GI Joe Collectors

kndy

I was wondering if this theory is valid....the majority of vintage 3 3/4 GI Joe collectors are people who:

[a] Are career professionals that make $35,000-$100,000 a year (possibly median income is between $45,000-$75,000 a year)

Are over the age of 30.

[c] Married, with children

[d] Have possibly invested $1,000-$5,000 in GI Joes within the last five years.

[e] Continues to purchase post-200x GI Joe merchandise

[f] More than likely has spent thousands on Star Wars, Transformers and other toy merchandise.

kndy

[a] I wish

[c] No kids

[d] yeah

[e] yep

[f] I prefer the term "invested"...doesn't make me feel so guilty about spending so much money on toys. @lol@

[a] Are career professionals that make $35,000-$100,000 a year

I suppose

Are over the age of 30.

Negative. 26

God no

Prolly so

Yeah

[f] More than likely has spent thousands on Star Wars, Transformers and other toy merchandise.

Not including GI Joe, maybe over the past 10 years.

[a] Are career professionals that make $35,000-$100,000 a year (possibly median income is between $45,000-$75,000 a year)

I think you're over-estimating on this. As a whole, I've found that Joe collectors are less affluent than Star Wars collectors. As such, I'd say that your averages are probably too high. There are certainly exceptions as I personally know a few 7-figure net worth Joe collectors and many more who will be there in a few years, but, on the whole, I don't think your average Joe collector is quite as affluent as you make them out to be.

This is probably closer to 50-50. A LOT of Joe collectors are Joe collectors only. The vastness of the line makes it hard to concentrate on it and still follow other toy lines with the same enthusiasm. I would say this is probably more true of the more casual collector. As the seriousness increases, I would think the likelihood of them collecting other lines with great gusto would decrease. At least, that's what I've noticed among my peers.

Guest McBragg

I second the "i wish" statement. :(

Are over the age of 30.

I'll always be 29.....women have the right idea. lie about it. <_<

Just Al Bundy :P

I don't wanna know how much I spent

some of it

nah. only other collecting bug that really bites me is star wars, and that's on again, off again. .

You've got me pegged, except I'm nearly 30. :)

A. You got me.

B. I'm only 25.

C. Engaged, not married.

D. I'd rather not think about how much I've spent.

E. I still buy most of the new stuff, as well as "vintage".

F. I used to collect Star Wars pretty heavily, but now I only get the ones that stand out to me (mostly clones). I do buy some side items (Microman, Stikfas, Cowboy Bebop stuff) But I've been pretty exclusive to GI Joe for about 5 years now.

i'm only 23, i make basically negative money when you take college loans into account, and i have my die hard RAH collection, and i only buy choice new stuff... mainly because i'm picky and have little income to spend on my hobbies these days.

though, my other hobbies/obsessions are too numerous to count, from snes games to legos to tv shows on dvd....

No

Are over the age of 30.

30 even

Almost, no

Probably

yeppy

Yes

[a] I guess I come close, I hope my mail route eval is going to put me closer to $40,000

So far I seem to be the oldest at 32 (oh god help me I feel old, thankfully I get mistaken for 23 to 29)

[c] Nope...

[d] Well, I did drop off between 94 and 2002, because of my $1600 a month comic book habit.

[e] Yes

[f] Yes

But I`m only 28 @smilepunch@

Me too sucka! And I don't make that much dough.

For me though, I can't really say I collect vintage Joes. I have most if not all of my vintage collection and still pick some up here and there if the older ones are really beat up or I get decent deals on BATS and Cobra Troopers. But with the reissues and new sculpt RAH stuff, I am happy.

16, not married, no children, make 10 bucks an hour....definitely spent between 1000-5000 in last five years...sometimes buy new stuff, mostly vintage though...also collect vintage star wars, he man, and t-cats, but not as seriously as gi joe.

-saboteur

MAN!

Why does everybody have to stereotype us toy collectors?? @grumpy@

@smilepunch@

[a] HELL NO!!! (I can dream for now) @grumpy@

18 damn i feel young here @loll@

[c] No won't be for awhile either

[d] YES

[e] Both for me I only just really got started in 2002 with the re-launch

[f] Used to do Star Wars, not any more, I'm strictly Joe

Not a bad assessment, almost me to a T, but you made one big mistake in assuming we're all over thirty. I'm only 28, and I was right in the middle of the golden years of 1984-1986. I'm also not married with children, but that kind of ties in with assuming that Joe fans are older... I still feel too young for that kind of nonsense!

But you were close... if you had said mid-to-late twenties to early thirties, I think you would have been much more accurate, because Joes took a big nosedive in popularity after the movie and the Sunbow TV show ended (quality too, as far as I'm concerned, although there are a few figures that stand out).

MAN!

Why does everybody have to stereotype us toy collectors?? @grumpy@

@smilepunch@

it wouldnt be so bad if that were all true! know what i mean????

TM