Collector's Club Flaming M.O.T.H. figures

Alyosha

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these figures are pretty sweet.. I would prefer the green to be toned down a bit, and MOST LIKELY, IT IS. (remember how previous convention figures looked brighter when we first saw pics?)

anyways, I will be happy to order a few sets

I think these figures are pretty sweet.. I would prefer the green to be toned down a bit, and MOST LIKELY, IT IS. (remember how previous convention figures looked brighter when we first saw pics?)

anyways, I will be happy to order a few sets

So expensive though! I take it this is a two-figure set? I'd love at least six of the Night Vipers myself... I would have preferred two Night Vipers rather than one w/the Frag Viper, myself, or maybe just a whole crapload of them in the big figure set.

Any idea when we'll find out about those, by the way?

These figures make V1 Frag-Viper and Night-Viper cry:

fragnight.jpg

Why, if these molds are still around, can't Hasbro release these figures in army builder packs with GOOD color schemes? @grumpy@

Quite surprised to be honest. A I like the NV, B the lost Frag Viper mold was found. Makes me wonder what else what found at the Morgue in RI before the last con.

Draven

Not ENTIRELY bad....but yeah, a little "busy"!

They'd make nice companions for the Jungle Vipers. Of course...with them being referred to as "flaming"..are these two Cobras pulling a Brokeback Mountain, out there in them thar woods or something??

@hmmm@

I think Al goofed since the package labels them as "Flairing"

They're The first RAH figures I've really wanted (other than the 05 Con set) since Night Force Beachead, Downtown, Tunnel Rat and Flint back in Early 2004... They're not prefect by any means: the Light Green needs toned down and the Blue is waaaaay too light, but there better than the 2000 iterations of the 83-84 molds and Dreadnoks that have been about all we've had since Night force old-sculpt wise from Hasbro.

IMO this proves there are still RAH repaints that I'd really like, its just that Hasbro hasn't been able to do them for whatever reason keeps them returning to the same old molds.]

And of course there is the otther problem: MC's excorbantat international membership rates (and the MC stores hideously overpriced shipping) mean I'm goign to have to try to get them through the secondary market.... >sigh<

Edited by useless

$32 for 2 figures? Hasbro's 6 packs of repaints are $20. This is highway robbery. Well, me thinks I will buying a ton of these from one of the "Overseas" resources that seems to supply the market with all the cheap exclusives one can get.

I usually don't support the black market vendors but holy-schnickeys $32 for those 2 is a load of crap and a slap in the face of Master Collector's paying subscribers. I just shelled out $36 to reup that lousy newsletter and crappy "free" figure (more like $30 figure). I feel robbed. I can't believe Hasbro lets MC get away with this crap. My $36 membership has so far given me access to over priced figures, multiple obituary messages, a newspaper printed newsletter not worth the printed letters on the page and a crappy figure I could buy in bulk on eBay for $4/pop. And I reupped! I must have been out of my friggin mind with this latest slap in the face.

Quite surprised to be honest. A I like the NV, B the lost Frag Viper mold was found. Makes me wonder what else what found at the Morgue in RI before the last con.

Draven

I thought the Frag Viper mold was lost in South America so I'm glad to see it's back.Just like Draven I too would like to know the "lost" molds that Hasbro is sitting on.

$32 for 2 figures? Hasbro's 6 packs of repaints are $20. This is highway robbery. Well, me thinks I will buying a ton of these from one of the "Overseas" resources that seems to supply the market with all the cheap exclusives one can get.

I usually don't support the black market vendors but holy-schnickeys $32 for those 2 is a load of crap and a slap in the face of Master Collector's paying subscribers. I just shelled out $36 to reup that lousy newsletter and crappy "free" figure (more like $30 figure). I feel robbed. I can't believe Hasbro lets MC get away with this crap. My $36 membership has so far given me access to over priced figures, multiple obituary messages, a newspaper printed newsletter not worth the printed letters on the page and a crappy figure I could buy in bulk on eBay for $4/pop. And I reupped! I must have been out of my friggin mind with this latest slap in the face.

I guess you don't go to the Convention? Or you don't buy multiple convention sets? It's quite easy to say your membership has gained you nothing when you only buy one boxed Con set, get the figure each year, renew when NOT at the convention, don't use your ad... I'm sure there's more things, but I'll address these...

1. If you're NOT a member, a convention set costs $36 more, and includes membership I believe.

2. Buying multiple con sets, and the subsequent bagged sets means you can turn around and sell the boxed set to someone who couldn't go to the convention, as well as get yourself the bagged set for half the price if you army build.

