Psyche-Out

Cyclonus8

I know everyone likes to make fun of Raptor, Crystal Ball, Big Boa, and Voltar, but why doesn't anyone complain about the original Psyche-Out? Maybe I'll be the first. I have always hated him since day one. Him and his stupid day glow green shirt, radars tied to his wrists, an alien looking backpack, stupid walkie-talkie strapped to the back of his head (how does he use it anyway), earmuffs, and a dust buster with another radar on it. When they started killing joes in the comic, I was hoping he would be one of the victims. Sad enough, he is from my hometown. At least Crytal Ball had a crazy expression on his face to explain his ridiculous costume and "weapon." The guy is crazy. How else should he look? But Psyche-Out has a very serious face. He probably doesn't even know the other joes are laughing at him.

You know, at least those other guys you mentioned are Cobras, so they have an excuse to be crazy. Us Joe fans are all too willing to love and accept Destro, Mindbender, and Serpentor but change the motif from snake to bird and we suddenly don't like it? I think the end of the cartoon did a lot to stifle any sort of love for these characters - who knows, maybe they would have been awesome on TV?

As for Psyche-Out, yeah, I hated him. He was exactly the kind of figure that drove me out of GI Joe as a kid.

I can't say that Psyche-Out is one of my favorite figures or anything, but I do have a soft spot for the oft-insulted 1987 triumvirate of Psyche-Out, Sneak Peak, and Crazy Legs. I actually took a good deal of time and patience in reacquiring complete and mint versions of those figures, goofy radar wrist bands, periscopes, and all.

The 1987 Joes hold a special place in my memory. I will always regard 1985 as the best year as far as my favorite characters in the original line, but I have very fond memories of picking up the 1987 figures while groccery shopping with my mom and brother, and then getting the mail-in coupon for The Fridge filled out and sent in.

I don't know if it was some sort of holiday or other occassion, but I remember my brother and I getting a whole group of figures like Tunnel Rat, Outback, Psyche-Out, Sneak Peak and Crazy Legs all at once.

Sorry to ramble.... to sum up Psyche-Out really is an odd looking figure but I still stick up for him a little bit.

Psyche-Out was ALMOST one of my first Joes along with Sneak-Peak. I put him back when I spotted Falcon. The original Psyche-Out does look pretty bad but the Night Force version actually made the guy half way decent. No comment on the Sonic version.

If there is anybody looking for a Psyche-Out I have an extra one. He has all his accesories too if I can find them all in my weapon's bin.

I actually agree with the fans above. I remember the first time I saw him in stores. I was mostly excited by all the gear he came with, but I liked the sculpt alot as well. The colors were a little....different, but I still liked it. Put him and Sneak Peak out in the yard together and there was some serious warring going on, lol. #US1#

The guy is not so bad if you don't put all of his gear on him. And I never used him as Hasbro intended. He quickly became the Joes psychologist. Hey,you get shot at all of the time by a bunch of nuts with a snake fixation and tell me you won't need a shrink after awhile.

I really did not like him either, but when he was re-done as a sonic fighter (in blue ;) ), I kind of started to like him. He did some with some cool accessories both times they had in (in green then in blue).

When I was a Kid Psyche out's niche was mainly as a junior officer (at the time I thought the Joe Team was undersupplied with Junior officers... then the Same year Psyche out and Falcon arrirved and recified that problem), his wristbands were almost never used... but his main transmitter was, mostly to send false messages on Cobra frequencies.

at least unlike some other figures (like big Boa, Raptor or Crystal Ball) Psyche out had the sense to pack a gun as well as his wierder gear

In practice I think the idea of a Psy-ops Joe character was a cool one, but Hasbro over-designed Psysche out probably out of fear that a non-gunfighting role Joe wouldn't be attractive to Kids unless he had a Sci-fi gadget type vibe going on.... However they did a much better version of a similar concept three years later with Bullhorn.

I can't say that Psyche-Out is one of my favorite figures or anything, but I do have a soft spot for the oft-insulted 1987 triumvirate of Psyche-Out, Sneak Peak, and Crazy Legs.

Strangely, I like Crazy Legs and Sneak Peek better. Too bad they died in the comics. Crazy Legs was basically a replacement for Ripcord, but i don't know why he had bright red spots like a bullseye. I guess it makes it easier for Cobra to shoot him when he jumps from planes. Sneak Peek also had a red bullseye on his chest. What kind of recon guy would carry a large green periscope into battle? And he had a stupid expression on his ugly face too. But regardless, I like both of these guys more than Psyche-Out.

On another note, a cool joe that did not come with a weapon was Mainframe. I had him use his walkie talkie on a hose as a baton though.

Strangely, I like Crazy Legs and Sneak Peek better. Too bad they died in the comics. Crazy Legs was basically a replacement for Ripcord, but i don't know why he had bright red spots like a bullseye. I guess it makes it easier for Cobra to shoot him when he jumps from planes. Sneak Peek also had a red bullseye on his chest. What kind of recon guy would carry a large green periscope into battle? And he had a stupid expression on his ugly face too. But regardless, I like both of these guys more than Psyche-Out.

On another note, a cool joe that did not come with a weapon was Mainframe. I had him use his walkie talkie on a hose as a baton though.

I don't think that's strange at all. Sneak Peek and Crazy Legs might have been a bit bright, but red is still better than neon, any day of the week. No one complains about BBQ, Blowtorch, etc... I think these guys are fine, personally, although they could have been done better. I still haven't gotten either of these (although I had them as kids), but I certainly plan to.

You can always use the regular Crazy Legs as a sort of para-rescue version, which would give some sense to the brighter colours... Night Force would be more of a combat version. I'm not sure how to justify Sneak Peek's colours, but he still looks alright...

I never owned him but I liked his character in the comics. I don't recall him too much in the main JOE run but I have a fond memory of him in the Special Missions, he seemed cool, like a smart negotiator type but as a psychologists he could always read people's actions and anticipate what people would do in certain situations. He was very useful in missions and I always wanted him as a kid so that he could help out in battles.... Ahhh to be a kid and playing in the front yard...... ahh ... I digress. SO yes I liked him.

Sneak Peek also had a red bullseye on his chest. What kind of recon guy would carry a large green periscope into battle? And he had a stupid expression on his ugly face too.

You can't fault Hasbro for the way Sneak Peek looks. It's not their fault Stephen King's kid was fat and ugly at the time the figure was made.