Reminder: New S6 cartoon today!

BrotherShane

Earlier someone mentioned that SW and TT don't rely on toy sales to thrive.

The toys sell well because the shows/movies are popular.

You do the math.

Well I saw the episode and it was not that bad. The overlord vector was pretty cool, but I guess could not stand a chance against Duke. I agree that Sigma Six has brought new life for Gi Joe and this will help support not only the 3/3/4 line but also perhaps the video game at some time. I know that 6" will not last forever and I am thinking that HASBRO will probably do a Sigma Six pack to slowly transition from 6" to 3/3/4", the question is when.

But do not expect the same calibre of production with any sort of half-hour advertisement series as you would with The Batman or Avatar.

Why not?

How about that for a dramatic new angle for Hasbro to try? A GOOD show!

A good show would motivate kids to be into the toys more than anything else. See, kids don't like to be pandered to, or talked down to, that's why so many comics in the 80s, like X Men were big, because they were more or less for kids, but didn't "act" like it so to speak.

EXACTLY! Why shouldn't we want a cartoon that can be enjoyed by both adults and kids? Batman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Avatar, TMNT - they're all great shows, good for kids and older collectors too. And yes, from a business perspective, they are also used to sell toys, but they can do it while still providing watchable, sometimes even thoughtful, entertainment.

No one's complaining about Hasbro trying to reach new buyers with Sigma Six - we may not like the stuff they do, and it'd be nice if they put more effort into the stuff we do like - but let's face it, the show is poorly written and poorly acted. The animation is pretty good - but without a good story and decent line delivery it falls apart, and to say "well that's how it's supposed to be because it's a KIDS' show" isn't much of an argument in its favour, as far as I'm concerned. Especially given that the above mentioned shows completely negates it.

see i was on tom1's side on this one with thinking the cartoon is just as good as the 80's cartoon, as both were just fine for what they did, they sold toys. they were commercials, in that aspect there's nothing wrong with either; however, when someone mentioned tmnt.....it hit me. tmnt was a great 90's cartoonjust like gijoe was in the 80's, that was a commercial that sold the toys. now you look at the new tmnt and it's a totally different kinda of thing, much darker, much smarter, well written, and it's like the toys are there to promote the toon, instead of the toon supporting the toys. sigm6 doesn't even compare to that. so i guess sigma6 does have alot of room for improvement, but it's good for what it is, a commercial

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a hard paradox to explain. It's surprisingly well done for a children's cartoon, let alone one meant to support children's toys. It's almost like it's a cartoon that happens to have toys, not the other way around.

So, yes... TMNT is the exception to the rule.

Tom

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a hard paradox to explain. It's surprisingly well done for a children's cartoon, let alone one meant to support children's toys. It's almost like it's a cartoon that happens to have toys, not the other way around.

Tom

well there's always one exception to the rules @loll@

I just want to add a different view to this thread that nobody has paid attention to. Do Kids like the new G.I. Joe Sigma 6? My answer would be Yes they do and they not only like it they are into it like we were. The same way we started collecting G.I. Joe ARAH when we were kids. I don't think Sigma 6 is going away for a long time. The bottom line is Sigma 6 is selling well and is picking up in sales big time.

I don't really mind Sigma 6, some of the toys are really kick ass and we still have DTC for 3 3/4 Joes. I think its a good mix. There will never be cartoons like there were in the 80's becase of the cost, so when i see Sigma 6 its ok becase I don't expect much from the show. Its really sad tho that they cant do a better show for this line becase the Toys are Quality!

Edited by OptimusPrime2005

I personaly think the show is pure garbage. Tmnt is awsome, i can't imagine anyone would disagree. But i really think Joe could be awsome.

Also i still dont' see the logic behind a scale change. C'mon hasbro would have got kids and collecters if it was in 3 3/4 and they should know it. Toyline aside, Rapheal for Duke? country peach scarlet? SCOTT ABERNATHY! it's simply stupid. yeah i know kids today like some stupid, but not all of em, or tmnt, justice league wouldn't be where they are.

Btw have you guys seen the new marvel's ultimate avengers. That's what i wanted out of a joe toon.

I just want to add a different view to this thread that nobody has paid attention to. Do Kids like the new G.I. Joe Sigma 6? My answer would be Yes they do and they not only like it they are into it like we were. The same way we started collecting G.I. Joe ARAH when we were kids. I don't think Sigma 6 is going away for a long time. The bottom line is Sigma 6 is selling well and is picking up in sales big time.

I don't really know (for sure) if the "kids" are really watching it at all, nor do I have any way to know (for sure) if the toys for Sigma Six are selling any better than standard, for G.I.Joe?

Around the Christmas season, a lot of toys do pretty well, and there hasn't been much of a major re-stocking of anything NEW since then, so I honestly don't know if Sigma Six sold any better than ANY of the previous years of 3 3/4" Joes?

While all the new sculpt haters bashed on the Spy Troops and JvC lines, their proponents touted good sales numbers, to suggest they were selling well despite the complaints by the collectors. Yet the "hiatus" came upon us, and the 3 3/4" line took a major dive on us. @grumpy@

Hasbro never has been all that straight up with the fan community about this stuff, and we just go with the flow and what's up their sleeve NEXT despite good, bad or lagging sales.