3. The exclusive figure they do each year is free...

4. Renewing membership at the convention, for the past three years, has ment you can get three of any of the past years figure exclusive. In 04 I got Lt. Falcon a clear Zartan, me a clear Zartan, and a GID Heavy Water. Last year I got myself three GID Heavy Waters. This year I'm planning to grab three Annihilators.

5. Read the non-CC-part of the ads, you might find something you want. I have gotten a few of my CST's out of that thing.

-Kevin

So I am so confused. Do you have to be a member to order these figures or not? And if you arent a member will they cost more than 32 dollars?

I have been thinking of joining for some time now. You get a free figure annually if you join?

Answers are always appreciated ;)

Phanstar

I guess you don't go to the Convention? Or you don't buy multiple convention sets? It's quite easy to say your membership has gained you nothing when you only buy one boxed Con set, get the figure each year, renew when NOT at the convention, don't use your ad... I'm sure there's more things, but I'll address these...

1. If you're NOT a member, a convention set costs $36 more, and includes membership I believe.

Which is the same cost as being a member (which they tend to automatically sign you up if you pay non-member prices whether you want to or not)... where's the benefit/ discount if everyone pays the same price?

2. Buying multiple con sets, and the subsequent bagged sets means you can turn around and sell the boxed set to someone who couldn't go to the convention, as well as get yourself the bagged set for half the price if you army build.

This is a ridiculous point since you have to assume that people would even want to buy multiple sets to begin with which most don't. And besides, someone buying multiple sets and then selling them to non-club memebers/ non-attenders provides what benefit to the club? They gain no new memberships out of it, so where's the plus?

3. The exclusive figure they do each year is free...

Yeah, if you pre-pay $36.00 (by joining the Club) for it. It's not free. Not a benefit.

4. Renewing membership at the convention, for the past three years, has ment you can get three of any of the past years figure exclusive. In 04 I got Lt. Falcon a clear Zartan, me a clear Zartan, and a GID Heavy Water. Last year I got myself three GID Heavy Waters. This year I'm planning to grab three Annihilators.

And how much did those cost you?

5. Read the non-CC-part of the ads, you might find something you want. I have gotten a few of my CST's out of that thing.

You do know that you can get the Master Collector print ads (the newpaper that the club's crappy "newsletter" is wrapped in) without joining the GIJCC, right? (They were either free or they cost $1.00 - yes ONE DOLLAR - at the local toy show here.) Again, no benefit.

Not to mention that "store" that's often over priced on items (member or otherwise) compared to a number of etailers out there. A barely functional website. Little to no genuine means of providing feedback to the club outside of a "once-a-year" convention roundtable and a tiny message board that few people even use. Very little response/return on the feedback that is taken. (How many times have people said less packaging, more product?)

I've gone to the conventions (and will go this year also), been a member of the GIJCC, I've even bought multiple sets on occasion as a favor for a friend. I've even gotten the stupid "free" figures and I still say that there's no real benefit to joining the club and that all the reasons that people keep spouting off do nothing to change the facts of the situation. If people knew some of the other less known details about the GIJCC I think they'd rethink their ardent defense pretty quickly.

Edited by Iron Snake

So I am so confused. Do you have to be a member to order these figures or not? And if you arent a member will they cost more than 32 dollars?

In order to preorder it now, yes you do. When the set is posted on MasterCollector's web store (which I think is in May), it might start out as $20-$25 for the set for members, and maybe $30-$35 for non-members. This doesn't include the shipping, which might be as high as $8-$10.

In order to preorder it now, yes you do. When the set is posted on MasterCollector's web store (which I think is in May), it might start out as $20-$25 for the set for members, and maybe $30-$35 for non-members. This doesn't include the shipping, which might be as high as $8-$10.

thanks. i'll admit i'm intrigued w/ them since it seems new RAH style sculpts are winding down. i'm not sure about the price tho. i'll have to see what they are eventually for non-members before i know for sure whether or not i want to get them. they look pretty good. the mc rah exclusives have been pretty well done lately - i really liked the MARS figs from the last convention

"I guess you don't go to the Convention? Or you don't buy multiple convention sets? It's quite easy to say your membership has gained you nothing when you only buy one boxed Con set, get the figure each year, renew when NOT at the convention, don't use your ad... I'm sure there's more things, but I'll address these..."

Although Iron Snake has already effectively made the argument I have decided to add 2 more cents. I didn't go to the convention as I thought it pointless to drop a grand or more on airfare/hotel/meals/etc. for the priveledge of buying product a few dollars cheaper or having to waste my time at a convention I did not feel like attending.

"1. If you're NOT a member, a convention set costs $36 more, and includes membership I believe."

