DOES THIS LOOK OK TO U?

MARVEL7o7

No one was censoring him on ANYTHING... I simply commented on what Wolverine's explaination was as to why he smoked when Kitty asked him one time. He said he smoked because he enjoyed it and it couldn't hurt him thanks to his healing factor, but he said he didn't recommend it for anyone else. Do as I say do, not as I do thing.

Another brief bit of advice, when you start drawing from other artists work, make sure to stay away from ROB LEIFELD!!! He has the WORST grasp on anatomy & perspective of any artist in comics.

Since you have a scanner I would recomend you scan is as a .bmp and also as lineart (just black and white). You'll be able to color it with MS paint.

colanironman1.jpg

that's a nice picture of iron-man

that's good for your age reminds me of myself at that age, just try not to promote something like smoking.

glaken my censorship comment was aimed more at pweagle's comment than anything. but then you posted and my next comments were about your post.

smoking sucks, i agree. my dad has emphysema from smoking. but it's a bit like taking all the nudity, religious references, cigarrettes, alcohol, innuendo, cursing, and anything else meaningful out of anime (and they leave in almost all the violence, just no bood, can't have the kiddies exposed to bad influences) and putting it on saturday morning on fox.

sure a 2 year old can look at it, but it's actually pretty worthless.

No one was censoring him on ANYTHING... I simply commented on what Wolverine's explaination was as to why he smoked when Kitty asked him one time. He said he smoked because he enjoyed it and it couldn't hurt him thanks to his healing factor, but he said he didn't recommend it for anyone else. Do as I say do, not as I do thing.

Another brief bit of advice, when you start drawing from other artists work, make sure to stay away from ROB LEIFELD!!! He has the WORST grasp on anatomy & perspective of any artist in comics.

Which artists are you interested in Glaken?

GOOD JOB YOUNG FELLOW!!!!

Keep at it! I really like that you can pose the figure in the drawing so well. Many newbie artists have the figure standing with hands on hips or at attention. Your drawing shows lots of promise.

What comic book do you aspire to drawing?

lol I remember getting a lecture from my parents as a kid when I drew a character smoking

the pic is really good man. other than the typical stuff of study, practice, etc. I would say practice shadows on the muscles. first one shade (like black) then add another (like grey). that really helped me get better a while ago.

Which artists are you interested in Glaken?

I lean towards bold, clean lines & bold colors (which is a whole different artist all together). It's kind of funny how someone can take some of the best pencils & ink and color them and they become crap and vice versa. As far as pencilers go, some of my favorites are....

Jim Lee, John Cassady (sometimes), UDON stuff is really cool, Olivier Coipel's not bad, I think Humberto Ramos stuff is fun-not all that anotomically accurate but not all askew and distorted like Leifeld, David Finch has really cool stuff, Ed McGuinness is hit or miss for me-I loved his deadpool run, Pat Lee's action is good but his lines could be cleaned up a little more, Dan Jurgens, Mark Bagley and there are several others too.

Man, that's better than what I could do at 12. It's also better than what I can do at 24.

Keep practicing! Hopefully someday you'll bring some real talent to Marvel Comics. :)

Your 12. That's an early pic. That's amazing. I'm serious. That's very good, and do you know why?

The pose. It's very natural, and that's extremely hard to do. Myself, I have a terrible time making a character look like they are in a real life natural pose, so I think this is very, very good. The muscles are all very close as well, so let me just say this:

DO NOT STOP DRAWING. Keep at it, don't listen to anyone that tells you to stop or do something else, you obviously have a very natural talent, please keep honing it. I kinda dropped off from drawing and went with music, and my frined Matt kept with drawing, you should see what he can do now!

(Your basic style reminds me of Bart Sears a bit, very curving and organic)

Nice start.

Like others have suggested, I'd start studying anatomy. Get some anatomy books which show muscles and how they connect and contract. For instance, your Wolverine's upper arm doesn't have proper musculature. Learn how the bicep and tricep function. This isn't an attack, since most employed comic artists don't properly understand how those muscles work.

I'd also suggest getting one of the artist dolls. I'm not sure what their proper name is. They're wooden armatures that are usually about a foot tall. They're incredible poseable. In fact, the original 12" GI Joe was based on their design. It'll help you come up with poses that are interesting, dynamic, and look humanly possible (again, something that a lof of employed artists can't seem to do properly).

I'd also suggest trying to find the old book "How to Draw the Marvel Way" (might not be actual titile). It was made by John Buscema and went through his process of how to draw comic book heroes. He had great tips like sketching the human frame first, including rules for the size of the head compared to the rest of the body (6:1 ratio, I think). And of course, he showed you how to fill in the muscles and details.

One last thing, study graphic design and sequential storytelling. You need to be able to draw more than the human body. Clothing is particularily difficult. Graphic design will teach you things like composition (how to fill the panels). Sequential storytelling will tell you how to properly tell a story through panels. A lot of current artists' panels just don't flow properly. Ever read a comic and become confused as to which order to read the panels? Or were confused as to how everyone in a room was standing in relation to each other? You'll learn how to avoid those situations. I think there's a book called "Understanding Comics" that's pretty informative.

But most of all, just keep drawing. I used to do it all the time. I haven't seriously drawn in something like 10 years. Like most passions, keep at it and you'll improve.