Are these really that rare to cost this much!?

Cobra Command

I would never pay that much for a loose figure.

Maybe you wouldn't, but a lot of collectors would. Have you ever looked for a MINT Viper Pilot? It's one of the most difficult figures in the entire line to find. If you look at the silver logo funny, part of it wears off. This specimen looks to be in amazing shape. While I think the BIN price is a bit high, it is in line for this figure in the shape that it appears to be in.

There are very few truely rare pieces in the Joe line. I would consider a MINT Viper Pilot to be among them. As such, you can expect to pay a premium for one when the time comes to add him to your collection.

anyone who spends that much on a single toy has priority issues, and yeah even if they can easily afford it, there are still better things to do with your money.

Top Dollar for me would be about $100. I've seen 'em go for about $70 to $80 recently, but that price is stretching it. I'll admit though, that symbol looks great!

Damn, I wish I hadn't sold my mint one.... :(

That's one of the figures that I'm having the most problems getting my hands on b/c of the high price tag that he usually has. There's no way I'd pay $175 for him, especially right now. Maybe if I was rich and didn't know what else to do with my money.

anyone who spends that much on a single toy has priority issues, and yeah even if they can easily afford it, there are still better things to do with your money.

that logic can be applied to paying any amount for toys. no offense, but some people probably feel the same way about you buying a $3 dollar figure, so even you have your priorities crooked and should have better things to do with your money.

sorry, but I don't think you should be judging anyone on how much they spend. for someone who clocks in 7 figures, paying $200 for this figure is as significant to his income as you buying a $3 figure, so the matter isn't as absolute as you would like it to be.

I would never pay that much for a loose figure.

Maybe you wouldn't, but a lot of collectors would. Have you ever looked for a MINT Viper Pilot? It's one of the most difficult figures in the entire line to find. If you look at the silver logo funny, part of it wears off. This specimen looks to be in amazing shape. While I think the BIN price is a bit high, it is in line for this figure in the shape that it appears to be in.

There are very few truely rare pieces in the Joe line. I would consider a MINT Viper Pilot to be among them. As such, you can expect to pay a premium for one when the time comes to add him to your collection.

Yes it's rare, but no more rare than a tan Grunt, which was also from a glider released paired with the viper glider. Grunt can be had in the $20 - $30 area easily.

Yes it's rare, but no more rare than a tan Grunt,

That is not correct. Tons of overstock Tan Grunts were made available to the collecting community from one primary source in the '90's. As such, there are dozens or more Grunt figures for every Viper Pilot. Plus, the Viper Pilot is incredibly fragile, much more so than the Grunt, so fewer mint specimens survived from childhood collections.

TS- Your absolutely right about the rarity of the figure, but the rarity of finding a MINT symbol on those figures is a whole other deal. Tan Grunt is one of those figs most dealers have at least 2 or 3 of, so he's not really rare.

OCH- Yeah, I scored a dead mint on at a local flea market for $2, and resold to for $45 (back in late 1996). I thought that it wouldn't be a huge to deal to find another dead mint one, but it's been almost 10 years, and I still haven't found one for a "decent" price (and I'm pretty liberal when it comes to paying for good/rare figures). I have a placeholder with 2/3rds of a symbol that I got for $40 about 3 years ago, but nothing since then, and if they continues to go up it'll be a while yet.

Ren- Faking that symbol is practically impossible. I've seen a lot of folks come REAL close, but if you know what your looking at, don't be concerned. The only way to reproduce that symbol correctly is with a spray mask, and everything else will leave telltale's that it's faked.

Rev- I understand what your saying, but I've paid big bucks in the past as my budget allowed for figures. It's all relative because for you it'd be ludicrous, but for Joe Collector Rich Guy it's a drop in the bucket and not worth concern.

Like I have always stated before rare or not all figures are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. When I think about paying that much for one figure I always think about how much more I can get. But then I am not in the market for the older figures because I already have the majority of them in mint condition.

That's nothing.Take a look at this.The guy bidding really wants this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-GI-Joe-Vamp-Mark-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow that's not to bad I would have paid that too. Moc joes of that year are goin for $250 and that is just a figure so in this case a figure which is after all clutch and a vehicle I say that is a deal (MIB). Now As for the viper polit dammmmmm lol. That is a lot and I didn't even know a viper polit goes for that much ($100) either, I got 2 anybody want to buy one for $100? Lol I'm jokin. @loll@

I wouldn't pay that much for this viper pilot, but I'm sure there's someone out there that would. The seller obviously hopes to connect with that kind of person.

It was nice to get a look at that crisp, clean silver logo, though. I don't often see viper pilots in that condition. And with prices like these, I don't think I'll be seeing one up close and personal any time soon.

Come to think of it, the 45 dollar viper I ref WAS FROM THIS SELLER!

It must have had a bad eblem then, because I think this guy seriously schill bids. I bought a few army builders from him back when I was unknowledgable on joes. I got bent over.

When I was watching several of his auctions a few months ago I saw, I razorback with driver go for 112, a rattler with wild weasel for 100+, The rattler II with vypra went for like 150, and he had a hurricane go for like 120...all of his auctions went for ridiculously high amounts compared to normal ebay amounts for the same items