Marvel Legends Gi Joe In Development!!!

deflep

Crazy story...I went out for St Pattys day with my best friend. He works in the design field making Spiderman backpacks for kids and other licensed goods.

Turns out one of his co-workers was dating a Product Manager from Toy Biz which I think got bought by Hasbro. He said he has been given the task of creating Marvel Legends Gi Joes.

He mentioned that he is a huge fan as he is 32 and grew up with this stuff. Also he said he would be contacting me for feedback and that he would send me the toys for free as they are ready to ship.

He said he is starting the initial design phase this week.

I have his card and he sounds pretty legit...think about it..what normal person would lie about something so specific....

YO JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what normal person would like about something so specific....

a fanboy....

and that would suck, he will have enough scales by then. besides Hasbro

didnt get big making new toys, they made a company out of reusing stuff

i dont think Hasbro would be interested in 7 sizes of G.I.Joe

I'll believe it when I see it... especially given that there was alcohol involved!

haha...dude..im telling you these were all artsy design people...2 of the other guys work for Lego...one guy said he is developing the Avatar line..no idea what that is..

these were all toy people....this guys card says Marvel Entertainment...5th ave NYC...hes for real

I'll believe it when I see it... especially given that there was alcohol involved!

haha...dude..im telling you these were all artsy design people...2 of the other guys work for Lego...one guy said he is developing the Avatar line..no idea what that is..

these were all toy people....this guys card says Marvel Entertainment...5th ave NYC...hes for real

Well, we'll see. Obviously it's something a lot of people are interested in, but even if they do it, will they get it right and do it with RAH designs?

You should check out Avatar, btw... download it or something (not sure when it's on in the States) - it's probably the best animated series on TV right now.

Well, we'll see. Obviously it's something a lot of people are interested in, but even if they do it, will they get it right and do it with RAH designs?

You should check out Avatar, btw... download it or something (not sure when it's on in the States) - it's probably the best animated series on TV right now.

I told him that most people consider the comic book to be the best authority on the look and feel of GI Joe...I was like..what about Sigma 6?? And he said its completely unrelated and that he would definitely use the Joes he grew up with as his guide.

I told him that most people consider the comic book to be the best authority on the look and feel of GI Joe...I was like..what about Sigma 6?? And he said its completely unrelated and that he would definitely use the Joes he grew up with as his guide.

Yeah, I think a combo between cartoon, comic, and original figure design is the only way to go with any official ML style Joes. First off, it keeps in with the spirit with the whole ML concept, which is about the characters in their "iconic" version. Secondly, it's obviously what people will buy, not only Joe fans but comic fans and casual collectors as well. If they start going with their "new takes" like they did with the majority of Spy Troops and VVV, it's not gonna work. People aren't paying hundreds of dollars for custom ML figures of Sigma Six characters on Ebay, after all...

In general he said the toy business is really getting bad. He mentioned that highly articulated toys will stop being mass produced and that most new toys would be more like the Batman figures that have only a few joints.

It was actually pretty sad outlook on where toys are heading.

But regardles...it will be great if we do see some of these highly detailed versions of our favorite characters.

In general he said the toy business is really getting bad. He mentioned that highly articulated toys will stop being mass produced and that most new toys would be more like the Batman figures that have only a few joints.

That certainly doesn't seem to be the case in stores...

so first he says we're getting ML Joes.. then he says " that highly articulated toys will stop being mass produced and that most new toys would be more like the Batman figures that have only a few joints."

Then what's the point o fthem getting into ML Joes... seeing they're "highly articulated" I cant see them wasting the money one sculptors, molds, not to mention the factories and everything in between and after... if that's where they're heading...

Like DPrime first said... I'll believe it when I see it...

It sounds like a great idea, however . . . the fact that the guy said he would use the Joes with which he is familiar shows that there is at least something fishy.

