UnCon 2006 Figure # 1 Budo

Alyosha

Well, it took me a day longer than I anticipated, but here are the product level pics, and item information. All questions should be answered in the following text body, but if not just PM me and I'll get back with you ASAP.

For those who do not know, the UnCon (Unofficial Convention) figures came about due to last years very vocal disagreement with Brian Savage of Mastercollector. In one of many emails we exchanged over it, Brian challenged me to "make my own, if I didn't care for the way they did business/product" so I am. I want to say thanks to Brian publicly, because if he hadn't been so rude to me about it, this project probably wouldn't have come about. This is a joint project between myself, a popular parts maker (Master Gunzz), and a couple of guys who are helping with accs and filecard design (Tuatha and Marauder John), so any thanks or praise should be directed to them as well. Now, on to the brass-tacks:

"Budo, Female COBRA Soldier, and Crimson Guard Commando will be available in a limited edition of 50 figures per character. Once those 50 are sold, the molds will be retired and not used again except to replace any parts that might possibly break on a trade out basis only and for a small fee. The Crimson Guard Commando will be offered again later, but he will be a significant variation from the one available for this project.

The figures will include all their gear and accs, and will come with a new filecard and new artwork. If there is time, they will include an all new cardback done in the DTC style. Each one is cast in the base part colors to prevent any paint rubs in the usual areas, with handpainted details and a sturdy clearcoat to protect your investment. That being said, these are fan made pieces, and should be treated accordingly. All handguns and rifles will supplied by Marauder Inc. from his new series 2.

The first 15 copies of each figure will be made available to those who cannot attend the convention on a first come, first served basis. None of these fiigures will be delivered until the Convention or mailed out after in the proper cases. Payment is via Paypal only, and there are no reservations. First class mail is included in this price for those who reserve their figures. You may upgrade with Delivery Confirmation or Insurance at your costs.

The costs for each figure are $65 each, which includes weapons, gear, and a filecard. Basic postage is also included in that total if your are not able to attend in person.

For more pics, pre-payments or questions, I may be reached at gijoe_hit_n_run@yahoo.com . "

And the final pics ( please note that the sword pictured with the figure is NOT the actual piece you will receive, the actual sword & scababrd are brand new sculpted parts):

Budo_4panel.jpg

Budo_helmet.jpg

Budo_weapons.jpg

Budo_bpack.jpg

Budo_action_frt.jpg

Budo_action_iso.jpg

Budo_action_lt.jpg

I should have mroe detailed pics of the sword and scabbard within a couple of days so please keep checking back:

Budo_sword_WIP.jpg

Also, if Hasbro lawyers try to stop this project with one of their fancy C&D letters, then expect to get this guy with a shiny brand new name. And for those who inevitably will say "A Samurai wouldn't have a gun..." I counter by saying that he is a "Modern Samurai Soldier" and, yes he would. @smilepunch@

that is outstanding. simply outstanding.

I wonder if Hasbro still has the rights to the name. seems like it woul dbe a weird one to have held onto ocnsidering all the others they let go. you may be safe.

Very cool Aly! He turned out really well.

Great work Al ! I would love to support you by buying the figure. But don't think the wife would approve the purchase. I think its a fair price.

Heh....kind of cool.

Though I gotta question how you get on Brian for designing half-ass figures (which I fell are very well done) and charging $20-30 apiece for them, and you want $65 for this guy.

Not trying to start a war here. Just seems a little weird for me.

Im with you on the collector club stuff being overpriced and not looking to good, and this figure is nice looking but not $68 nice looking. Sorry there isn't a 3 3/4" figure out there (minus maybe some moc vintage) worth that kind of money, especially a custom.

In reverse order:

Buck, thanks!

Draven- I totally understand. Unfortunately, these aren't going to be cheap given the individual time, and labor involved. I'm glad you like the look involved, and appreciate the work. Like that Sterling Silver sword he has in the pics, it ain't for everyone.

Flint- I do understand your veiw, but I think your missing the point here. This is not a mass-manufactured figure, that is printed in the 1,000 piece range by guys in China who make .06 a day, made with molds that have been paid for for almost 20 years. This is a fan-made, hand painted, fan produced piece, which you will not ever have the chance of owning from anywhere else, and is limited to just 50 copies. The amount of time, co-ordination, and personal expense on these necessitates the price (which my customs usually sell at anyway). I'd love to be able to sell these for $25 a piece because I'd do so much more in volume that it'd be worth it, but as it stands my limited time (and for that matter everyone elses) has got to be worth it. I do not do this for a living (I wish I could), and so it must be this way. If it makes you feel any better, about 1/3rd of the costs are going to help produce next years sets.