Well, I have to say that when I have been toy hunting over the last couple of weeks that I have really noticed S6 picking up pretty well. It seems like there was "something" that happened that all of a sudden made them start selling briskly around here, but I don't know what triggered it; I guess just kids at school deeming them "cool" or seeing other kids playing with them? All the stores seem to be moving stock, and for 2 weeks there's been kids at the S6 displays actually being quite excited at almost every store I've been to. I've also seen a number of parental types getting 2 or 3 for whoever. I don't think it's hit anywhere near the fever pitch it was in the 80s, but it certainly seems to be building steam.

Also, one quick note, I don't think the scale change has even registered on the radar of most people, I saw 2 moms at 2 different Wal Marts telling their relatively young sons "look, here's some GI Joe!" and handing them S6 to see. I think it's a wise idea to try and associate the GI Joe name equally with the core character names like Duke, something that was hit on in the early 80s runs, but because of such huge rosters over time, the name GI Joe lost the connection to the core group and became more of a generic army line like the 12" line. I'm referring only to general public perception of course, not attentive fans. Of course, Hasbro's argument is that there's about 10 billion average unknowledgable people, and about 10 fans.

p.s. Viper Hunter, that pic in your sig is so awesome.

Edited by Daredrummer

^_^ Yeah, I thought so as well! It's from WIZARD magazine and where they have different characters, from different comics faceoff in their VS. segment.

Great artwork by Darick Robertson...

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/_gfx_/magazi...030828-lmsL.gif

Tom

I think that is how they promoted the line. Before the new show existed, they were talks of the film as if they wanted to bring back the movie/cartoons as oppose to the toys. Also, the new show is actually owned by Mirage studios whereas the 80's one is owned by someone else. That is why the old cartoon is far from the original concept and that the creators of tmnt didn't like how the show was dumbed down. The new one is more accurate to the comics

Well, I have to say that when I have been toy hunting over the last couple of weeks that I have really noticed S6 picking up pretty well. It seems like there was "something" that happened that all of a sudden made them start selling briskly around here, but I don't know what triggered it; I guess just kids at school deeming them "cool" or seeing other kids playing with them? All the stores seem to be moving stock, and for 2 weeks there's been kids at the S6 displays actually being quite excited at almost every store I've been to. I've also seen a number of parental types getting 2 or 3 for whoever. I don't think it's hit anywhere near the fever pitch it was in the 80s, but it certainly seems to be building steam.

Also, one quick note, I don't think the scale change has even registered on the radar of most people, I saw 2 moms at 2 different Wal Marts telling their relatively young sons "look, here's some GI Joe!" and handing them S6 to see. I think it's a wise idea to try and associate the GI Joe name equally with the core character names like Duke, something that was hit on in the early 80s runs, but because of such huge rosters over time, the name GI Joe lost the connection to the core group and became more of a generic army line like the 12" line. I'm referring only to general public perception of course, not attentive fans. Of course, Hasbro's argument is that there's about 10 billion average unknowledgable people, and about 10 fans.

I too have noticed that Sigma Six has been picking up some steam, all of the packs that used to be there a few weeks ago are now gone and only some Dukes or TR's remain. Still looking for that Long Range with Skull. I got the Ninja Bat however.

isn't the not cool

I'm.....not sure how to....answer that....

Tom

What about JLU? And everything else that DC/Warner Bros. have put out, for that matter? Animated DC's been pretty consistent on the toy shelves and the TV screen for over a decade, ever since Batman: TAS. I'd say that's a success, and the series are all extremely intelligently handled.

Well, where exactly are you getting that information? This line has been out for less than a year and you feel you can jump to that conclusion? Whether you like the line or not is not my point - Sigma Six has a LONG way to go before it can match, or even come close to, the success of the RAH line back in the '80s, which, btw, only failed after Hasbro started to take more control and "put a new spin" on things.

I'm not saying it's a not success - I think it's too early to tell, and WAY too early to compare it to a line like RAH or G1 Transformers... Personally I think it'll end up more like Centurions or Visionaries, which were cool toys in themselves, but didn't have as compelling characters or media as Transformers or RAH. Kids are smarter than you (and Hasbro) think, and I wouldn't be surprised if Justice League and the new TMNT outlast Sigma Six because of it.

I just want to add a different view to this thread that nobody has paid attention to. Do Kids like the new G.I. Joe Sigma 6? My answer would be Yes they do and they not only like it they are into it like we were.

They don't. My kids hate the new SigmaCartoon and I usually force them to see it because I want to see it and don't let them change it. By the way My kids love TMNT. They love that cartoon to death and I really like it too.

NOw as for the toys, I have bought my kids TMNT toys and they don't play with them, hardly. I have also bought them SigmaSIx and they play with those a little more but not as much as POKEMON and videogames.

want to know how what kids think about sigma 6, go ask them at 4kidstv.com i think that's the fox kids thing, not 100%sure

Wonder how MANY kids are posting on this 4kidstv.com? @lol@

i thought they started off strong and then went downhill AND FAST! that 'vacation' episode was just crap. i havent watched since.

I agree Duke with those glasses, sure it was funny but IMO it was one of the weakest story lines. But then again this is NOT for the collector community, this is for kids, "4Kidstv network" = for kids :D.