What set would you come up with...

DPrime

Just an idea... since MC has been creating kind of a little controversy with the recent set, what would you come up with?

I'm not a customizer, so my ideas will probably be rather simple and not involve a lot of frankensteining. I was thinking that given the price they ask, they could remold the TRU Infantry parts that were seemingly lost in China. I would go the route they went with the 2002 set - 12 of the same army-builders instead of six. I'd call the set "Cobra Shadow Infantry" and they'd be all black, with red logos. They'd have rank insignia, and the Cobra infantry logo - two would be sergeants, and there'd also be an extra one with a silver logo who'd be the officer.

The other two figures I'm not too sure about... I'd probably keep them Cobra, though, and try to do characters we haven't seen in the sets yet. I was thinking it'd be kind of ambitious, but doable, to try and combine Mindbender's head with a somewhat more appropriate body for field work, or maybe repaint Voltar or Darklon (although I don't know if I'd want the Destro element in it). The overall theme of the set would be dark grey and black colours, highlighted by silver or red logos where appropriate.

The vehicle would be a HISS II done in traditional HISS black.

Simple, yet effective. After all, the 2002 was probably the best one yet, and it was the simplest, which is what I'd go for.

Mine would be Operation: Sea Serpent

GI Joe is sent to investigate reportings of "sea monsters" only to discover a Cobra Team lead by (insert obscure Cobra Character/mold here maybe Cesspool?).

Set would consist of a Joe marine team composed of Shipwreck, Deep Six (using his 89 mold), Wet Suit (92 mold) and Depthcharge (repainted 86 Wetsuit mold).

Cobra forces would be:

Named/officer Cobra (my preference would be Cesspool)

4x Lampreys

4x Eels (using whatever mold is available, likely the 92 in more traditional colors)

Set vehicle would be the old Sharc, with a couple wave crushers (or Devilfish if available).

Attendee special would be a a grey and blue (classic Lamprey) colored Hydrofoil FOR COBRA

To be honest DPrime, I think your set is EXTREMELY boring. And while it would be an instant sell out, I would much rather get some variety of old molds like in MARS or this year's set, rather than pay MC prices on such an unoriginal set

I go with a "Drugs R Us" theme...

1 Headman

4 Headhunters(different paint apps)

1 Gristle

6 HeadHunter Stormtroopers

I'd have a exclusive vehicle for them... some type of troop-ish transport that hasn't been used in a while like the Parasite

then maybe a repainted Ferret ATV

both in matching colors...

Of course we'd need to fight these drug lords.. so there'd be a exclusive 6 pack of Joes using some of the DEF figures heck, maybe even some of the mega marines... and give them a cool vehicle like the Cobra rage or better yet.. a repainted R.H.I.N.O. I know.. it juuust came out, but it's an awesome vehicle.

I'd also make one generic looking troop for the bad guys and one for the good guys.. maybe a Barracade body with a masked head for the Joes and some random Viper hoddgepodged together painted up like the Druggies are... you know how just about every con you go to has a baggie of coodies they give you when you get there? Well, I'd randomly put one of these two figures in those baggies... so everyone that goes to the con, gets a free figure..

To be honest DPrime, I think your set is EXTREMELY boring. And while it would be an instant sell out, I would much rather get some variety of old molds like in MARS or this year's set, rather than pay MC prices on such an unoriginal set

Yeah, maybe so, but people would army-build 'em like crazy. I see your point, but I'd still like to see these - however, it might be better if Hasbro just mass-produced them in six-packs instead.

I suppose to dress it up a bit, you could have maybe six "Blackshirts" and six other troops... maybe TARGATs or HEAT Vipers in better colours. I'd still go with black though... Mastercollector is treading on dangerous, brightly coloured ground with that green they're using for the latest one. It's not quite AS bad, but it does harken back to when the line got a bit silly in the late eighties and early nineties. I'd rather see a return to simple, effective paint schemes, like they did with the red Vipers.

I was also trying to think of a way to make a cool-looking Raptor... maybe replace his body with something, take off the hat (but keep the head) and have him come with a repainted Cobra CLAW with eagle details...

Interesting ideas...

