How many of you guys collect vintage stuff?

DPrime

Among Joe collectors, vintage stuff is big. A lot of guys, myself included, still think the first half of the RAH years were the best, and nothing Hasbro has done has equalled it yet. Now of course, GI Joe had the added benifit of "super-articulation" long before other lines, like Star Wars, had it, but that aside, it seems like most people here are into the new stuff.

So how many of you have vintage collections, either complete or in progress? (Post some pics if you do!)

Among Joe collectors, vintage stuff is big. A lot of guys, myself included, still think the first half of the RAH years were the best, and nothing Hasbro has done has equalled it yet. Now of course, GI Joe had the added benifit of "super-articulation" long before other lines, like Star Wars, had it, but that aside, it seems like most people here are into the new stuff.

So how many of you have vintage collections, either complete or in progress? (Post some pics if you do!)

@lol@

I had already set up GI Joe as an example when I read the title of this thread, and was gonna go on about how great the old Joe's were compared to the new, and how Star Wars is the exact opposite...then I read your post, and the replies, and felt unoriginal. :( @lol@

i have my old figures i played with and some sealed that my parents kept to send to my cousins in peru but never did, so they are mine now. GI joe same thing i have the ones i played with, and a couple sealed here and there.

as far as the new stuff I buy the SW stuff and Gijoe I just started buying the DTC stuff cuz they remind me of the RAH line, everything between pretty much sucked in my opinion

@lol@

I had already set up GI Joe as an example when I read the title of this thread, and was gonna go on about how great the old Joe's were compared to the new, and how Star Wars is the exact opposite...then I read your post, and the replies, and felt unoriginal. :( @lol@

Hehe, yeah, it's true though, eh? I mean, GI Joe was decades before its time in terms of articulation (look how long it took for SW to catch up?), and I don't care what anyone says, I still love the sculpts. For the most part, they're still better than the new stuff (although there are notable exceptions) in terms of sculpting as well as articulation, in my opinion.

I don't think most of the old stuff is really worth it any more compared to the new ...

Yeah, again, exactly what we're talking about. I still think they're "worth it", though, in terms of nostalgia. I mean, you just can't beat an army of VOTC Stormies, but you know what? The only other version I'd consider collecting are the originals. I don't have any interest in getting any of the ones that came in between...

And Hamsterboy... that really sucks man! I don't know what else to say...

Well, I still have all of my 'vintage' stuff, figs, vehicles, etc. ;) I started collecting moc figs in the early/mid 90's, and I bought a few vintage figs (iirc, POTF B-Wing Pilot, Leia poncho, Biker Scout, and one of the animated Ewoks) ; nothing too expensive, just a few to say I had. Then came POTF2... <_>

I want to get the Boba and Yoda but haven't got the chance to yet. And maybe the Slave-1. But thats about it for me for vintage S.W.

I sold all my vintage figs and ships so that I could "re-collect" them MOC and in the box. So far I've only got Nikto. This will get expensive, but I'm in no rush. I'll probably wait about another year to get most of them on ebay. As the Star Wars craze dies down there will be a lot less bidders.

I don't think most of the old stuff is really worth it any more compared to the new ...

Yeah, again, exactly what we're talking about. I still think they're "worth it", though, in terms of nostalgia. I mean, you just can't beat an army of VOTC Stormies, but you know what? The only other version I'd consider collecting are the originals. I don't have any interest in getting any of the ones that came in between...

And Hamsterboy... that really sucks man! I don't know what else to say...

Yea for that reason sure, I could see shelling out for a fave charecter or something, but other wise most are not worth the price if they are worth anything at all...

CLones and such I can see wanting as well

Well, I still have all of my 'vintage' stuff, figs, vehicles, etc. ;) I started collecting moc figs in the early/mid 90's, and I bought a few vintage figs (iirc, POTF B-Wing Pilot, Leia poncho, Biker Scout, and one of the animated Ewoks) ; nothing too expensive, just a few to say I had. Then came POTF2... <_<

Yea , the ships and things like ewoks and troopers and droids allmost fit in with about any of the new stuff, how ever are not really worth paying for unless you allready have em I still say :)

I sold all my vintage figs and ships so that I could "re-collect" them MOC and in the box. So far I've only got Nikto. This will get expensive, but I'm in no rush. I'll probably wait about another year to get most of them on ebay. As the Star Wars craze dies down there will be a lot less bidders.

I agree. Star Wars needs to go "underground" a little, and get rid of most of the nerds and fanboy-types (not that they'll ever get rid of ALL of them, but it didn't seem like there were as many before TPM came out).

I think I may start getting a few loose mint ones once I'm done with the GI Joe stuff, but that may take a LONG while...

How many of you "guys"? In this politically correct world, isn't that a little...ah, who we kidding.

I guess everyone has a different definition of vintage. For me, I have most of the Super Powers, but I am missing some of the more expensive ones out there. I would love to get a few of the characters I like from the Mego world, including Aquaman, Green Arrow, Tarzan and The Thing, but, to get them in the very good to mint condition, bucks would have to be shelled out. The other I'd one day like to grab is the Steve Austin Six Million Dollar Man doll. A classic. Red jump suit. Cloth socks. Roll up plastic on the arm to expose the bionics. Two other favorites of mine was Steel from the Big Jim line. Bald head, Tattoo on the chest. Steel hand. An early version of Gung Ho? The other is Atomic Man from the old Joe line. Those Joes were really cool back then, but my dad would get so pi$$ed off at me for shaving their beards off with his electric razor.