I got the masterpiece voltron!

JGracing9

this is one of the greatest toy i ever got.if not the greatest.its an incredible recreation of one of the most popular icons of the 80s.voltron comes in box that looks like a huge book.the spine of the book is a picture of the voltron force. inside is a beautifully done story and introduction to voltron. the second page is clear window which shows the black,red and green lions in the bubble. close that and in the back page is a certiciate of authetisity and clear wrap with the blue and yellow lions. you side them out from the top of the book/boxthe paint applications are incredible not a singel mistake on mine.the black lion has movement never before thought a voltron could have. his knee joints move in either direction. he has a movement in his leg between the black and crome section. his hips are ball jointed. his waist can move.the front legs are as articulated as the hind legs. like the original bandi voltron his front legs go into his shoulders to hide them when transformed. his wings open like the original. the lion has a neck now unlike the original voltron.allows for head turning left to right and up and down. when voltron neck is ball jointed. the feet lions (blue and yellow) are alot like the origianl voltron except their not molded stright like the old ones they have a curve on there backs to look more like natual lions.the heads move left to right in a limited way. the mouths dont have a spring like the old ones did(good less likely to break)the missle launcher on their backs dont open on these. now to the arms the lion heads dont shoot out. but thats a good thing how many have lost these before lol.the legs are really nicely done and the lions waist which is voltrons elbows can be rotated so the lione can sit on there hind legs.the tail is not what connects to the black lion anymore. they a similar joint but the tail is above it and not the joint anymore. the tails are pushed inside the lions now the legs are like this too. the tails dont lie on the backs of the lions they are pushed into the lions now. voltron comes with his blazing sword and sheild he barly uses. no other weapons. voltrons knees can actually bend now also

dscf01285sr.jpg

dscf01297mo.jpg

dscf01305pc.jpg

dscf01313rb.jpg

dscf01324mf.jpg

dscf01331fq.jpg

dscf01348oc.jpg

dscf01350pl.jpg

Congrats on the cool figure, do you happen to have 20th/MP Prime, if so could post a pic or two of Voltron next to him?

no sorry i dont really collect transformers. voltrons is an exception tho cause hes voltron!iam really a star wars,wrestling figure man

Oh ok cool. :(

That's very nice! Had the different Voltron's back in the early 80's (no longer). If you grew up watching the show, definitely worth getting. I've contemplated getting all three Voltron's again...

kndy

Ouch 149$'s.

You can get an original misb one on ebay.

And its only 11in tall? That kinda stinks..

Still badass looking though.

There are so many Voltron variations out there (Matchbox, Panosh Place, Trendmasters, etc.) that if you are a Voltron collector, you have to be careful because you may get one that's all plastic or another variation (ala knockoff) released in Asia. Just dont' spend too much on the all-plastic ones, you should be able to get those cheap. For these Toynami anniversary ones, rarely have I seen these under $140. For those who have the 1984 Matchbox versions and this version, aside from the body of the lions, any major differences?

kndy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just got mine in the mail today from BBTS. Definately the definative version of the figure. Less bulky then the Matchbox/Trendmasters version, but with good weight none the less. Has great articulation, just enough that it can achieve alot of poses, but not to much that it detracts from the figure. To the tip of the back wings the figure stands just under a foot tall. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my Masterpiece Prime so I can't get pictures of the two, but perhaps I will tonight.

While the figure is pricey I think its is worth it and I think that demand for the figure will most likely lead to it not dropping all that much as with the Toynami Valks.

There are a few areas where the paint aps are a little sloppy on mine, green lion's number has some red paint bleeding into the yelllow.

And of course there is the normal proportion problems for the lions, but really you can't make the green and red lions to much bigger without really hurting the Voltron mode, and since most collectors will have it displayed in this mode that is the correct one to make look right.

I think this is a quality figure worthy of the masterpiece name, and much better then the Trendmasters version that I have at home. If you are a fan of the series you really do need to find a way to get this figure in your collection.

