RAH Reviews: Capt Grid-Iron & Decimator

Leonardo T Dragon

capgridironpatrol.jpg

You thought were safe from more RAH reviews until Friday, didn't you?

We've got new new reviews courtesy of General Hawk up in the 1990 Review Index! Capt. Grid-Iron and the Cobra Decimator fall under Hawk's scrutiny... but do they survive unscathed? Can even Grid-Iron's steely determination withstand a review?

Check 'em out and then come back on Friday to see the poll winners reviewed! (Right now it's almost a dead heat between Mindbender v2, Shockwave v2, and Big Boa!

Nice. I like him all black.

Anyone else think he looks like Thunder? Or maybe it's just me.

Maybe a little... I agree about the black though. Looks great.

It's tragic, almost, how almost all the later figures were ruined by the paint they used. It's as if everyone at Hasbro went blind around '89 or so.

It's tragic, almost, how almost all the later figures were ruined by the paint they used. It's as if everyone at Hasbro went blind around '89 or so.

@loll@

So true, but I think it may have happened even before that (Spearhead). ;)

@loll@

So true, but I think it may have happened even before that (Spearhead ;) ).

Yeah, I agree. I mean, even Sci-Fi, during the "golden years", was pretty badly coloured. I can forgive that one for nostalgia's sake, but it got worse in '87, and worse again in '88, and so on, and so on.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, even Sci-Fi, during the "golden years", was pretty badly coloured. I can forgive that one for nostalgia's sake, but it got worse in '87, and worse again in '88, and so on, and so on.

I always accepted Sci-Fi's colors...I mean, he's a Laser Trooper...he's supposed to be flashy. Heck, even Zandar and Zarana were a little out there, but it fit their characters.

We got into '87, where we had characters like Fast Draw and Psyche-Out, who were fashion train-wrecks for no reason. A year later, it got worse with Lightfoot, Spearhead, and Voltar...and when I was little, it seemed like every kid I knew had these characters but no one ever wanted to play with them. @lol@ Then, in 1989, we were introduced to Deejay (who, unknown to many of us at the time, would become what seemed to be the standard for GI Joe beyond 1990), Downtown, Scoop (who was nothing more than a Lightfoot clone with a different purpose), and even the beloved Alley Viper. Surprisingly, 1990 didn't really have any strange color schemes, and actually seemed to be returning to more military styled figures. The one great thing about all of these years was no matter how outlandish the paint schemes on the figures got, the weapons always stayed in scale, and save a few, most of them were done in decent colors.

Then 1991 hit, and hasbro went whacko for the next three years after that. Neon-galore...huge, clumsy-looking, spring-loaded weapons...strange specialty teams...very few new characters/molds...it got really ugly. I dunno, maybe 1990 was a bad year for GI Joe sales, and Hasbro thought that it was their lack of any crazy-colored figures, so they went with what they thought kids would want. For me though, 1991 killed GI Joe for me as a kid. Even now, my vintage collection doesn't go beyond 1990.

EDIT - Wow...that's scary. I hadn't read the review of Grid-Iron when I posted this. I just read it and noticed I pretty much said a lot of the same things the review talked about. @loll@ I do disagree with him on Grid-Iron being too bright, and that his accessories sucked. I actually like his color scheme and think his accessories are what made the figure.

BTW - Grid-Iron, along with V1 Low-Light are the only figures I've ever payed that little bit extra to get MOC. ;)

I always accepted Sci-Fi's colors...I mean, he's a Laser Trooper...he's supposed to be flashy. Heck, even Zandar and Zarana were a little out there, but it fit their characters.

