HMCS Flagg

TheCheznit8

Hey there, dont know if you guys have seen this, but im working on building a Custom Flagg Carrier, just finished making a cardboard reference piece of the carrier's tower and put up the pics at another site.

Link:

http://www.joecustoms.com/board/showthread...id=34824&page=2

Interesting... do you plan on making it all out of cardboard? Something that big deserves something better.

What I'd suggest is to use the cardboard as a "skeleton", and go and buy some sheet styrene (plastic) from a good model shop. You can easily cut it into the pieces you'll need, and it will look a lot better, I think.

Another thing? Since it's an HMC Ship, call it something Canadian! Since you seem to be going with the "assault/helicopter carrier" look, may I suggest HMCS Dieppe? The USN already has a Flagg (in Joeverse, I mean), and we wouldn't name any of our ships the same as any US ships - not only would it be kind of lame, but since we work so often with US ships it would be confusing as well.

BTW, if you have any questions, I may be able to help - I'm a Canadian naval officer. Keep up the good work!

Hey man, the cardboard tower is only for reference purposes, the final version will be made with wood and perhaps either foam board or styrene (for the inner rooms).

Someone asked me that same question on another board. and I said im crazy, but not that crazy:)

and wow, its great to have someone on the boards whos not only a fellow Canadian, but a naval officer (I've met alot of American officers, but your the first Canadian) as well. Those guys gave me great advice on my carrier so far, and thanks for yours too.

on the name thing, I dont mind calling it the Flagg, because in my Joeverse when this thing is done it will be the ONLY Flagg.

Gonna put a nice Canadian sticker on the side too for good measure :)

Cheznit8

Hey man, the cardboard tower is only for reference purposes, the final version will be made with wood and perhaps either foam board or styrene (for the inner rooms).

Someone asked me that same question on another board. and I said im crazy, but not that crazy:)

and wow, its great to have someone on the boards whos not only a fellow Canadian, but a naval officer (I've met alot of American officers, but your the first Canadian) as well. Those guys gave me great advice on my carrier so far, and thanks for yours too.

on the name thing, I dont mind calling it the Flagg, because in my Joeverse when this thing is done it will be the ONLY Flagg.

Gonna put a nice Canadian sticker on the side too for good measure :)

Cheznit8

Sounds good!

I can't help a whole lot since we haven't had a carrier since the Seventies, but one thing that would be very cool is if you got the colour right. ALL current Canadian naval vessels share the same distinctive shade of grey that is quite different from our American allies. Whereas the American "naval grey" is dark, Canadian ships are coloured quite a bit lighter, and have a distinct blueish tint to them.

If you decide to populate it with custom figures, it would be very cool if you could do 'em like Canadian sailors. It'd be quite easy to do, too, since the naval uniform is fairly basic. We wear Naval Combat Dress at sea - black pants (not bell bottoms!), and a short black jacket. There are no bulging combat-style pockets. The shirt worn underneath (the jacket isn't always worn of course) is blue, a bit darker than what Shipwreck wears but similar. It is always long sleeved, but is rolled up depending on the weather or the nature of work. And like the Americans, we wear ball caps with the ship's name embroidered on it. (The skipper has gold leaf-things on the brim of it - everyone else's is plain.) To change it up, black berets are also worn with NCDs sometimes. So custom fodder would be easy to find - Flint, Falcon, Stalker, and Cutter heads would all work, and the bodies would be easy to make. Cutter torsos would be good too, as boat crews and bosuns would wear life jackets when appropriate. Hard hats and "skater helmets" (like what Delta Force wore in Somalia) are also worn when using cranes, doing RAS (Replenishment at Sea), etc, so even something like Toll Booth might be appropriate.

As long as you don't use any Shipwreck heads you'll be good to go! No one wears those up here, not for decades at least...

wow, that is some great advice. about the colour of Canadian vessels, I probably wouldn't have got that information just by simply looking at pictures of Canadian ships. Computer monitors can really screw around with colours sometimes, so thanks for that, I'll definitely try to colour it a lighter grey with a hint of blue in it.

The custom soldiers might have to wait a bit, as I dont have enough figures to justify ripping up some of them to make a new one, but I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind when I do get to making the carrier crew.

We had a carrier in the 70s?? I never knew that! what kind was it? I bet it was a brittish one.

do you have a link for it, thanks.

Cheznit8

Hey I have looked at all the pictures and I must say that you are off to a great start. Your working model looks very impressive. I am really looking forward to the completed project and picture updates from time to time.

wow, that is some great advice. about the colour of Canadian vessels, I probably wouldn't have got that information just by simply looking at pictures of Canadian ships. Computer monitors can really screw around with colours sometimes, so thanks for that, I'll definitely try to colour it a lighter grey with a hint of blue in it.

The custom soldiers might have to wait a bit, as I dont have enough figures to justify ripping up some of them to make a new one, but I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind when I do get to making the carrier crew.

We had a carrier in the 70s?? I never knew that! what kind was it? I bet it was a brittish one.

do you have a link for it, thanks.

Cheznit8

Here's a quick link I found... For some reason I thought it had been decommissioned a couple of years later than 1970, but I guess I was wrong. I didn't know it had been built in Britain either, but it makes sense... doesn't look like it was ever used by the Royal Navy though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Bonaventure

Here's another one with some good pics of Canadian vessels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forc...aritime_Command

And here's one with a supply ship RASing both a Canadian frigate and an American carrier, where you can see the colour difference:

http://army.ca/album/Vehicles/Ships/RAS.jpg

hey im back again. finished a draft of the Flagg in its separate pieces.

Tell me what you think and please give me input because I need help on this, thanks.

this is the link:

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/phpBB2/...opic.php?t=1217

are you gonna have a cutaway side? what i mean is how are you gonna "play" the figures in those lower decks? looks like you got the lower decks all inclosed...look awsome though!

TM

its not enclosed, because each of those pieces are going to be able to come apart (im not gluing them) so that you can get to the inner compartments for play, and also for ease of use in taking photos for dios.

The dio stuff will be far in the future, but for now, the Flagg will be in pieces for easier storage and accessibility

cool, ever hear of the program autocad?? its awsome. i took a year of it in my highschool. i didn't really like it that much because i drew the stuff kinda slow and got a little behind on some projects. but its just computer aided drafting (CAD) it would help you alot if you learned how to use it right.

and again, i cant wait to see this completed. awsome job.