He apparently doesn't know how toys are produced. It will never be the artys fartsy guys that make that decision. It will never be one person. It will be a cooperate entity telling some lackies what to do and then painting it neon.

Great...ANOTHER excuse to keep traditional 12" G.I.Joes, and the highly successful ARAH 3 3/4" scales off the shelves, while trying to push some other scale off on the collectors.

It's still just the same old crap with hasbro...SAME core characters only in some other scale, and that's the best they can come up with, to keep G.I.Joe (or at least the core characters from ARAH) looking "new and improved" and fresh on the shelves. <_<

They want to tap into the market of collectors interested in 7" scaled action figures (like ML) thinking it will bring something "fresh" to the Joe toys, but they think the have to DO IT at the expense of taking away every other scale of G.I.Joe, in order to roll it out, and that's asinine.

If they have such a limited budget on what they're willing to spend on their G.I.Joe line, and can't invest in having multiple scales at retail all at once (like most other toylines have for their brands) then KEEP mine 3 3/4" please! ;)

With the recent Hasbro/Marvel agreement it seems possible. I'd like to see it happen.

Toybiz WILL lost the contract/deal for Marvel legends and Hasbro will be pickin up in 2007. From what I was told at the comic con in New York this pass Feburary from one of the guys (can't remember his name) that was in the Joe panel at the last 05 Joe con said that he was at the comic con to get some reaction/feedback on the Marvel legends because in 2007 they will be taken the line over. He/they wanted to see what people though was HOT and NOT. So as for what was stated in the header of this topic I believe it can be true it is only in the developin state so who knows what can happen! I hope it is sooooooo true!

But what the point. Why remake the originals in ML style. Why not remake the originals in 3-3/4" style as they are yet to do, like Mattel did for He-Man, or like Hasbro is doing with the Star Wars Vintage original collection?

It doesn't make sense, but if they do do this then why stop at that. Why not also make 12 inch rotocast Joes as well.

Does Hasbro think that ML style original Joes will generate more profit than 3-3/4" remakes of the originals?

We will have to see and wait.

It was actually pretty sad outlook on where toys are heading.

But regardles...it will be great if we do see some of these highly detailed versions of our favorite characters.

The toy industry is getting bad as the video game industry is getting better. Kids are becoming more sophisticated at an earlier age and toys are being replaced by electronic devices sooner than before. Sadly action figures are at an all time low with kids than ever before.

As for a reduction in articulation in toys it just makes buisness sense. The more articulated an action figure is designed the more costly it is to develope and manufacture. Also there is no connection between increased sales and increased articulation when it comes to kids. I think that articulation is something that adult collectors like more than kids do. When we were kids, apart from GI Joe, how many other toy lines were super poseable? Transformers? Star Wars? He-Man? Thundercats? Super Powers? In the 80's and 90's none were. Yet, the companies made millions off these toy lines. Why then would they need to make toys that are super articulated?

In my opinion the super articulation that the Marvel Legends toys had was a negative aspect of the line. There were too many points of articulation that was not needed and only served to make the character's body look un-natural. It was just over done and it killed the great quality of the actual sculpt. Most of the skinny characters and women sculpts looked ugly because their points of articulation were so visible. As well, some poses (that the human body could easily hold) were not possible to do as these figures would simply collapse.

I just hope hasbro tones down the articulation of the Marvel Legends line, maybe bringing it down to the level of the new scuplt Joes.

But what the point. Why remake the originals in ML style. Why not remake the originals in 3-3/4" style as they are yet to do, like Mattel did for He-Man, or like Hasbro is doing with the Star Wars Vintage original collection?

It doesn't make sense, but if they do do this then why stop at that. Why not also make 12 inch rotocast Joes as well.

Does Hasbro think that ML style original Joes will generate more profit than 3-3/4" remakes of the originals?

We will have to see and wait.

I'm guesing right, sadly I would say yes. See, ML is the hottest toyline out there for adult collectors and has been for ages. Hasbro knows that.

Draven