I didn't purchase an entire set, I went to eBay and a few internet retailers and scored the set for less than half the price. I am not a completist and a box with some foam doesn't really do it for me. As such the price to members and non-members is the same as they have to become a member to buy it when they purchase it online at the MC store. I don't see the benefit here as if you want it you have to at some point drop $36 or just go elsewhere and save money.

"2. Buying multiple con sets, and the subsequent bagged sets means you can turn around and sell the boxed set to someone who couldn't go to the convention, as well as get yourself the bagged set for half the price if you army build."

What is this a ponzi scheme? I didn't pay my $36 to have to sell extra sets to others to make up the money. If I wanted to do that I would have bought them for less than half when they came out on one of the eTailers selling them from Hong Kong/Taiwan or whereever. This is like when you were a kid and to go on the school trip you had to sell the candy bars. I didn't and ended up bugging my parents for the cash and having a bunch of overpriced candy bars sitting in the kitchen cabinet for months until someone ate them.

If I wanted to join a ponzi scheme I'd go sell Amway. How exactly is this a benefit?

"3. The exclusive figure they do each year is free..."

"Free" is a very subjective term here. I remember going to K-Mart to buy the GI Joe 2 packs with the "Free" bonus figure that actually cost $2 more than the regular 2 packs. Just because you call it free doesn't mean that it is the case. However, If you still believe it is free then PM me as I'd like to offer you a free Action Attack Duke figure for $18.99. You can call it Shipping and Handling if you wish.

"4. Renewing membership at the convention, for the past three years, has ment you can get three of any of the past years figure exclusive. In 04 I got Lt. Falcon a clear Zartan, me a clear Zartan, and a GID Heavy Water. Last year I got myself three GID Heavy Waters. This year I'm planning to grab three Annihilators."

Again with the "free" thing. So what did the convention set you back altogether? $1200?

I own all of those figures, I think I paid about $12 for the clear Zartan, $4 for the Jungle Viper (I bought 5 extra and 6 of the Parachute kind at that price) and coincidentally 3 Heavy Waters, glow in the dark and all for $8 a pop. I also picked up 8 O-ring Storm Shadow unreleased CD Rom figures among others. Now that's value.

"5. Read the non-CC-part of the ads, you might find something you want. I have gotten a few of my CST's out of that thing."

I have to admit something here, I have never read the adds. This would explain why I would never bother placing one. I throw the newsletter away every month without ever opening it as I read the online version if I care to see something new and as such skip 95% of the content. In the internet age I would rather go to eBay to do my buying and selling. I also don't subscribe to USA Today bacause I can read it free online. Go figure, no pun intended.

The fact is that while I understand what you are saying and I do believe there is some benefit to be gained the negative cost far outweighs it. Average gains for an Amway representative are -$1200. They lose $1200 on average. I am thankful I only lost $36 so far on Master Collector but damn if I am going to buy extra sets to try and turn a profit from my fellow collectors who can't afford it.

Im so confused...I thought the convention exclusive was supposed to be Major Bludd and the Skull Squad??? Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks

It is these are separate exclusives to be sold though the Mastercollector online store.

I don't like them at all. They look to me like they are cheaply painted and something about the colors are turning me off. Every year I think it might be the first time I get a convention exclusive but not this year, yet.

Too lazy to quote...

Iron Snake - Share the lesser known details with me then, so that I may regret being a member of an organization that only costs $36 a year. And I have yet to buy anything from MC that I didn't not get in person from them. The $36 membership renewal is something I would pay regardless, and I don't renew except at the Con BECAUSE they offer the three figures with it each year. When they stop doing that, I'll probably let my membership lapse, or when they stop making figures I want.

Boom Batty - If you feel it helps the product more to buy your stuff from etailers, and the people from <insert small country here> who offer the mixed lots on e-bay, go ahead. I buy my Joe product off e-bay when I'm not at the con. And if the Convention set me back anything more than the $400 it costs to get a plane ticket from CA to wherever the Convention is, I will not be going. I do not do anything to help the club when it does not serve my best interests. If I can buy a Con set for someone who wants it, and get the bagged set for cheaper, I'm all for it.

And while "free" might be a subjective term, you have to look at what benefit your membership gives right off the bat. By having joined now, or already being a member, I've payed my $36. Now I do not have to shell it out later when I want something from them. I get a figure each year that I don't put any effort into getting, it just shows up at my house. This new exclusive, I won't be putting any effort into getting, in my eyes. I just call up MC, tell them I want to pre-order 6 sets, and I'm done. They already have all the info they need to charge my credit card.

-Kevin

Also remember that MC will NOT be making as many of these figures as Hasbro would with a typical 6 pack, not even close!

Regardless the product, the more limited in number an item is, the more the cost will be to offset that.

