Sith Practicly Shutout

Wheeljack35

I found this on verizon.net

_ THE FORCE IS WEAK: Speaking of "Star Wars," seems that barely anyone was among Academy voters. "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," the sixth and (hopefully) final installment in George Lucas' epic galactic saga, failed to earn a nomination for best visual effects. All five previous movies either were recognized in the category or received a special achievement award for their high-tech visuals, the work of Lucas' company Industrial Light & Magic. "Sith" did get a nomination for best makeup, though - and it made over $380 million at the box office.

As usual everybody wants artsie crap

_ THE FORCE IS WEAK: Speaking of "Star Wars," seems that barely anyone was among Academy voters. "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," the sixth and (hopefully) final installment in George Lucas' epic galactic saga, failed to earn a nomination for best visual effects. All five previous movies either were recognized in the category or received a special achievement award for their high-tech visuals, the work of Lucas' company Industrial Light & Magic. "Sith" did get a nomination for best makeup, though - and it made over $380 million at the box office.

It has nothing to do with "artsie crap". Its about technical merit.

All Lucas has done in Revenge of the Sith is use the digital process on the same way that he did with Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace--he broke NO NEW GROUND in how he created ROTS.

The other films nominated used the various film technologies in ways that were different enough to be considered novel and this merit there nominations.

Remember that the Oscars are not an award given for the most popular film, but for those that elevate and progress the art and technical aspects of the craft of cinema.

Lucas has already gained awards for his contributions in those respects, but this time around, his work has offered nothing worth noting.

Ah well...

All Lucas has done in Revenge of the Sith is use the digital process on the same way that he did with Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace--he broke NO NEW GROUND in how he created ROTS.

The other films nominated used the various film technologies in ways that were different enough to be considered novel and this merit there nominations.

Remember that the Oscars are not an award given for the most popular film, but for those that elevate and progress the art and technical aspects of the craft of cinema.

Lucas has already gained awards for his contributions in those respects, but this time around, his work has offered nothing worth noting.

Agreed, although I think if Episodes I and II had been as good as Episode III, one of them might have garnered a nomination. Unfortunately, though by far the best of the three, the whole prequel franchise is somewhat judged as a whole, in my opinion.

In all truth, the reason that George Lucas and LucasArts never wins anything like these awards is because when he was trying to make Ep IV in 1977, no one would fund or assist the film, and the studio wanted to completely edit and change the original script and use actors they wanted to use, so Lucas dropped out of the Screen Actors Guild and made the film on his own. Ever since, very few actors will work for him, and fewer studios will produce them. This is actual fact, and is not at all hidden among the Academy.

Pat

I wasn't looking for best picture......or special effects.But there were other awrds that this kind of movie gets nominated for.I'm not talking about Best Actor or Actress either

I heard on the 5:00 news tonight that ROTS only has one nomination and that was for best makeup. ( probably for palpatin to twisted deformed emperor & anakin to charcoal bricket plus

aliens)

Edited by TOYMAN65

In all truth, the reason that George Lucas and LucasArts never wins anything like these awards is because when he was trying to make Ep IV in 1977, no one would fund or assist the film, and the studio wanted to completely edit and change the original script and use actors they wanted to use, so Lucas dropped out of the Screen Actors Guild and made the film on his own. Ever since, very few actors will work for him, and fewer studios will produce them. This is actual fact, and is not at all hidden among the Academy.

Pat

Ah, but Pat, the Screen Actor's Guild and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are two very different things.

ANYONE can be a member, and have a vote in the nominations, of the Academy, but not the Screen Actor's Guild.

Lucas big claim to fame with these movies have been making real the term " blockbuster" and pushing the various camer and computer technologies to blow away the practical restictions in filmmaking.

In essence, his awards have been for increasing, exponentially, the bag of tricks that cinematic storytellers now have. I think after been given the Irving J. Falberg award a few years back, he's pretty much gotten all the Academy can give him with what he's created.

The Star Wars films are much beloved by millions of people, but as art they lack a lot in acting, film technique and writing--and hence in directing. There are simply better works in many of those other categories out there.

again,

Blockbusters usually never win the Oscar for best picture.Back in 1978 at the Acadamy Awards,Star Wars was beat out by a Woody Allen film,Annie Hall.They win for Best Visual Effects,Sound Music score blah blah blah.

The only blockbuster I recall that has won best picture was Titanic

I heard on the 5:00 news tonight that ROTS only has one nomination and that was for best makeup. ( probably for palpatin to twisted deformed emperor & anakin to charcoal bricket plus

aliens)

Just curious.. but did you actually read the first post?

again,

Blockbusters usually never win the Oscar for best picture.Back in 1978 at the Acadamy Awards,Star Wars was beat out by a Woody Allen film,Annie Hall.They win for Best Visual Effects,Sound Music score blah blah blah.

