What other "military type stuff" are you into?

DPrime

Just a thought... GI Joe has always seemed apart from the rest of the collectors' world. You hardly ever see it mentioned in mags like Toyfare (although they have been recently), and a lot of "toy collectors" don't seem to be into 'em all that much. I get the impression that more people who are into the GI Joe stuff consider themselves "GI Joe collectors" more so than "toy collectors" in general.

Anyway, I was thinking about it lately because a few years ago when I was teaching in Korea I bought a whole crapload of 1/35 scale military model kits because they were dirt cheap (something that would cost $40 US would be about the equivalent of 10 or 15 over there), and just kind of put them away in boxes when I got home. Recently I've been getting back into the hobby, and am in the process of putting together an M1A2 Abrams tank in Iraq. I was always kind of into this, on and off, as a kid - it was quite similar to getting a GI Joe toy, what with putting it together and adding accessories, etc.

The only other toylines I collect are a few of the Star Wars figures and LEGO stuff, and Transformers reissues. The TF stuff is mostly a retro/aesthetic attraction for me, but the part about Star Wars stuff that I really liked, as far as collecting goes, was the military-oriented stuff (the SW universe has a very military feel, in terms of design and content, compared with something like Star Trek for example).

I also happen to be in the military, so obviously this is a big interest for me. I was wondering if any other Joe collectors are sort of interested in military stuff as a whole. You know, like history, plastic models, maybe even stuff like collecting real firearms or into the whole reinactment thing.

I've thought seriously about collecting some of bbi's 21st Century Extreme Detail figures and vehicles, along with Sideshow's 12-inch military figures. I just can't seem to slow down on Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Transformers long enough to really collect anything else. But I love bbi's new 3-3/4 figure construction, and I'd love to have their 1:18 scale Apache and various aircraft. Some tanks, too... (lol)

I like and enjoy GIJoe as a whole, which means I like the toys and I like the comics and cartoons. I collect for nostalgic resons and it makes me happy. I don't think I collect them for their military aspect only. I like their stories a lot. I love their original stories from the Marvel run and those are very military, they use and illustrate a lot of military tactics and movements. If I only enjoyed them for military reasons I would be more into the BBI figures which look very realistic, but Im not. I do collect other toylines like some StarWars Legos, and a lot of Transformers, but mostly a hell of a lot of GIJoe. Cool topic by the way. OH, and I own no real life guns.

I have and still collect 12" military figures. I have a extensive library of books on military themes, notably counter-terror and special forces. I used to be something of a SAS ( Special Air Service) afficianado, and I keep an eye open for news and stories on them and Canada's JTF-2.

I still occasionally find time to build a military themed model kit--- usually something from Tamiya or Dragon. I play military themed computer games, like Ghost Recon.

I was born in the era when the military was still respected and considered REAL hero's (1962) and just before the whole Vietnam thing put a damper on even the original 12" G.I.Joe I loved so much, and guys like John Wayne or Dirty Harry became dirty words.

Bad Soldier/bad cop! <_<

I have massive MASSIVE respect for our military and law enforcement, and I'm just one of the kooky individuals that still wants to have "hero's" and people to look up to, who will protect us from the "bad" guys.

Nowadays....you can't even define what or WHO the "bad" guy is...as they might get their feelings hurt and feel oppressed and single out unfairly by society.

Dr. Phil is the only role model we're suppose to look up to these days, him or Oprah! :rolleyes:

That being explained....I'm just a sucker for my old war toys and military hero's and G.I.Joe still fits the bill (sorta) but fading fast, with recent efforts in shifting it's theme.

I have and still collect 12" military figures. I have a extensive library of books on military themes, notably counter-terror and special forces. I used to be something of a SAS ( Special Air Service) afficianado, and I keep an eye open for news and stories on them and Canada's JTF-2.

I still occasionally find time to build a military themed model kit--- usually something from Tamiya or Dragon. I play military themed computer games, like Ghost Recon.

The Tamiya kits are awesome. Anyone who is even remotely into customizing Joes should try one out, especially their newer stuff.

I have yet to buy a Dragon kit, although I've heard great things about them.

I love Ghost Recon and Battlefield 2!!!

I cant wait to get Ghost Recon for the 360... wait till you see the "Ghosts" customs I have in the works!!!

Man, I'm seriously thinking about getting the 360 after seeing Ghost Recon shots...

Joe, are these customs going to be Joe style? BTW Hasbro, I'd love to see realistic military figures in o-ringed 3 3/4" style...

• 2 years later...
I love Ghost Recon and Battlefield 2!!!

I cant wait to get Ghost Recon for the 360... wait till you see the "Ghosts" customs I have in the works!!!

Hey i love battlefield 2 and ghost recon too! They are my favorite games #tank#