The reason I call Brian to task is that he is trying to sell to the community with little or no input from that community, and believe me when I say he does so with more than a little scorn. I also say "half-assed" because they are working with parts which will (almost w/o exception) all interchange, and they continue to make these borderline bland pieces. Look at a classic franken-joe like Claymore....Hasbro made that figure with a different figure part from 5 different figure molds and it looks totally unique. I expect the same thing from a company that claims to be "run by fans, for the fans", and wants to charge a premium for those figures, but maybe that's too much. That's not to mention paying the extremely high markup for a BOX that most collector's have been extremely vocal in saying they DO not want, or desire to pay for. Ignoring the desires of your target buyer is going to generate (at the very least) contraversy and at the most outright villification.

A recent point is the issue over Brian's public statement that the upcomingJungle 2pack would not be Troop Builder. Rather than admit that he misunderstood or mis-interpreted the general consensus meaning of the words, they did a little spin-control and gave thes obivously no-face troops a personal name. To my mind, and in my opinion, that does not demonstrate a desire to "do right by the fans".

I'll close my short rant by saying that I appreciate that you think that the figure is cool, and warranted comment, and I'm also glad that you like the product that MC puts out, but I for one will continue to hold them to a higher standard and will continue to complain when they don't hit it.

Jeff- I'll site the same reasons for the price as listed above. I understand your reluctance to pay that much, but I thought the extra step of having the parts cast in the proper base colors to allow for pretty much full play would off-set that somewhat. And not to argue, but I have a difference of opinion on your statement about "there isn't a 3 3/4" figure out there (minus maybe some moc vintage) worth that kind of money". The point of fact on the RAH line is that it's old, and it's not getting any easier to find so price will always be dictacted by demand ultimately. It's a hard lesson that I've learned myself over time.

NW- Being a 2 time divorcee', I can appreciate your delicate situation. Thanks for the kind words, and be sure you tell her you want it as an early Christmas present! ;)

Ig- No, there really is no limit. I figured that the price would be a pretty big inhibitor for buying multiples, but if you've got the extra cash to spend then I will accomodate you. Thanks!

CSR- Thanks buddy!

Blazer- I can't read Japanese, but to my understanding the Kanji are the same as were inscribed on the sword Tom Cruise used in the Last Samurai: "I belong to the warrior in whom the ways of the East and the West meet".

BS- Thanks Bro! My offer still stands if you want to take a drive from Lone Grove, and hitch a ride with me to New Orleans. Hope to see you there!

While there have been a few negative comments about the figure and project as a whole, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their support so far and wait until you see what's next!

Heh....kind of cool.

Though I gotta question how you get on Brian for designing half-ass figures (which I fell are very well done) and charging $20-30 apiece for them, and you want $65 for this guy.

Not trying to start a war here. Just seems a little weird for me.

it's really not the same thing, MC doesnt sculpt new figures they choose molds to frankenstien together, and pick the paint scheme they are painted. and they do it on a much larger scale. if MC were to make this figure in a run of 50 it would cost like $500 or more,

i think al's price is a resonable one,

However...i have to question his choice of "budo" while i like budo and his version kicks major ass! i think the Female COBRA Soldier, and Crimson Guard Commando will do better then ol budo here! because gijoe collectors are cheap, it takes bad guys to make em' shell out the big bucks! and i dont think the budo character has enough oommff (sp?) behind him to sell at $65 even though i think its worth every penny!

TM

The figure looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see the others. I understand why they cost so much but, unfortunately, I can't justify the expense. Still, good luck with these. They'll make a great addition to any collection.

Aly, might I suggest instead of tryingto Card it.. cause I think that would make the Hasbro layers eagerr to go after you... use something like this:

cc5.jpg

If you do decide to go with the carded ones, I'd stay away from putting anything GI Joe related on it, like the Logo, names and what not...

maybe you can draw up something with your Name ALYOSHA like the GI JOE used to be.. with the star and stripes and everything.. then have a drawing of the figure and then maybe a sticker or something stating it's the Un-con exclusive, then #so-and-so out of 50 on it ;)

Aly man, I do really love it and there is no question there should be no comparision to the MC's stuff. Your stuff is much better and also takes much more time and effort like you said.

Draven