Personally I don't disagree with the ideas that MasterCollector has been introducing. I simply have a bit of a problem with their execution. In 2002 they came out with the Crimson Strike Team set, which was arguably their best. I have not problems with that set. Next was Operation Anacondo. I simply didn't care much for either the characters or the storyline, and it remains the only set I have not purchased and do not intend on purchasing. Escapades in the Everglades was not only a nice idea, but I liked having a couple more dreadnoks enter the fray, as well as introducing a 'dreadnok flunky' in the form of the dreadheads, something I could army build as a generic rowdy meant to bolster their numbers. MARS invades was my personal favorite since it involved destro and had good design. My only problem with this was the increasing flaws in the figures, which I also noticed in the Dreadnok set a year earlier. This year shows promise as well. Two mercenary groups, plus the possiblity of a few new Renegades for Sgt. Slaughter (the Slaughterhouse is a training ground, and it said in the filecard of the coil troopers that some of them were washouts of his program, so maybe he'll have a couple trainees on hand when the attack comes), plus this mystery figure from South America who should be revealed by the end of the week. How good this set is will ultimately be determined when we get the sets, of course.

As for my own idea for a set, my own preference had been a Destro themed set, which they in fact did last year, so they hit my big wish. Here's a thought though, which is a bit less relevant now that the comic 3-packs have come out. If it involved a bit more than frankensteining it might be interesting to see a re-release of the entire original Joe team. There were thirteen Joes originally, so there would be enough space for all of them plus two more (maybe General Flagg and Cobra Commander?). Just a thought.

Rise of the B.A.T.S.

Overkill- New robotic mode, non of that human head crap in VvV

4 Version 1 1986 bats repainted with original accessories

3 Version 2 1991 bats repainted with original accessories

2 Space BAAT remolded with new swivel arms, body and legs.

GIJOE con figures-

Mainframe

Repeater

Shipwreck

Vehicles-

Cobra RAGE

Cobra Snake ARMOR

H.A.V.O.C

Well, they kind of introduced part of my still-favorite Con-set idea...

Cobra Civil War set still needs to be done.. So, Serpentor with 4 Fast Blast Vipers, Cobra Commander with four Shock Vipers, and Destro with four IG's... But since all three of them have seen use recently, I'm going to go with a new idea.

Now I have to think! Grr! :)

And I love this years set. I think last years set was the best, but that's dueto my love of the V4 Viper...

I do like the idea of Headman, Gristle, 5 Head Hunters, 5 Head Hunter Storm Troopers, and three "DEF Joes." Best DEF folks would be DEF Law, Bullet-Proof, and fan-favorite Shockwave. :)

-Kevin

Pretty cool topic...honestly I have a bunch of stuff in mind. But primarilly:

Operation: Action Force

COBRA has branched into International waters, bringing their terrorist activities to Europe, teaming up with the insidious Red Shadows organization. Red Laser has taken advantage of the situation, and is teaming up with COBRA to try and gain secret control of the European parliament. Only G.I. Joe's European Division "Action Force" can hope to stop them before they go too far.

3 Joes:

Quarrel (Either comic pack Scarlett in Quarrel colors, or an amalgamation of female parts)

Hunter (TRU COBRA Infantry in black and silver, or again, anotehr interesting amalgamation; Undertow head, generic infantry body in black and silver?)

Blades (NOT a Tripwire repaint, but a more interesting combination of later year parts)

12 COBRAs

Red Laser (Amalgamation of later year COBRA parts in red/silver, and yellow)

Red Jackyl (Chromed Destro head, amalgamation of other parts...possible relation to the American Destro?)

Black Major (Amalgamation of parts)

9 Red Shadows (Again, an amalgamation of later year COBRA parts in red)

These Red Shadows would have ZERO link to the Devil's Due storyline...mostly I'd just like to get some stateside recognition of the very cool Action Force related figures...

Vehicle exclusives could be the American stuff repainted in "Z-Force" colors (black and yellow) or Red-themed COBRA vehicles for the Red Shadow army.

Justin

Pretty cool topic...honestly I have a bunch of stuff in mind. But primarilly:

Operation: Action Force

COBRA has branched into International waters, bringing their terrorist activities to Europe, teaming up with the insidious Red Shadows organization. Red Laser has taken advantage of the situation, and is teaming up with COBRA to try and gain secret control of the European parliament. Only G.I. Joe's European Division "Action Force" can hope to stop them before they go too far.

3 Joes:

Quarrel (Either comic pack Scarlett in Quarrel colors, or an amalgamation of female parts)

Hunter (TRU COBRA Infantry in black and silver, or again, anotehr interesting amalgamation; Undertow head, generic infantry body in black and silver?)

Blades (NOT a Tripwire repaint, but a more interesting combination of later year parts)

12 COBRAs

Red Laser (Amalgamation of later year COBRA parts in red/silver, and yellow)

Red Jackyl (Chromed Destro head, amalgamation of other parts...possible relation to the American Destro?)

Black Major (Amalgamation of parts)

9 Red Shadows (Again, an amalgamation of later year COBRA parts in red)

These Red Shadows would have ZERO link to the Devil's Due storyline...mostly I'd just like to get some stateside recognition of the very cool Action Force related figures...