Didn't Return of the King get it? I don't recall for sure...

It really is a shame Eps 1 & 2 were not on the level of 3. Here's how I see it:

1. Largely just outright sucked except for a few cool moments like the first bit with Ben and Qui-Gon in the Trade Federation ship.

2. Just kinda....there. Didn't suck, but it wasn't really good. The storytelling in this one is what really hurts it. Too much going on offscreen and in secret. ALOT happens on this film, but because so much of it is "between the scenes", your average person didn't understand the Seperatists, Dooku, any of the senate manipulations, the timeline of growing the clones to be in place with the Seperatists due to Dooku being a plant, etc. Again, the poor storyelling killed it, along with the Anakin/Padme scenes.

3. Well, this one hit home. Not because of violence, or "darkness", but because the pacing was better, the dialogue was TONS better, the comic relief was again placed in the hands of the droids, the oppressive childishness of the first two prequals was gone. Even Anakin was far more believeable due to upgraded acting.

Just looking back on it amazes me because I see SO many blown opportunities to make the entire prequel trilogy as good as part 3. Oh well, it's history now!

again,

Lord of the Rings could also qualify, it also won best picture, iirc.

It really is a shame Eps 1 & 2 were not on the level of 3. Here's how I see it:

1. Largely just outright sucked except for a few cool moments like the first bit with Ben and Qui-Gon in the Trade Federation ship.

2. Just kinda....there. Didn't suck, but it wasn't really good. The storytelling in this one is what really hurts it. Too much going on offscreen and in secret. ALOT happens on this film, but because so much of it is "between the scenes", your average person didn't understand the Seperatists, Dooku, any of the senate manipulations, the timeline of growing the clones to be in place with the Seperatists due to Dooku being a plant, etc. Again, the poor storyelling killed it, along with the Anakin/Padme scenes.

3. Well, this one hit home. Not because of violence, or "darkness", but because the pacing was better, the dialogue was TONS better, the comic relief was again placed in the hands of the droids, the oppressive childishness of the first two prequals was gone. Even Anakin was far more believeable due to upgraded acting.

Just looking back on it amazes me because I see SO many blown opportunities to make the entire prequel trilogy as good as part 3. Oh well, it's history now!

Yeah, that's all pretty much exactly what I think of them both. I actually wouldn't mind one bit if Lucas revisted I and II, or even completely remade them.

again,

How did I forget that one

They only want Brokeback Mountain this year

I found this on theforce.net

Hayden Christensen Nominated

Hayden Christensen was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor in this years Razzie Awards.

Here's the competition he'll be facing in this category.

Hayden Christensen - Star Wars III

Alan Cumming - Son of the Mask

Bob Hoskins - Son of the Mask

Eugene Levy - Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and The Man

Burt Reynolds - The Dukes of Hazzard and The Longest Yard

again,

Gladiator was a big blockbuster as well and it won Best actor (Crowe) and Best picture and it rightfully deserved to.It was a TERRIFIC film with great sound,great cinematography,it certainly had an intriguing story and it definitely entertained.

Braveheart too.....both those movies were smash-hits at the box-office.

Someone brought up that Star Wars Ep.3 didn't break any new visual ground. Well when I looked at the nominees...they really didn't seem to either. King Kong had a lot of visuals, but it was Peter Jackson's same visual effects company and he used the same method for Kong that he used for Gollum,even with the same actor (Andy Serkis)! And Jackson's visual company also worked on Narnia,which is essentially Lord of the Rings lite for kids.War of the Worlds...well...we've seen effects like that in lots of films before,nothing new. I'm not saying Star Wars did not deserve to be there but I'm not saying that if it was there that it didn't. The Fellowship of the Ring received A LOT of nominations one year but Two Towers was snubbed the next year and the Academy used the lame excuse that it was "a lot of the same".Then Return of the King racked up the nominations again the next year.Even though it was just "more of the same".

The acting really wasn't great at all in any of the prequels.

With the exception of Ewen McGregor.

The dialogue between anakin and padma wanted to make me hurl it was delivered so poorly.

George Lucas' writing is crap, that's all there really is to it. I don't know how they could be expected to deliver those lines.

That being said I did really like ROTS, and agree that it should have gotten at least the technical awards the above-mentioned fantasy and sci-fi films got. But whatever... I couldn't care less about the Oscars.