoning his fellow Asgardians.

While Thor tries to keep a low profile on earth, he occasionally does superheroic deeds to help out people in need. He reveals himself to the Avengers and helps them out when he sees them struggling against a superpowerful threat (like Ultron). However, most of the Avengers are wary of him and don't buy his story about Asgard. With the exception of Captain America, they tend to think of him as a crazy man with a souped-up hammer (kind of like in the Ultimates comic book). After a conflict with Loki (who creates mischief by siding with some supervillains), Thor earns the trust of the Avengers and decides to stay with the Avengers, who remind him of the heroes and warriors he knew from Asgard.

PharmV

They're interesting ideas, but for me it still comes down to relatability. I have trouble figuring out what characteristics within Thor the audience would relate to. The Avengers I tried to establish, I tried to give them each very human traits where the audience can identify with Warbird's insecurities, or Tony Stark's solitude, or Hawkeye's bravado, Captain America's single focus on heroics instead of his personal life, Scarlet Witch's reactions to the prejudice she faces as a mutant, Synthozoid Vision's search for the meaning of "humanity". All those things would strike a chord with the audience, while I never saw much inner conflict in Thor (correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't pay much attention to him... but it was because I nothing about him ever struck a chord with ME...) or obstacles that he faced. My recollections of Thor are that he was a jovial, good-natured, confident hero who spoke differently.

You took an interesting path in establishing Thor, BUT I still don't see what kind of color or quality he would bring to the team that would set him apart from just any old character. I guess what I mean to say is... I wouldn't want to incorporate Thor just for the sake of incorporating Thor. I'd want Thor to have an important and vital role in the goings-on, and I would even think that it would probably offend the Thor fans if most of the characters in the movie thought of him as "a crazy man with a souped up hammer".

Am I making any sense? I'm not hating on Thor, I just would want to do the character justice, and have him be taken seriously, AND have him be relatable for the audience. Believable in the context of a "real world".

I have some thoughts on how Thor could be introduced in an Avengers movie.

Nice idea! I have been mulling it over a little, and couldn't figure out a good idea for this. To tell you the truth, I kind of forgot that this thread was here for a while. Offline stuff intruding and all that.

Dsmith your ideas on the two different movies are cool as well. I would definitely go see the Operation: Galactic Storm one. And I also agree on the Brood thing. Marvel seems to base a lot of their main villainry/aliens on recent movies of the time hehehe.

Thanks. I kind of like the idea of doing a cosmic movie in the arena of "Aliens" or even "Contact" but with the protagonists being superheroes like the Avengers. It is kind of an original concept for comic book movies. They haven't made the jump into the "blackness of space where no one can hear you scream".

That's also why I'm curious to see if/how the Spiderman franchise would tackle an entity like Venom, with the alien/symbiote costume concept. WOULD the movies still represent Venom as an "alien" or would it be some mad scientist's pet project gone wrong?

DSmith, I think I understand what you're trying to get at. In a sense, Thor is in the same boat as Superman when it comes to audience relatability. I guess it would be hard for the audience to identify with such a powerful character (although Superman has the advantage of his alter ego Clark Kent). As an aside, it will be interesting to see how the new Superman movie handles this issue.

In my take, Thor could be viewed as an immigrant displaced by war who comes to America to find a better future. He is an outsider with an air of nobility about him and a sense of justice. However, his blind pursuit for vengeance makes him forget who he really is. Meeting the Avengers gets Thor to realize the values of justice and valor that he had forgotten. Although he is an outsider, he sees the ideals behind the concept of the Avengers and vows to fight with them to protect earth, lest it meets the same terrible fate as his beloved Asgard.

I tried to play down the "Thunder God" part of Thor in my take, because of the difficulties that this aspect would encounter in the real world. You would have cults springing up to worship Thor as a god (like in the Marvel 2099 comics), and religious groups in an uproar over his very existence. Ultimately, there would be far less complications to deal with if only the Avengers knew who he was and that the rest of the world thought he was just a heroic metahuman with a big hammer.

I have to agree that it would be very difficult to make Thor a believable and respected character on the big screen that audiences could relate to.

PharmV

DSmith, I think I understand what you're trying to get at. In a sense, Thor is in the same boat as Superman when it comes to audience relatability. I guess it would be hard for the audience to identify with such a powerful character (although Superman has the advantage of his alter ego Clark Kent). As an aside, it will be interesting to see how the new Superman movie handles this issue.

In my take, Thor could be viewed as an immigrant displaced by war who comes to America to find a better future. He is an outsider with an air of nobility about him and a sense of justice. However, his blind pursuit for vengeance makes him forget who he really is. Meeting the Avengers gets Thor to realize the values of justice and valor that he had forgotten. Although he is an outsider, he sees the ideals behind the concept of the Avengers and vows to fight with them to protect earth, lest it meets the same terrible fate as his beloved Asgard.

I tried to play down the "Thunder God" part of Thor in my take, because of the difficulties that this aspect would encounter in the real world. You would have cults springing up to worship Thor as a god (like in the Marvel 2099 comics), and religious groups in an uproar over his very existence. Ultimately, there would be far less complications to deal with if only the Avengers knew who he was and that the rest of the world thought he was just a heroic metahuman with a big hammer.

I have to agree that it would be very difficult to make Thor a believable and respected character on the big screen that audiences could relate to.

PharmV

You summed up exactly what I was feeling about Thor. We should try to work him in for installment #4!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've resurrected this thread once or twice................... but with the Iron Man movie having come out and the teaser at the end with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury talking about the Avengers Initiative, I HAD to bring this back to get more feedback on how you think my Avengers trilogy might fly in the theaters.

Anyone have feedback? Other ideas?