how would you feel?

KENNY GUIDO

This morning, someone who works for a toy collectible store gets into Target at opening. He nabs 3 cases of the Cosucant wave. Now, when the guys opens shop, he is undoubtingly going to be charging an arm and a leg for these at his Levittown store. I thought there was a limit at Target? how does anyone feel in regards to this scalper?

This morning, someone who works for a toy collectible store gets into Target at opening. He nabs 3 cases of the Cosucant wave. Now, when the guys opens shop, he is undoubtingly going to be charging an arm and a leg for these at his Levittown store. I thought there was a limit at Target? how does anyone feel in regards to this scalper?

My first question that comes to mind is why doesn't this guy buy direcly from Hasbro if he has his own Toy Shop? The guy is stupid buying from retail then marking up the prices. I hate it but that is how this guy chooses to make his living....that is what makes America great :)

My first question that comes to mind is why doesn't this guy buy direcly from Hasbro if he has his own Toy Shop? The guy is stupid buying from retail then marking up the prices. I hate it but that is how this guy chooses to make his living....that is what makes America great :)

that's a good question! I dont know, however.

When POTF2 was in full force I used to see this kind of activity all the time. One specific guy had a shop at one of the local flea markets and charged outrageous prices for new figs. If I remember correctly when slave Leia first came out, he was selling her somewhere around $30 fresh out the case.

One morning I remember he got there after I did, bought the figures I left behind (I only needed one set fo new figs for te wall) then would bring them to his car and come back in and watch to see the people that came looking for Star Wars. When they would leave he would casually follow them outside and try to sell what he just bought to them for inflated prices.

Needless to say the manager caught wind of it and he was banned from the store and almost arrested for soliciting on public property.

The Reason Guys like that do not purches straight from Hasbro is because , in order to become a dealer for hasbro products you have to spend close to $10,000 on your first order and atleast 50,000 within a year........ that is the main reason why there are Toy store ownwer who nuy from regular stores, because the price it costs to pay for becoming a Hasbro Dealer.......Plus I'll let you in on a little secret most stores like Target and Walmart do not make a profit off of Star Wars figures.

Trust me I know , cause I was once looking into opening a Store of my own, and I looked at all toy companies........( the price I had to invest in was what stopped me from opening one and it may have turned me into a scalper{which I hat} , so I never proceeded)

He actually owns a booth at one of the local flea markets. I was there when the guy was walking out and the lady at the register said he spent over $300 on SW figures. In all likelihood he can't afford to buy direct from Hasbro. This guy seems always appear when new figs hit. BTW - This was at a Target on LI NY.

WHAT'S UP K-DOG.

He actually owns a booth at one of the local flea markets. I was there when the guy was walking out and the lady at the register said he spent over $300 on SW figures. In all likelihood he can't afford to buy direct from Hasbro. This guy seems always appear when new figs hit. BTW - This was at a Target on LI NY.

WHAT'S UP K-DOG.

chillen, paison! glad you were finally able to score that wave when you back to Levittown. Now we gotta get some for Nick!

If he owns a comic shop, he should just order from previews or where ever they get their comics, sounds like a shady guy, there's no reason for store owners to be buying them all up.. well, besides greed, lol... you should talk to your Target, let them know what's going on, talk to the store manager, and if he/she blows you off, ask for the coporate office number, if they claim to be fair about collectable items.. they should do something about it.

If they ordered cases, they'd be stuck with guys like Poggle and C-3PO, who barely sell at retail.

I can't blame them for trying to buy them at retail, but there has to be a better way to make a living than selling marked-up toys.

Theres a limit at Target?

If he owns a comic shop, he should just order from previews or where ever they get their comics, sounds like a shady guy, there's no reason for store owners to be buying them all up.. well, besides greed, lol... you should talk to your Target, let them know what's going on, talk to the store manager, and if he/she blows you off, ask for the coporate office number, if they claim to be fair about collectable items.. they should do something about it.

Well just to let you know, the prices from Diamond/Previews isn't any less then buying it from Walmart or Target .... trust me I know.

On collectable items, which SW figures fall under, yes there is. But I've never seen anyone ever enforce it.

wayyyy back when there was only 1 target on long island (back in 97) the managers were very strict on limiting the amount of figures one could purchase. they even went as far as saying we could only buy "1" figure per visit. they soon did away with that when they saw us

making multiple trips to the car and back to the store. then they only allowed us "1" of each figure.

Where I live there isn't any rule like that .

I know they practically made this rule up because all the collectors in the nassau area would go to this store at 8am and they would buy up everything. they told us that there was a limit on the collectibles but who was to say what was a collectible and what wasnt? as you could tell, us collectors werent very welcomed in that target store for a while. there was about a dozen of us, too.

