"MOC" Marvel Legends with missing BAF pieces?

Phoenix Force

I went to the toy aisle at Target earlier today to check to see if they had anything rare (they didn't). To my surprise, I noticed that Iron Fist was missing his BAF Apocalypse piece. The package looked completely sealed and never opened, but when I shook it, I could see and hear the little grey twist ties (the ones that hold the BAF piece in place) moving around. The next thing I noticed was that the Sasquatch was missing his piece, too.

Has anyone else seen this in their area? I can't believe that Target would be dumb enough to take them back from the person who probably bought it just for the BAF part. Maybe this is the work of an employee? Why doesn't anyone notice that there's something missing in the impressed plastic that holds the BAF part?

I also can't believe that anyone would do this. We all have to spend money on figures we don't necessarily want, just to get the BAF, but why do such a cheesy thing? You can trade it or sell it for a lower price, but don't return it when something's missing...

From what I hear this kind of thing happens all the time. People buy the figures and them replace the figure with some old figure (sometimes from a different toy line) and then carry it back to the store. The employees from big stores don't (generally) know anything about the toys so they just take them back without thinking anything is wrong.

Thats totally messed up!

Last time I had my Bullseye replaced, TRU employees just destroyed the defected Bullseye I gave them along with the Galactus part... Thats what they are instructed to do... So I dunno how that would happen...

I've seen it happen in the ML9 line..at my local walmart...someone just uses a small knife & took out the baf piece out of all the ml9 figs.

The package looked completely sealed and never opened, but when I shook it, I could see and hear the little grey twist ties (the ones that hold the BAF piece in place) moving around.

ok, but WAS it sealed?

yes, I saw no trace of cuts or openings. it was strange.

Pilferage and swap-outs have been common place for the past 20 years.

Its a enormously difficult administrative problem with store returns and there are some steps being taken in dealing with it.

Its not just common with toys either, it happens with all kind of products right up to major appliances and automobiles--and prosecutions fot his happen regularly.

Toys just happen to be small enough fry that they often fall under the radar--so it keeps happening.

They split the seam and seal it back together with some sort of heat press/knife. I found some spawn clamshells with the wrong figure in them, you could barely tell where the edge of the plastic was warped a bit and sealed back up. Dunno what device they use but it melts the plastic back together with a strong bond.

I saw couple of the ML series 12 w/o pieces of Apocalypse as well.

It was Iron Fist and Maestro (this is back when the tube was missing, so whoever bought it got the shaft!)

r u guys sure it wasn't SHADOW CAT?

she probably went and used her powers to take the BAF parts out....

oh how i wish i had SHADOW CATS power...