We got into '87, where we had characters like Fast Draw and Psyche-Out, who were fashion train-wrecks for no reason. A year later, it got worse with Lightfoot, Spearhead, and Voltar...and when I was little, it seemed like every kid I knew had these characters but no one ever wanted to play with them. @lol@ Then, in 1989, we were introduced to Deejay (who, unknown to many of us at the time, would become what seemed to be the standard for GI Joe beyond 1990), Downtown, Scoop (who was nothing more than a Lightfoot clone with a different purpose), and even the beloved Alley Viper. Surprisingly, 1990 didn't really have any strange color schemes, and actually seemed to be returning to more military styled figures. The one great thing about all of these years was no matter how outlandish the paint schemes on the figures got, the weapons always stayed in scale, and save a few, most of them were done in decent colors.

Then 1991 hit, and hasbro went whacko for the next three years after that. Neon-galore...huge, clumsy-looking, spring-loaded weapons...strange specialty teams...very few new characters/molds...it got really ugly. I dunno, maybe 1990 was a bad year for GI Joe sales, and Hasbro thought that it was their lack of any crazy-colored figures, so they went with what they thought kids would want. For me though, 1991 killed GI Joe for me as a kid. Even now, my vintage collection doesn't go beyond 1990.

EDIT - Wow...that's scary. I hadn't read the review of Grid-Iron when I posted this. I just read it and noticed I pretty much said a lot of the same things the review talked about. @loll@ I do disagree with him on Grid-Iron being too bright, and that his accessories sucked. I actually like his color scheme and think his accessories are what made the figure.

BTW - Grid-Iron, along with V1 Low-Light are the only figures I've ever payed that little bit extra to get MOC. ;)

Man, you're preaching to the converted, my friend. Someone mentioned on the Yojoe forums that they'd like to see everything from '82-'86 reissued. I would have too, before I started my vintage collection, but now I'd like to do one better. I'd like to see everything from the SECOND half of RAH reissued, with all the original accessories and stuff, but in colour schemes that reflect the original spirit of GI Joe, and none of the crazy bright/neon paint jobs.

I still don't have an original Sci Fi, and I will sooner or later, but I still think a more subdued reissue would be nice. Something similar to what they did with the Wetsuit figure a few years back - more tactical, know what I mean?

I definitely like all your reviews so far. Which Shockwave will be on the Friday poll, the Night Force version or the DEF version? Technically, the Night Force version is version two, but some people think the DEF is version two since it's a new mold.

Crap! You're right! It's technically V3 then as I am one of those unfortunate souls who doesn't (yet) own the Night Force version.

Unfortunately, I can't find my Mindbender fig right now (I've literally looked EVERYWHERE) so he'll have to get delayed until a future week.

I'll have to come up with some more "offbeat" choices for this week's poll.

I definitely can't wait to see your DEF Shockwave review then. He's my favorite figure of all time and deserves plenty of praise, since Shockwave hasn't had a single bad version.

That is a real good figure, but i've always preferred Shockwave's first figure from 1988. The awesome Urban-camo, the mask, and his unique look just made him one of the best from that year. He remains one of my favorite Joes ever.

Nice Reviews for Grid-Iron and Decimator. Sure the Captain's got a truly bizarre gimmick, but i actually dig those football grenades, hehe. All of his accessories are actually quite cool though. I really can't say i dislike this figure because it wasn't until later that the '90s gave us some more questionable gimmicks with the Joes (ECO Warriors, Ninja Force, Star Brigade). Still there were some decent figures in the '90s from other series like (Battle Corps, D.E.F., and Air Commandos).

I never knew what Decimator looked like until i saw this review and i think he looks awesome. When i was a kid i had the Cobra BUGG and not the Hammerhead. I think Decimator is an all around much better figure than the guy that came with the BUGG, Secto-Viper(ehh, his yellow suit did nothing for me). I really like Decimator's harpoon-like weapon and the helmet. With the helmet on he almost resembles the Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica show, very cool.

Grid-Iron should be inducted into the CFB.

Ohhh...I boo you on that. @lol@

Guest McBragg

Decimator is cool. Hard to get. I notice a few customs used his parts, which is incredible that someone would waste a hard to find figure. but to each his own.

Hasbro's got this mold, release it. since decimator never appears in the comic, he should be in a cobra navy 6 pack with eels or lampreys...or just make it all 6 decimators!