Well just to let you know, the prices from Diamond/Previews isn't any less then buying it from Walmart or Target .... trust me I know.

If you're some random schmoe, then yeah, the prices are the same, but if you're a buisness, you get them for cheaper, then you mark them up for whatever you want...

and if you're special like me, you make connections and get them for 25% off ;)

Where I live there isn't any rule like that .

I know they practically made this rule up because all the collectors in the nassau area would go to this store at 8am and they would buy up everything. they told us that there was a limit on the collectibles but who was to say what was a collectible and what wasnt? as you could tell, us collectors werent very welcomed in that target store for a while. there was about a dozen of us, too.

You know, this whole thing doesn't make any sense to me from a business point of view. It's a stores job to SELL stuff. Why would they NOT want you to clear their shelves as fast as new product was coming in? It's as simple as them bumping up their order, unless Hasbro limits retailers on the amount of cases they can purchase, which I highly doubt, as Hasbro's job is to sell to retailers. Especially when it comes to something as popular as Star Wars.

Turning away ANY sale as a merchant is just plain dumb, and I don't see any major retailer like Walmart or Target doing that because they run the risk of turning their customers over to another competitor. That would be like me telling one of my customers that they could only purchase a certain amount of gas, or that there is a limit to the amount of candy or beer they can buy. I WANT them to buy as much as they can, even if it means running out, because you don't lose customers by being out of stock every once in awhile...what runs them off is telling them that they can't buy something. Increasing your order is a lot easier on your bottom line at the end of the year than losing customers. @loll@

but you're wrong DarthJoe, Target does ahve a policy against this, they post signs in their aisles stating this all the time...

If you constantly go to a store and they dont have figures cause someone keeps whiping them out at once, will you keep going there? I mena, I've stopped going to tons of stores casue I know scalpers hit them hard all the time, so it's pointless, Target looks at it as not being fair to thetomers and could possibly loose potential customers because of this... that's why they do it, yeah, some may not, cause they may not have that problem, but a lot of the Targets around here do...

I cant speak for Walmarts, cause I've had no problem walking into them, seeing cases on pallets, heck, when I worked for frito, I wa able to rmmage through backstock and pop open cases and take what I wanted.. but I know for a fact, depending on the Target, they take collectors that buy everything all up seriously.

On collectable items, which SW figures fall under, yes there is. But I've never seen anyone ever enforce it.

wayyyy back when there was only 1 target on long island (back in 97) the managers were very strict on limiting the amount of figures one could purchase. they even went as far as saying we could only buy "1" figure per visit. they soon did away with that when they saw us

making multiple trips to the car and back to the store. then they only allowed us "1" of each figure.

Huh! Thats interesting! Good to know!

If you're some random schmoe, then yeah, the prices are the same, but if you're a buisness, you get them for cheaper, then you mark them up for whatever you want...

and if you're special like me, you make connections and get them for 25% off ;)

No ,you are mistakened trust me I have an account with Diamond.....plus remember when SW figures were regularly at 5.00 ? well at those times Previews had them for 7.99 a figure,....and what is 7.99 -25 % ? that still made it 5.99......... like I stated earlier if you never knew, store like walmart and target hardly ans sometimes never make a profit out of figures like this.

If you constantly go to a store and they dont have figures cause someone keeps whiping them out at once, will you keep going there? I mena, I've stopped going to tons of stores casue I know scalpers hit them hard all the time, so it's pointless, Target looks at it as not being fair to thetomers and could possibly loose potential customers because of this... that's why they do it, yeah, some may not, cause they may not have that problem, but a lot of the Targets around here do...

That's my point though...can't they just increase the size of their order, or does Hasbro limit the number of cases they can but of a certain product over a given time? Or maybe something else I'm not understanding as to why they can't simply order MORE?

In simpler terms, say you're an order clerk at a store...or in charge of keeping track of sales, and adjusting orders to meet those sales. You order x number of cases of something, but they are gone half way between the time when the shipment came in and when you get the next shipment, so you start ordering 2 times the number of cases to meet the demand. Doesn't that make more sense than ordering x number of cases, running out, and then telling customers they can't buy as much? It's bad merchandising if you ask me...

That's why I only hit Targets/walmarts that don't have comic shops near them....cause they scalp em all the time.

No ,you are mistakened trust me I have an account with Diamond.....plus remember when SW figures were regularly at 5.00 ? well at those times Previews had them for 7.99 a figure,....and what is 7.99 -25 % ? that still made it 5.99......... like I stated earlier if you never knew, store like walmart and target hardly ans sometimes never make a profit out of figures like this.

so, what kind of shop/store do you own?