That is why "comic store" toylines cost more than similar stuff at Walmart: Walmart will buy 50 thousands units alone, While all the comic stores in the nation would barely muster one third that.

And besides, security on the Asia manufacturers seems to have been beefed up since last year, I highly doubt there will be that many on the web, and on average, even the cost from the black market isn't significantly less, especially for a set like this.

Do you really think an Asia seller will have an exclusive like this for less than $10 per figure?

I have went to the con before, where I have met Admiral Hunter and Skawrapz. The Con items may not be worth it to some, but the experience is. You guys forget that the con gives away free things as they did in 2003; they gave out test shot figures of the con exclusives. They gave the figures out via raffle tickets per table during dinner. Two people on each table will win. Either a 12 inch test shot of the exclusive or the 3.75 test of the exclusive. Even though, my chances of winning are 1/3(three people at the table, including myself,) I didn't win. The other two people(who were actually a couple,) have. Lucky $#%^&z.

As for the cost, one has to remember these are mass produced, hence the high cost. I regret buying my con set, but I don't regret going to the con and getting the vechicles exclusives.

"I guess you don't go to the Convention? Or you don't buy multiple convention sets? It's quite easy to say your membership has gained you nothing when you only buy one boxed Con set, get the figure each year, renew when NOT at the convention, don't use your ad... I'm sure there's more things, but I'll address these..."

Although Iron Snake has already effectively made the argument I have decided to add 2 more cents. I didn't go to the convention as I thought it pointless to drop a grand or more on airfare/hotel/meals/etc. for the priveledge of buying product a few dollars cheaper or having to waste my time at a convention I did not feel like attending.

"1. If you're NOT a member, a convention set costs $36 more, and includes membership I believe."

I didn't purchase an entire set, I went to eBay and a few internet retailers and scored the set for less than half the price. I am not a completist and a box with some foam doesn't really do it for me. As such the price to members and non-members is the same as they have to become a member to buy it when they purchase it online at the MC store. I don't see the benefit here as if you want it you have to at some point drop $36 or just go elsewhere and save money.

"2. Buying multiple con sets, and the subsequent bagged sets means you can turn around and sell the boxed set to someone who couldn't go to the convention, as well as get yourself the bagged set for half the price if you army build."

What is this a ponzi scheme? I didn't pay my $36 to have to sell extra sets to others to make up the money. If I wanted to do that I would have bought them for less than half when they came out on one of the eTailers selling them from Hong Kong/Taiwan or whereever. This is like when you were a kid and to go on the school trip you had to sell the candy bars. I didn't and ended up bugging my parents for the cash and having a bunch of overpriced candy bars sitting in the kitchen cabinet for months until someone ate them.

If I wanted to join a ponzi scheme I'd go sell Amway. How exactly is this a benefit?

"3. The exclusive figure they do each year is free..."

"Free" is a very subjective term here. I remember going to K-Mart to buy the GI Joe 2 packs with the "Free" bonus figure that actually cost $2 more than the regular 2 packs. Just because you call it free doesn't mean that it is the case. However, If you still believe it is free then PM me as I'd like to offer you a free Action Attack Duke figure for $18.99. You can call it Shipping and Handling if you wish.

"4. Renewing membership at the convention, for the past three years, has ment you can get three of any of the past years figure exclusive. In 04 I got Lt. Falcon a clear Zartan, me a clear Zartan, and a GID Heavy Water. Last year I got myself three GID Heavy Waters. This year I'm planning to grab three Annihilators."

Again with the "free" thing. So what did the convention set you back altogether? $1200?

I own all of those figures, I think I paid about $12 for the clear Zartan, $4 for the Jungle Viper (I bought 5 extra and 6 of the Parachute kind at that price) and coincidentally 3 Heavy Waters, glow in the dark and all for $8 a pop. I also picked up 8 O-ring Storm Shadow unreleased CD Rom figures among others. Now that's value.

"5. Read the non-CC-part of the ads, you might find something you want. I have gotten a few of my CST's out of that thing."

I have to admit something here, I have never read the adds. This would explain why I would never bother placing one. I throw the newsletter away every month without ever opening it as I read the online version if I care to see something new and as such skip 95% of the content. In the internet age I would rather go to eBay to do my buying and selling. I also don't subscribe to USA Today bacause I can read it free online. Go figure, no pun intended.

The fact is that while I understand what you are saying and I do believe there is some benefit to be gained the negative cost far outweighs it. Average gains for an Amway representative are -$1200. They lose $1200 on average. I am thankful I only lost $36 so far on Master Collector but damn if I am going to buy extra sets to try and turn a profit from my fellow collectors who can't afford it.

Good arguments on both sides, but I have one question, BoomBatty, why did you renew then ?

Edited by Tazzzman