New US army Star Wars stormtrooper face armor...

KENNY GUIDO

Ugh... I hated even wearing my helmet during basic (mind you, I'm Navy). That thing would be a pain in the ass, especially in hot/humid environments. It also looks like it would really impede vision.

It does look like a Ninja Turtle face, though!

Ugh... I hated even wearing my helmet during basic (mind you, I'm Navy). That thing would be a pain in the ass, especially in hot/humid environments. It also looks like it would really impede vision.

Lol yea it does :D I'd have to say if I was in Iraq I'd be using that thing and whatever else to stay alive too :P

Go go ninja turtle trooper robot! errr... wait .... thats not quite right... @hmmm@

Lol yea it does :D I'd have to say if I was in Iraq I'd be using that thing and whatever else to stay alive too :P

Go go ninja turtle trooper robot! errr... wait .... thats not quite right... @hmmm@

Ironically, there was such a character in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series and toyline. His name was Metalhead although he had no connection to the long haired Justice Force member who used the same name. A synopsis of the episode Metalhead was introduced in can be found at

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/cartoon/guide/cart053.htm

OmegaHarbinger

Looking like stormtroopers we will be percieved as the "evil empire"

That's not entirely untrue either. Soldiers are often seen impersonally by their enemies - a lot of derogatory terms, like kraut, etc were used for this very reason. Having our troops wear masks like this makes them appear, essentially, as cold, impersonal clones, which isn't what we want in a mission like Iraq, where we have to work with the indigeneous population.

I can only see them of being of any real use with bomb defusal, and things of that nature. I honestly can't see them being used in combat operations, especially over there, where friend is not easily distinguished from foe. That thing would SEVERELY restrict your visibility, making you far less effective a soldier.

There has to be a balance stuck between protection, mobility, and visibility. I mean, we could make heavy suits of kevlar armour for all our troops, but if they can't see or move effectively, it ends up being more dangerous, despite being impervious to bullets.

We 'are' the evil empire. So it's appropriate that our soldiers looks the part.

I don't remember seeing any Rebel suicide bombers in the OT... maybe they were "just off-camera"? @hmmm@

Having said that, let's now keep political agendas out of this!

that's about as useful as kevlar (which doesn't really do as much good for soldiers as people would like to believe). if a guy's running convoy duty in iraq and an IED goes off, that little face guard isn't going to do squat. sure it might deflect a few small pieces of shrapnel, but he'll still get smacked pretty hard.