nyc comic con

KENNY GUIDO

just got back from the comic con and i'll rate it a 5 out of 10. if you ever been to a NYC comic show across from penn station, it's pretty much the same thing just with less dealers and more vendors. i did a quick walk around adn there was nothing new to report. everyone had carkoon and hoth wave with no figure priced under $10. i saw some geo wave and 1 orange clone priced at $20. didn't see any scorch. the marvel booth displayed all the marvel legends coming out in the future and they look really cool, especially the characters you have to build. the best looking ones were mojo, dragon man, the 12" venom, modak, and the 12" wolverine.

i also talked to Gen con about celebration 4, and they said they are in the middle of talks with lucasfilm right now. they are looking into a different location this time like L.A. or st. louis. they are aware of the main problems of celebration 3 and are looking for ways to fix them. the year they are looking at is 2007 which is crazy.

there will also be a NY Comic Con next year on the same weekend.

Cool! Too bad I can't go :(

it was hell there today, the convention was so much in disarray. there were at least 1000 people left in the lobby, unable to get into the convention. all the management could say was that they would get a full refund. some how, I doubt that.

I did get some pics of kevin smith as he did his q&a:

kevinsmithbw.jpg

kevinsmith1.jpg

kevinsmith.jpg

Hi Evenflow,

Actually, they weren't expecting that much people and right now with every convention may it be comic or anime convention, logistics right now are so difficult because to be blunt...there are not too many convention centers/hotels that can hold so many people (that is a reasonable cost to the business or organization). NY is the most difficult and expensive place to have a convention. Next year will be a challenge and the only choice they can do is cap attendance or move elsewhere. I believe next to the New York Comic Con, the next largest convention in the East Coast is Otakon in Baltimore, MD and they had to cap registration in 2005 because they can't handle over near 30,000 people.

There's a great interview a week before the event with the organizers of the NYCC event at comicgeekspeak.com (episode 105) and an article on the large crowd at NYCC here.

NYCC CROWD

kndy