Got a good deal on mine a few days ago ($130 even) but I just opened it up today. Ever since I heard about them when I was a wee kid I always wanted a Voltron, but I never had one to call my own (nor seen one out of the box) until now, so it was a pretty exciting moment for me when I opened it up and put it together.

voltron2.jpg

Cool, I'm glad to see these are finally out. I'm so tempted to get a set, but I can't justify it. I liked Voltron and watched it when I was a kid, but it wasn't my absolute favorite. Still, it is tempting...

Were u able to snap the peg of the shield into place on his left (green lion), cuz mine can't seem to reach it due to the width of his forearm? Not sure if its just a specific defect on mine or if thats just how it is. But even if it a design flaw, I won't be bothered too much. I don't remember him using the shield much anyway.

Oh and did anyone see LOST last nite? That rockstar (forgot his name) had a weird flashback to a childhood x-mas where his brother got Voltron from santa.

@loll@ @loll@ Just got mine today.....and by george.......what a huge box/book, ehehee!

Well, from the look without taking it out, the figure looks great! Too bad Voltron only came with the sword and shield. I woundn't mine seeing the leg lions retain its missile pouch open out like the Matchbox/Trendmaster. Well, other weapon would be nice too. As for the arm lion heads not able to fire out, I thought that was great...less problem as time pass on.

Otherwise, can't wait to open up later of the day.

And with that.....bring on MP Vehicle Voltron!

EDIT:

Okay, I got a chance to play with it.

Positives:

1 - Bless the extra arm lion head peg for adding the extra stability to both the sword and shield.

2 - Design to look like the cartoon is beautiful. The narrow wing of the black lion really look good as oppose to the Matchbox. And more importantly, the lions look very sleek and very curve like they were organic creature. Well done.

3 - Articulation! Love Voltron neck, and how about the arm articulation definitely beautiful.

4 - Always nice to have an all paint application instead of sticker.

Negatives:

1 - I can't stand the lion leg connection to the Black lion knee. On mine, it's even poorer than the Trendmaster/Matchbox version. My MP blue lion leg only connect to the black lion once and then it just falls apart. Connection is very poor despites same method as the TM/Matchbox. I can live with the arm connection.

Overall connection is very poor when forming Voltron. Secondly, he sometime has the tendency to lean slightly backward. But other than, he's beautiful. My grade: B+

Edited by Reminator

This question is to those who own both the 20th Anniversary Master Piece Convoy and the Master Piece Voltron, which one is better and why?

Only ask since the best figure ever released imo is 20th Anniversary Master Piece Convoy, and I wouldn't mind having this Voltron in my collection.

This question is to those who own both the 20th Anniversary Master Piece Convoy and the Master Piece Voltron, which one is better and why?

It's a tough question and in a way it's a little bit unfair to Voltron for some reasons.

But to answer your questions......by the way both figures are great.....yeah, yeah get to the point, I know, I know......agrrrrrrrr, so here it is...........

Personally:

1 - MP Convoy has a much, much more interesting transformation than Voltron which is pretty much simple and it's the same transformation as the old Matchbox/Trendmaster Voltron.

2 - MP Convoy has more accessories and gimmick.

3 - MP Convoy is more stable, his limp doesn't fall off easily like Voltron. Voltron leg connection need to be redesigned.

4 - MP Convoy overall design just looks more beautiful than Voltron whose looks is a little bit too skinny.

5 - MP Convoy cost $50 cheaper than Voltron.

6 - One punch by MP Convoy and all of Voltron part will get disassembled. One punch by Voltron and all of MP Convoy part still stay intact.

7 - If you lift Voltron too roughly, his leg are maybe even his arm will fall off from the Black lion.

8 - MP Convoy is much, much more articulated than Voltron.

9 - MP Convoy has electronic device which cause the Matrix to light up. Voltron has none.

10 - I love TF more than Voltron - muahhahahahha

Between the two I'd have to go with Prime, but for a couple minor reasons...

- I like how they tried to make MP Prime look as close to his cartoon counterpart as possible. Voltron looks quite show accurate , but it would've neat if each lion has the same body proportions that they have in the cartoon

- Legs could have more articulation (in the hip area)

....and thats it. But yeah definitely can't say I hate my Voltron just because of those.