Vehicle exclusives could be the American stuff repainted in "Z-Force" colors (black and yellow) or Red-themed COBRA vehicles for the Red Shadow army.

Justin

I second this set.I'd add Baron Ironblood to the set for one of the named villians.

Baron Ironblood

Black Major

Red Jackel

6 of one kind of Red Shadow troop

6 of another Red Shadow troop

I Like the original 13 idea. After that is done I would do cobra

I'd love an original 13 set... just tweak the comic-pack figures a little - recast missing parts (like torsos), use the comic-pack heads, and paint 'em in darker, more realistic green and you'd have a hit.

I also love the Action Force idea...

no one would like my idea, cause it would be new sculpt lol!

I'd just go with wave 7 vipers (half w half w/o cobra symbols) on sale in single baggies

I think the problem with these sets is their price! i'd desperatly lower their price by shrinking the exlusives in the set. I would offer 2 "Preveiw figs" with exculisve paint schemes. Molds hasbro intends to release in the next year but in either olive drab or urban camo schemes. packed with an exculisve Frankeinstin to make a rah era character in new sculpt form. Like quick kick and throw in a single cobra frakenstein like. vvv Overkill with the unproduced attachements a clear form.

Although I like MC's sets, I feel their RAH figures are so good it's a bad idea to include any troops in these sets because it's so frustrating you can't army build them because their so expensive.

So I would like a set that is mainly COBRA, but is entirely unique character dominated. A collection of COBRA leaders, generals, lieutenants and other hired guns. All the figures would of course be RAH sculpts, with some frankensteined ones for the characters who never had figures for:

Lineup:

(using original molds)

Darklon

Big Boa

Croc Master

Zandar

Gristle

Dice

Copperhead

Sky Creeper

Wild Weasel

Blackstar

Cesspool

(using Frankenstein molds)

Dr. Knox

Aleph, Night Creeper Leader

Dr. Venom

Ghost Bear

A two pack of non-COBRA villains (both Frankenstein molds of course):

Baron Ironblood

Sei-Tin

The Joes would be either ex-COBRA members or spies working within COBRA's ranks:

Mercer

Chameleon

Scoop

Vehicles:

C.L.A.W. Glider (x2, since it's so small)

Stinger

Razorback

The set is called 'COBRA ROGUES GALLERY'. The theme would be that a number of ex-employees of COBRA from throughout the organization's history have banded together in the pursuit of wresting control from COBRA Commander. The Joes become aware of this impending civil war within COBRA and so they dispatch the three members of the their own organization who have spent the most amount of time in the enemy's camp.

Although I like MC's sets, I feel their RAH figures are so good it's a bad idea to include any troops in these sets because it's so frustrating you can't army build them because their so expensive.

You just received my nomination for understatement of the year. I do love some of those sets and that's my biggest problem--how to army build expensive figures when you don't have an enormous wallet.

I loved last years set, so I made sure I got them, although it hurt. I also wanted to get a few of the other items outside of the box set, but after buying the box set I didn't have enough left. Because of that I was forced to sit by while the Cobra Blue Moray and Sky Hawks were bought out. I still haven't (and might never) purchase the Steel Brigade sets because I can't justify army building figures that cost that much per figure. When it cost that much per figure for an army builder, they might as well have called them 'Gold Brigade'.

I liked this year's mercenaries idea when I heard it, but don't think I can go very far with it. I'll buy one box set and hope that the 2 and 3 figure sets are individuals as opposed to army builders. If these same figs were being sold individually or in 6-packs at TRU for the going rate, I would buy far more.

I got an idea for one:

Now you See Me, Now You Don't!

After years of Cobra strongholds being foiled by GIJoe, Cobra Commander is in dire need of a new cobra base that is untouchable by the Joes. CC comes up with the perfect plan: build a Cobra base out of a Cuban port. CC knows that American troops on Cuban soil will not be an issue. Cobra makes a deal with General SeDienta, a corrupt Cuban general and sends Darklon (This guy really needs some good exposure) to Cuba to lead the venture. When General Hawk gets wind of this, he can't officially send joes down there so he allows three joes to go off the record who specailize in keeping their presence unnoticable.

All figures and vehicles in woodland camo

Joes: -HitNRun

-Outback

-Recondo v1

Cobra: -Darklon

-Diego Sangre SeDienta (Colonel Courage mold)

-10 Cobra Infantry troopers

Vehicles: -Outpost Defender=Attendees vehicle

-Cobra Bunker=for sale

-Flight Pod=for sale